Thai Cinema on DVD

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Wu.Qinghua

Thai Cinema on DVD

#1 Post by Wu.Qinghua » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:43 am

Well, a friend of mine is going to spend her holidays in Thailand and asked me if she should try to track down some movies. I'd like to seize this chance to get hold of a few handfuls of discs with Thai and/or other Asian movies.
Problem is that, though I have seen some of those 'new wave' movies that have been shown in arthouse cinemas in the last years (Ratanaruang, Weerasethakul, Tears of the Black Tiger, Iron Ladies and Beautiful Boxer), I don't know much about Thai cinema. And apart from that, I don't know whether those Thai discs are worth its prices in terms of subtitling, transfer and not at least censorship.
I'd appreciate it if someone could recommend me some other directors/movies or DVDs or could comment on any DVD editions, in the last case particularly on Thai releases of Prince Chatri Chalerm Yukol's movies, which seemingly bear English subtitles.

Btw, I am most interested in movies dealing with topics like labour, everyday living, social movements, migration, gender troubles and so on, but I wouldn't despise good avantgarde and interesting mainstream films.

manicsounds

Re: Thai Cinema on DVD

#2 Post by manicsounds » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm visiting Thailand now and it is hard to find Thai movies of good quality in stores with English subtitles. Even many of the newer releases don't contain them. Add to the problem most stores selling movies are bootleggers, but I have seen some "real" stores here and there.

one thing that was funny was (and I wish I took a picture) there was a store with a sign saying
VCD, DVD, BUL RAG Movies

I was pretty interested with what a Bulrag movie is like