Dark City (1950)

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Dark City (1950)

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally developed as a star vehicle for Burt Lancaster, the lead role in the gripping revenge noir Dark City ultimately became the Hollywood debut of 26-year-old Charlton Heston, already confidently wielding the intense, rugged charisma that would define his career.

Once a decorated war hero, Danny Haley (played by Heston) now leads a group of small-time card sharks who know a sucker when they see one. They cheat their latest mark, Arthur (Don DeFore, Ramrod) out of $5000 at the poker table; but when Arthur hangs himself in despair, his unstable, hulking older brother (Mike Mazurki, Night and the City) seeks violent revenge on the grifters responsible. As the bodies pile up, Danny and his lover, nightclub singer Fran (Lizabeth Scott, Too Late For Tears), flee to Las Vegas… but Danny is about to learn he can’t hide from the consequences of his actions.

Expertly directed by William Dieterle (The Devil and Daniel Webster) and featuring a terrific supporting cast (including future Dragnet stars Jack Webb and Harry Morgan), Dark City is a nail-biting suspense classic that heralded a future screen icon.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation
  • Original uncompressed mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by writer, historian and film programmer Alan K. Rode
  • Newly filmed appreciation by critic Philip Kemp
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tonci Zonjic
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Dark City

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 pm

This is not a “nail-biting suspense classic” by any stretch of imagination. But while the film doesn’t quite work, Heston is good as an asshole (it’s the part he was born to play, baby) and there’s some fun supporting roles from familiar faces. I already have this in Olive’s Film Noir Blu-Ray set, so it’s an easy pass anyways, though the extras look nice... though every time I see energy exerted by Arrow for noir ephemera like this, I continue scratching my head at how Phantom Lady got short-changed

Finch

#3 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Not having seen the film, my first reaction was: oh, William Dieterle! Charlton Heston! And then I read a few capsule reviews, and they sadly make the Arrow blurb look like hyperbole.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm

In a perfect world...
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring hyperbole on the film

reaky

#5 Post by reaky » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm

domino harvey wrote:Heston is good as an asshole (it’s the part he was born to play, baby)
Absolutely. See also the first half of Planet of the Apes.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:24 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm
In a perfect world...
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring hyperbole on the film
At this point, claiming someone can buy a copy of an Arrow release that includes the booklet sounds like hyperbole!

nitin

#7 Post by nitin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 pm

I quite like this but unless it’s a drastic improvement on the Olive PQ wise, no need to get it. Terrible cover too.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 pm

I think the cover's great

nitin

#9 Post by nitin » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:01 am

I think it’s the red highlights that are putting me off, particularly in the hair and on the shoulders.

HJackson

#10 Post by HJackson » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:13 am

I love the cover. Will have to revisit the Olive blu to see if I like this one enough to double dip though.

reaky

#11 Post by reaky » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:01 am

Er, what? Arrow’s “Special Pre-order Discount” now seems to amount to £15 plus postage.