Phantom of the Paradise

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

Phantom of the Paradise

#1 Post by antnield » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Brian De Palma’s inspired rock’n’roll fusion of Faust, The Phantom of the Opera and The Picture of Dorian Gray boasts an Oscar-nominated score by Paul Williams, who also stars as an evil record producer who not only steals the work of composer/performer Winslow Leach (William Finley) but gets him locked up in Sing Sing – and that’s not the worst that happens to him along the way. Few revenge scenarios have ever been so amply justified, but the film is also constantly aware of the satirical possibilities offered by the 1970s music industry, exemplified by Gerrit Graham’s hilariously camp glam-rock star. Jessica Harper (Suspiria) appears in her first major role as the naïve but ambitious singer, on whom Winslow secretly dotes. Prodigiously inventive both musically and visually, this is one of De Palma’s most entertaining romps, not least because it was so clearly a labour of love.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, available in the UK for the first time;
• Original uncompressed Stereo PCM / 4.0 DTS-HD Master Audio options;
• Isolated Music and Effects soundtrack;
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired;
• Paradise Regained – A 50 minute documentary on the making of the film featuring director Brian De Palma, producer Ed Pressman, the late star William Finley, star and composer Paul Williams, co-stars Jessica Harper and Gerrit Graham and more;
• Guillermo Del Toro interviews Paul Williams (72 mins, 2014);
The Swan Song Fiasco: A new video piece exploring the changes made to the film in post-production;
• Archive interview with costume designer Rosanna Norton;
• William Finley on the Phantom doll;
• Paradise Lost and Found: Alternate takes and bloopers from the cutting room floor;
• Original Trailers;
• Radio Spots;
• Gallery of rare stills including behind-the-scenes images by photographer Randy Black;
• Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth and an exploration of the film’s troubled marketing history by Ari Kahan, curator of SwanArchives.org, illustrated with original stills and promotional material
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Red Dress [Amaray release only]
• Limited Edition SteelBook™ packaging featuring original artwork [SteelBook only]

Matt

Re: The Brian De Palma Collection

#2 Post by Matt » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Arrow are absolutely winning the steelbook game.

Feego

#3 Post by Feego » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 pm

In the past, I have generally not cared for steel books and would not spend extra money to have them. But between BFI's recent Nosferatu and this gorgeous hunk'a stuff, I am quickly changing my views.

EddieLarkin

#4 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Wasn't hugely impressed with Nosferatu, preferred the Mabuse steel. House of Usher and Big Trouble in Little China from Arrow are just gorgeous though.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#5 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Feego wrote:In the past, I have generally not cared for steel books and would not spend extra money to have them. But between BFI's recent Nosferatu and this gorgeous hunk'a stuff, I am quickly changing my views.
Nosferatu was MoC, not BFI :wink: but yes, as most of the MoC's steels, it was gorgeous. I do prefer too the Mabuse steel, though.

Feego

#6 Post by Feego » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Ah yes, MoC it was. As mouth-watering as that steel book is, I may wait until Shout Factory announces their edition of Phantom of the Paradise to see what extras they feature. Arrow and Shout are both doing such terrific work with their cult horror releases, that I really love to support both companies.

