Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Calvin

Re: Arrow Films

#276 Post by Calvin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:20 am

I presume that Il Tetto isn't in HD then?

MichaelB

#277 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:27 am

No, DVD only - but the transfer is very good.

Der Spieler - I've only seen checkdiscs, not the final package.

eerik

#278 Post by eerik » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:28 am

TMDaines wrote:Beaver - Miracle in Milan

Transfer looks a little problematic at times... to say the least. It still seems a decent package overall though, especially after a price drop.
Looks as horrible as the Italian release, it really was a bad restoration job.

TMDaines

#279 Post by TMDaines » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 am

Der Spieler wrote:Does it still come in the classic Arrow "window" slipcase? The listing on Amazon seems to indicate a normal, plastic case.
I'm not sure. Their website sort of shows a slipcase but no word about their trademark packaging.
tajmahal wrote: The Roof is not a minor film by any standards. It's a joy to watch. Moving, funny, and ultimately, a testament to the triumph of the human spirit.
Even if it's a good film, I think many would deem it a minor work in the context of De Sica and neorealism due to when it was produced and the fact that neorealism was all but dead.

TMDaines

#280 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:42 am

TMDaines wrote:
Der Spieler wrote:Does it still come in the classic Arrow "window" slipcase? The listing on Amazon seems to indicate a normal, plastic case.
I'm not sure. Their website sort of shows a slipcase but no word about their trademark packaging
I asked on Facebook and they said it will be a simple Blu-ray case.

ellipsis7

#281 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 am

Yes, it's a standard Blu-Ray transparent blue case with 3 discs... IL TETTO's significance is that it is a straightforward De Sica/Zavattini collaboration in a neo-realist vein after the very mixed experience of TERMINAL STATION/INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE, which was altogether a troublesome international coproduction...

Decided on Friday evening to add this to my order on the basis of The Beaver review, it and the 2 excellent MoC Pasolini's despatched Saturday by standard delivery & arrived in the post today!... So presently marvelling at THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW et al. on BR a little earlier than expected...

Der Spieler

#282 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 am

TMDaines wrote:
TMDaines wrote:
I'm not sure. Their website sort of shows a slipcase but no word about their trademark packaging
I'm not a packaging fetishist but I liked theirs a lot. Bummer.

TMDaines

#283 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:50 am

Me too. I hate labels being inconsistent with their packaging as it ruins the display on my shelves!

I doubt finding artwork was a problem as there's many great posters for this film available.
Last edited by TMDaines on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Der Spieler

#284 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am

Well Arrow Video are also considering the same move.

TMDaines

#285 Post by TMDaines » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm

In fairness, I imagine the cost over a simple keep case is quite significant but it would be a real shame if they did away with it as it's their signature after all.

Der Spieler

#286 Post by Der Spieler » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Yeah. My OCD evil twin is annoyed. :evil:

MichaelB

#287 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:22 am

Arrow confirms that they're discontinuing the windowed slipcases.

TMDaines

#288 Post by TMDaines » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 am

I presume that covers Arrow Academy as well as Arrow Video but, regardless, it sounds like a win-win if we get a price drop and more titles being released.

MichaelB

#289 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:04 am

The move to dual-format across the board should save money too.

TMDaines

#290 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am

TMDaines wrote:
TMDaines wrote:
And simple Blu-ray case it is. Not even a clear one like for their other releases and the MoCs and BFIs. Looks a little crap compared to the rest of the line to be honest.

Hope this isn't the end for Arrow Academy but everything that has been announced, has been released.

Calvin

#291 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am

Arrow told me a few weeks ago that they'll "have an Academy break whilst [they] put together the rest of [their] releases for the year (there's a lot)!"

TMDaines

#292 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Calvin wrote:Arrow told me a few weeks ago that they'll "have an Academy break whilst [they] put together the rest of [their] releases for the year (there's a lot)!"
Not sure I understood: there's going to be a break now but "there's a lot" of releases still to come this year?

Der Spieler

#293 Post by Der Spieler » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 pm

*sigh*

I hate it when a label botches like that. It reminds me of Universal's Centennial Collection.

Calvin

#294 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I took it to mean that they were releasing a lot of those cult B-movies that they're famous for

antnield

#295 Post by antnield » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Calvin wrote:Arrow told me a few weeks ago that they'll "have an Academy break whilst [they] put together the rest of [their] releases for the year (there's a lot)!"
Not sure I understood: there's going to be a break now but "there's a lot" of releases still to come this year?
A break from Arrow Academy releases, but plenty of non-Academy discs still to come from the label.

MichaelB

#296 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:24 pm

I have a commission to produce a booklet for an upcoming Arrow Academy release, but I don't have a deadline as it's not out till the end of the year.

TMDaines

#297 Post by TMDaines » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:10 am

Arrow on Facebook wrote:The case should be clear? We're taking an Academy break for a while as we prepare a big slate for later in the year. As soon as we have everything pinned down we will make an announcement. We can say right now it'll be at least 9 French films hopefully all in HD...
Arrow on Facebook wrote:That's very strange, we will investigate.This must be a factory error, the copies we received in the office had a clear case and our order specified clear. Very sorry about this, we will see what we can do about it.

Kauno

#298 Post by Kauno » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:06 am

TMDaines wrote:And simple Blu-ray case it is. Not even a clear one like for their other releases and the MoCs and BFIs.
Oh? I got Miracolo a Milano/Il tetto in clear case (the Blu-ray logo is in blue, but otherwise clear). Received it from Zavvi over a week ago.

Calvin

#299 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Interesting, I wonder what those "9 French films" could be?

perkizitore

#300 Post by perkizitore » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Jean Rollin?