The Complete Sartana

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

The Complete Sartana

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:26 am

Clint Eastwood s Man with No Name spawned imitations, variations and shameless rip-offs keen to emulate his success at the box office. Within months of A Fistful of Dollars release, Giuliano Gemma was playing Ringo, who was then followed by Franco Nero s Django, Tony Anthony s The Stranger and Gianni Garko s Sartana each providing their own twist on the Eastwood antihero, and each of them then subject to their own spate of unofficial sequels, spoofs and cash-ins.

Sartana tapped into more than just his Spaghetti Western predecessors a mysterious figure, he has a spectral quality, aided by his Count Dracula-alike cloak which also nods towards comic strip figure Mandrake the Magician, with whom he shares he shares a penchant for card tricks. He takes pride in his appearance unlike the Eastwood s dusty wanderer or Nero s mud-caked drifter. And there s a dose of James Bond too in his fondness for gadgetry and the droll sense of humour.

Unsurprisingly, this unique figure in the genre was treated to four official follow-ups. The Complete Sartana collects all five films, presented here in brand-new restorations: If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death, I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death, Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay, Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming, and Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin, in which George Hilton replaced Garko in the lead role.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Limited Edition Blu-ray collection of all five official Sartana films (2500 copies)
Brand-new 2K restoration of If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death from original film materials, carried out by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
Brand-new 2K restorations of I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death, Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay, Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming, and Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin from original camera negatives, carried out by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
Original Italian and English soundtracks on all five films
Uncompressed mono 1.0 PCM audio
Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
Audio commentaries
Fabbio Piccioni on If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death, a brand-new interview with the writer
Sal Borgese on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming, two brand-new interviews with the actor
Ernesto Gastaldi on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death and Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming, two brand-new interviews with the writer
Roberto Dell Acqua on Have a Good Funeral My Friend... Sartana Will Pay, a brand-new interview with the actor
Sartana Lives, an archive featurette on Light the Fuse... Sartana Is Coming featuring interviews with actor Gianni Garko and director Giuliano Carnimeo
Sartana Shoots First, a brand-new interview with George Hilton on Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin
Erika Blanc on Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin, a brand-new interview with the actor
Tony Askin on Sartana's Here... Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin, a brand-new interview with the actor
Brand-new video essay on the major actors and supporting players in the official Sartana films
Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films by Roberto Curti and an extensive Spaghetti Western timeline by Howard Hughes

Apperson

Re: The Complete Sartana

#2 Post by Apperson » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 am

Has anyone seen any of these films? it looks like a thorough package and the clip on Arrow's website seems fun but £50 is a lot on a pure unknown.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:05 am

They're streaming free on Amazon Prime if you want to test drive before purchasing

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm

I have not yet had a chance to see these, but it looks very interesting. Outside of the first film If You Meet Sartana...Pray For Your Death (directed by Gianfranco Parolini, who would go on to the Lee Van Cleef/Yul Brynner starring Sabata series), the other four were all directed by Giuliano Carnimeo, aka Anthony Ascott, who directed the giallo The Case of the Bloody Iris (NSFW) a few years after them. Though that giallo was an uncharacteristic departure and he went back to spaghetti westerns afterwards, though much more comic westerns than these Sartana ones appear to be.

Here are some trailers:
If You Meet Sartana...Pray For Your Death co-starring Klaus Kinski! (It is going to be slightly anticlimactic if Sartana turns out to just be an insurance company agent, as that trailer suggests!)
I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death (no trailer for this one, so I linked to the title sequence)
Have A Good Funeral, My Friend...Sartana Will Pay
Light The Fuse...Sartana Is Coming
Sartana's Here...Trade Your Pistol For A Coffin

Interestingly there appears to have been a couple of other films featuring the character of Sartana surrounding the films in this set, released around the same time: Sartana Does Not Forgive, Sartana In The Valley of Death (with William Berger taking over the title role after being in "...Pray For Your Death"), Django Against Sartana, and One Damned Day at Dawn...Django Meets Sartana!, but I guess that these are all outside of the core series.

Big Ben

#5 Post by Big Ben » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 pm

Looks like the kind of thing I could easily enjoy on a weekend. Spaghetti Westerns are easily digestible and a lot of fun.
colinr0380 wrote: Interestingly there appears to have been a couple of other films featuring the character of Sartana surrounding the films in this set, released around the same time: Sartana Does Not Forgive, Sartana In The Valley of Death (with William Berger taking over the title role after being in "...Pray For Your Death"), Django Against Sartana, and One Damned Day at Dawn...Django Meets Sartana!, but I guess that these are all outside of the core series.
No doubt many of these were cash ins on the names. As you're probably well aware there were at least forty plus films made with Django in the title but only the original and a totally bizarre sequel made many years later were ever really official. Not that I'm complaining though. I enjoy the cheese all the same.

Orlac

#6 Post by Orlac » Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 am

Are these going to get a standard release later?

Banasa

#7 Post by Banasa » Tue May 22, 2018 9:58 am

Some extra additions have been announced:
  • Audio commentary on If You Meet Sartana... Pray for Your Death by filmmaker Mike Siegel
  • Audio commentary on I Am Sartana, Your Angel of Death by Spaghetti Western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke
  • Gianfranco Parolini on If You Meet Sartana… Pray for Your Death, a brand-new interview with the writer-director
  • Galleries of original promotional images from the Mike Siegal Archive for all five films

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#8 Post by tenia » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Beaver
I suppose Ritrovata performed at least the 1st, 3rd and 5th movies' color gradings (though I'd guess they also performed the 2nd one's too).