Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

JPJ

Re: Arrow Films

#326 Post by JPJ » Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 am

I don't usually care about cover art one way or the other but House by the cemetery must be one of the worst ever.Reminds me about eighties VHS covers,maybe that was the point.

Bürgermeister

#327 Post by Bürgermeister » Tue May 15, 2012 12:26 pm

manicsounds wrote:House By The Cemetary review on Blu-ray.com, this is for the dual format version, not the limited edition, which is only different by packaging.

Arrow said the limited edition packaging will now be delayed until June....
Yeah they packed the wrong discs in the Limited Blu release, and sent it out company's without even noticing(checking) their mistake until it was too late. :-s

I wonder if it's possible for Arrow to release something that doesn't have an error of some sort...

TMDaines

#328 Post by TMDaines » Tue May 15, 2012 12:50 pm

It wasn't Arrow's fault. It was the fault of those they outsourced the packaging to or something. However...

I received my Il conformista replacement packaging yesterday after the BERNANDO fuck-up. They sent it flat in a bubble envelope with no protection. Needless to say it was ruined. They now want me to return said slipcase and cover insert at my expense before they send another. They want damaged replacement packaging that they just sent to me returned... it's not even a disc or complete product.

Bürgermeister

#329 Post by Bürgermeister » Tue May 15, 2012 1:25 pm

TMDaines wrote:It wasn't Arrow's fault. It was the fault of those they outsourced the packaging to or something. However...
But isn't it Arrow's responsibility to check their product before sending it out to company's?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#330 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm

I imagine it goes straight from the manufacturer right to the distro

MichaelB

#331 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 15, 2012 2:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:I imagine it goes straight from the manufacturer right to the distro
Yes, that's exactly what happens - sending everything to the label for them to ship out to distributors themselves would create far more work for them.

What typically happens is that the bulk of the product will go straight to the distributors (via a hub such as the now notorious Sony DADC warehouse), while a few boxes will go to the label. Someone there should then check a sample immediately for defects, and if they find any they should notionally be able to delay the release, which seems to be what's happened here.

Unfortunately, when the BFI had a similar issue with Institute Benjamenta (the Blu-ray in the dual-format package was fine, but the DVD turned out to be one of the Flipside titles released the same month) it turned out that HMV had sent out orders several days in advance of the release date, which complicated things slightly - though I seem to recall that it was all sorted out within a fortnight.

But these incidents are almost invariably down to human error at the manufacturing stage, not the label. And it happens to everyone at some point - even Criterion. It's not logistically feasible for a single individual to personally oversee every single part of the process - and in the vast majority of cases it shouldn't be necessary.

kneelzod

#332 Post by kneelzod » Tue May 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Oy, what a headache. "BERNANDO"? Aye, aye, aye. ](*,)
TMDaines wrote:It wasn't Arrow's fault. It was the fault of those they outsourced the packaging to or something. However...

I received my Il conformista replacement packaging yesterday after the BERNANDO fuck-up. They sent it flat in a bubble envelope with no protection. Needless to say it was ruined. They now want me to return said slipcase and cover insert at my expense before they send another. They want damaged replacement packaging that they just sent to me returned... it's not even a disc or complete product.

zedz

#333 Post by zedz » Tue May 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Can you hear the drums, Bernando?
They are pounding on this poor sap's fragile bubble envelope. . .

tojoed

#334 Post by tojoed » Tue May 15, 2012 4:38 pm

It wasn't BERNANDO, it was BERNDARDO. Anyhow, best to keep the error packaging, as collectors will be after it in a year or so.
By the way, Daines, I've never had anything get trashed in the mail in a bubble bag.
I even had an LP sent to me the other day, by an idiot, I admit, who just wrapped it in brown paper. It still arrived in perfect condition, though I feared the worst when opening it.
You seem to get a lot of damaged stuff.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#335 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 15, 2012 5:05 pm

tojoed wrote:I even had an LP sent to me the other day, by an idiot, I admit, who just wrapped it in brown paper. It still arrived in perfect condition, though I feared the worst when opening it.
:shock: Jesus Daddy and the Spook, I'd have had a heart attack regardless

