King of New York

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

King of New York

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Where “Scarface” left off… “King of New York” begins

Christopher Walken is out of prison and back on the dirty streets of New York as convicted drug lord Frank White in a pitch black 90s crime classic from the magnificently disreputable Abel Ferrara (The Driller Killer, Ms.45).

White returns to his old patch to find it in disarray as the parasites that moved in to capture his business don’t share in the same Robin Hood spirit. Soon he’s violently taking out the competition, stealing their stashes and turning a healthy profit on the gear, putting it towards building a new South Bronx hospital.

But you can’t make an omelette without breaking some heads. As the street killings rise and the corrupt cops close in, White’s crazed mix of criminal psychosis and heartfelt charity threatens to tear apart everything he’s fought so hard to build…

CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • 5.1 DTS-HD and 2.0 Stereo audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary with director Abel Ferrara
  • Audio commentary with composer Joe Delia, producer Mary Kane, casting director Randy Sabusawa and editor Anthony Redman
  • Brand new interview with director Abel Ferrara
  • Interview with producer Augusto Caminito
  • Abel Ferrara: Not Guilty: Documentary on Abel Ferrara from the French TV show Cinéastes de Notre Temps
  • A Short Film about the Long Career of Abel Ferrara: This documentary looks at Abel Ferrara’s career including interviews with his key collaborators
  • Original Trailers
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Dude Designs

Slaphappy

Re: King of New York

#2 Post by Slaphappy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:31 pm
[*]Brand new interview with director Abel Ferrara
This was pretty funny interview even if Ferrara seemed to be completely sober. The interviewer made her best effort to get Ferrara to talk about the themes of the movie and say something positive about Walken’s character. Ferrara was being very elusive, but he ended up saying three things: 1) He had seen The Terminator and had though ”ok, kids are into this kind of crap these days” and wanted to try to do something similar for a box office hit. 2) New York was flooded with coke back then, which, knowing Ferrara, means, that he was doing a lot of it when writing the script and also drug money was invested for making the movie. 3) He wanted to write a character, that was a complicated megalomaniac. I think the interviewer expected Ferrara to say something about healthcare or racism and I expected that myself too. Instead I found out, that the movie was actually in many ways a product of Pablo Escobar.

Faisal Ahmad

#3 Post by Faisal Ahmad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm

One of my favourite releases, I have it in the steelbook (Arrow don't seem to be doing steelbooks as much now, I don't know why).

The intro to the audio commentary is very funny. "I'm here because they gave me 5 grand cash."

And the documentary "Abel Ferrara: Not Guilty" might be my favourite thing on there apart from the film of course. Following him through his chaotic nightlife but laser-focused when he's directing ("I don't want anyone in her sight line!") and the excellent critique he gives of Donnie Brasco.

"It's my world. And you ain't part of it," he shouts from a taxi at one point. Yes it is Abel!

Great disc.

MichaelB

King of New York

#4 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:29 am

Don’t whatever you do play it with the 5.1 soundtrack under the impression that it’ll be better than the 2.0 track, because it falls miles short.

I QCed this title way back when, and I was so startled by how anaemic the 5.1 track sounded that I trawled through numerous reviews of the US disc to see if it had had a similarly negative reception - and was relieved to see that it had. I even suggested that Arrow drop the track altogether, but I can see why they kept it as a selling point - but it really is very poor indeed.

By contrast, the 2.0 track replicates the original Dolby Stereo, and most amps should be able to demux the original 4.0 soundstage. So it’s basically what you’d have heard in cinemas, and sounds great.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:19 am

The 5.1 track is indeed abysmal. It's not just poor : it is an awful annoying listen. The volume seems not normalized, especially.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am

Yes, the gunshots are dramatically quieter than they are in the 2.0 track, which can’t be right.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:38 pm

And in opposite, I dont recall what it was but some other stuff was much louder than it should be.