MichaelB

Phantom of the Paradise

#7 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Full specs announced:
Brian De Palma’s inspired rock’n’roll fusion of Faust, The Phantom of the Opera and The Picture of Dorian Gray boasts an Oscar-nominated score by Paul Williams, who also stars as an evil record producer who not only steals the work of composer/performer Winslow Leach (William Finley) but gets him locked up in Sing Sing – and that’s not the worst that happens to him along the way. Few revenge scenarios have ever been so amply justified, but the film is also constantly aware of the satirical possibilities offered by the 1970s music industry, exemplified by Gerrit Graham’s hilariously camp glam-rock star. Jessica Harper (Suspiria) appears in her first major role as the naïve but ambitious singer, on whom Winslow secretly dotes. Prodigiously inventive both musically and visually, this is one of De Palma’s most entertaining romps, not least because it was so clearly a labour of love.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the feature, available in the UK for the first time;
• Original uncompressed Stereo PCM / 4.0 DTS-HD Master Audio options;
• Isolated Music and Effects soundtrack;
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired;
• Paradise Regained – A 50 minute documentary on the making of the film featuring director Brian De Palma, producer Ed Pressman, the late star William Finley, star and composer Paul Williams, co-stars Jessica Harper and Gerrit Graham and more;
• Guillermo Del Toro interviews Paul Williams (72 mins, 2014);
The Swan Song Fiasco: A new video piece exploring the changes made to the film in post-production;
• Archive interview with costume designer Rosanna Norton;
• William Finley on the Phantom doll;
• Paradise Lost and Found: Alternate takes and bloopers from the cutting room floor;
• Original Trailers;
• Radio Spots;
• Gallery of rare stills including behind-the-scenes images by photographer Randy Black;
• Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth and an exploration of the film’s troubled marketing history by Ari Kahan, curator of SwanArchives.org, illustrated with original stills and promotional material
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Red Dress [Amaray release only]
• Limited Edition SteelBook™ packaging featuring original artwork [SteelBook only]

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Phantom of the Paradise

#8 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:32 pm

This might be the greatest thing that has ever happened.

matrixschmatrix

#9 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:• Guillermo Del Toro interviews Paul Williams (72 mins, 2014);
The only reason this alone isn't convincing me to buy a copy is that I already bought one. Good lord.

Aunt Peg

#10 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:06 am

I am so glad I never bought the French edition. I can't wait for this!

_shadow_

#11 Post by _shadow_ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:15 am

Given this and the eventual Scream Factory disc will stand as the definitive editions in their respective territories, it doesn't seem likely we'll ever see any of the Swan Song material restored into the film proper. It would be amazing if that were ever presented as an alternate branched option, since the footage substitutions are pretty rough in the theatrical version.

MichaelB

#12 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:37 am

The Swan Archives goes into considerably more detail about Arrow's release.

Yojimbo

#13 Post by Yojimbo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:03 pm

This from the Swan Archives page:
Durham's truly beautiful (and nonprofit) Carolina Theater will be screening Phantom and The Rocky Horror Picture Show starting at 7pm (we're not sure which one plays first) on January 31; both films for $10.
This is how I first saw both films - in London in 1976. I always preferred 'Phantom' - not least for the Paul Williams soundtrack - and am glad that it seems to be finally getting its due.

manicsounds

Phantom of the Paradise

#14 Post by manicsounds » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:37 am

FrauBlucher

#15 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:10 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Wow, the Arrow is drastically darker and that saturation level looks pretty unusual

Cold Bishop

#17 Post by Cold Bishop » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:00 am

However, the difference between second half of screenshots isn't as extreme as the first.

EddieLarkin

#18 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:08 am

Saturation is maybe a bit too strong but I have no problem with the darker look, and I much prefer the colour scheme on the Arrow.

_shadow_

#19 Post by _shadow_ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:05 pm

This is not good. The blacks are severely crushed, eliminating all delineation of shadow detail, but in the screengrab of the record-desk there's highlight detail lost as well. I'll cling to a hope that something went wrong with the Beaver captures and these aren't representative of the disc.

rwaits

#20 Post by rwaits » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 am

I don't know what to make of those caps. Is Beaver the only site to post screenshots from the Arrow so far?

EddieLarkin

#21 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am

More here.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:23 am

Did De Palma or perhaps Larry Pizer have any involvement with this release?

EddieLarkin

#23 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:46 am

I don't believe so. They may have had involvement with the creation of the new master, which comes from Fox. David Mackenzie confirmed the video on the disc matches the original master precisely.

_shadow_

#24 Post by _shadow_ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 am

It's surprising a new master was used for this release - I'd expected that this would be using the same master as on the Opening BD, given that it was quite satisfactory. I just can't see the Arrow as preferable, when the receptionist's hair is turned into a blob that's not differentiated from the Swan bird logo behind her.

HJackson

#25 Post by HJackson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:44 am

_shadow_ wrote:the receptionist's hair is turned into a blob that's not differentiated from the Swan bird logo behind her.
You're overstating it a wee bit, no?