A Pistol for Ringo & The Return of Ringo

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Banasa

A Pistol for Ringo & The Return of Ringo

#1 Post by Banasa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:57 pm

The Ringo films proved influential on the Italian western, sdue to their gripping set-pieces and unforgettable musical scoring by Ennio Morricone.

The original Ringo films introduced another iconic hero to the spaghetti western; a clean-cut sharp shooter who was markedly different to Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name.

In A Pistol For Ringo, the eponymous hero, played by Giuliano Gemma (Day of Anger, Tenebrae), infiltrates a ranch of Mexican bandits to save a beautiful hostage (Nieves Navarro, Death Walks on High Heels). In The Return Of Ringo, the gunslinger, now a veteran of war, disguises himself as a Mexican in order to take revenge on outlaws who have stolen his property and taken his wife.

Hugely successful upon their original release, thanks in part to the skilled direction of Duccio Tessari (The Bloodstained Butterfly, Death Occurred Last Night), the Ringo films proved influential on the Italian western, spawning numerous unofficial sequels, due to their gripping set-pieces and unforgettable musical scoring by Ennio Morricone. Arrow Video is proud to present both films in sumptuous new restorations that truly brings their stylish cinematography to life.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 2K restorations of both films from the original negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Italian and English soundtracks
• Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• Audio commentaries for both films by Spaghetti Western experts C. Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke
• They Called Him Ringo, an archival featurette with star Giuliano Gemma
• A Western Greek Tragedy, an archival featurette with Lorella de Luca and camera operator Sergio D’Offizi
• Original trailers
• Gallery of original promotional images
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gilles Vranckx

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Howard Hughes and a newly-translated interview with Duccio Tessari

Big Ben

Re: A Pistol for Ringo & The Return of Ringo

#2 Post by Big Ben » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Of the many "heroes" of the Spaghetti Westerns I'm not at all familiar with Ringo. Are these films any good? I only ask because while I do enjoy Spaghetti Westerns they have a tendency to vary wildly in quality.

Banasa

#3 Post by Banasa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Tastes for sub-genre of genres here tend to very, but The Return of Ringo is generally considered a better spaghetti western and would recommend it if you need more of this genre outside of Leone's films. I would happily rank it along with Day of Anger and Cemetery Without Crosses in terms of quality.

I'm going to guess Arrows spaghetti westerns are not their biggest selling item which which led them to doubling up on two films for one disc like they have done with the Japanese gangster films. The two films have largely the same cast and crew (with the cast returning in Return of Ringo, but playing different roles!)

Oh, and Giuliano Gemma does not look quite like the skeleton-faced man as he does on the cover.

Banasa

#4 Post by Banasa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Some new additions to the release have been added
* Revisiting Ringo, a new video interview with critic and Ringo fan Tony Rayns
* Gallery of original promotional images from the Mike Siegal Archive
Really really hope Tony Rayns wears a cowboy hat in his interview [-o<

L.A.

#5 Post by L.A. » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Ovader

#6 Post by Ovader » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Received this today and tested out a part of the blu-ray for A Pistol for Ringo and at the 17:33 minute mark you can clearly see in the background a highway with telephone poles and a car driving on it while in the foreground the main action of Mexican bandits are galloping on their horses *sigh*

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#7 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 am

Well, if even Nolan can't properly erase modern Dunkirk from its 1940's recreation, I doubt that was a priority in this kind of production.

Graham

#8 Post by Graham » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Ovader wrote:Received this today and tested out a part of the blu-ray for A Pistol for Ringo and at the 17:33 minute mark you can clearly see in the background a highway with telephone poles and a car driving on it while in the foreground the main action of Mexican bandits are galloping on their horses *sigh*
Yes, I spotted that too. Somewhat takes you out of the action.

zedz

#9 Post by zedz » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:51 am

I found the first Ringo a bland spaghetti western with a colourless hero and a curiously light tone despite its standard issue brutality.

The sequel (based on The Odyssey, doncha know) reunites all of the principal cast, and it’s kind of fun to see the film play with their prior personas, but this is still a rather ordinary film. Both films are scored by Morricone, and the music is the best part of either. The Return score is particularly strong.

yoloswegmaster

#10 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:25 pm

A German label called Wicked Vision will be releasing this on 4K UHD and it will be English-friendly.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#11 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:12 pm

They put out a great edition of The Most Dangerous Game several years before MoC got around to it