TMDaines

#336 Post by TMDaines » Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 pm

tojoed wrote:It wasn't BERNANDO, it was BERNDARDO. Anyhow, best to keep the error packaging, as collectors will be after it in a year or so.
By the way, Daines, I've never had anything get trashed in the mail in a bubble bag.
I even had an LP sent to me the other day, by an idiot, I admit, who just wrapped it in brown paper. It still arrived in perfect condition, though I feared the worst when opening it.
You seem to get a lot of damaged stuff.
Aye, I'm not sure what happens at the local post rooms but if anything non-keepcase isn't sent with some protection it inevitably arrives damaged. UK retailers are normally fine as they all use good cardboard envelopes but anything from the US has no chance. Book Depository is the worst though and I've all but stopped using them as only about 1 in 5 or 6 orders arrives without being seriously grubby, dented or with some sort of damp damage.

manicsounds

#337 Post by manicsounds » Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Their "City Of The Living Dead" says "Lucio Fulgi" on the back cover on one of the extras.... can't always be perfect with names.

colinr0380

#338 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:51 am

domino harvey wrote:
tojoed wrote:I even had an LP sent to me the other day, by an idiot, I admit, who just wrapped it in brown paper. It still arrived in perfect condition, though I feared the worst when opening it.
:shock: Jesus Daddy and the Spook, I'd have had a heart attack regardless
I could imagine it arriving at tojoed's house in perfect condition and then the mailman snapping it neatly in half to push it through the letterbox!

tojoed

#339 Post by tojoed » Wed May 16, 2012 4:15 pm

The funny thing was the postman said to me " I know you're a vinyl man, so I've taken care of it, but
God knows how it got this far undamaged, er, if it is undamaged."
Even stranger, I only bought it for a laugh because the description was so dumb and it only cost me 99p. Turned out to be a top copy of "Out of Our Heads", Decca original, and probably worth £70-£80.
Sorry, I've drifted off-topic, feel free to give me a slap.

exidor

#340 Post by exidor » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 am

Another 1 hour sale on its way tomorrow at 3pm UK time.

RossyG

#341 Post by RossyG » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Bugger! Missed it. What was it?

MichaelB

#342 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 pm

SpoilerShow
Blu-rays of Deep Red and Spirits of the Dead for £7.99 apiece - but Zavvi is currently doing the latter for less.

RossyG

#343 Post by RossyG » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 am

Cheers, Michael. Don't want the former and already have the latter, so nothing missed. :)

rattlebag

#344 Post by rattlebag » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 am

Arrow have a 3 for £25 on the site at the moment.

I just ordered Rififi, Ashes and Diamonds and The Conformist which is a total bargain for those three on dual format.

TMDaines

#345 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Hopefully they can just do a Blu-ray version of their four disk DVD set.

Calvin

#346 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am

Announcement on Friday. Safe to say that Zombie Flesh Eaters is among the titles. No Academy releases until next year.

stagefright50

#347 Post by stagefright50 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Now they've started DNR-ing the shit out of their covers!

eerik

#348 Post by eerik » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 am

19th November
A Simple Life

17th December
The Killing: Season 3
The Killing: Seasons 1-3

26th December
Baraka
Samsara
Samsara/Baraka

MichaelB

#349 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:46 am

stagefright50 wrote:Now they've started DNR-ing the shit out of their covers!
Although I laughed, it's probably worth stressing that it's not Arrow themselves who apply the DNR - it's their suppliers. Arrow themselves would much rather work with unadulterated masters, and the likes of Rififi show what they're capable of when they're in that happy situation.

Finch

#350 Post by Finch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 am

The new line-up got leaked on the CineLab forums and now confirmed by Arrow (first 3 titles DVD only):

Super Bitch (Blue movie Blackmail 1973)
The Night Child (Il medaglione insanguinato 1975)
Christmas Evil (You Better Watch Out 1980)
Zombie Flesh Eaters: Blu-ray standard, Blu-ray steelbook, DVD