It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Scalpel
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm 

HE LOST THE FACE OF THE WOMAN HE LOVED… SO HE GAVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

US television staple Robert Lansing (Star Trek, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Twilight Zone) stars as a deranged surgeon in this twisty-turny psychological thriller from Blood Rage director John Grissmer.

In Scalpel, Lansing plays Dr. Phillip Reynolds, a man whose daughter Heather (Judith Chapman, As the World Turns, General Hospital) has run away from home a year prior following the suspicious death of her boyfriend. When he happens across a young woman one night, her face beaten beyond recognition, the unhinged Reynolds sees his an opportunity to put his trusty scalpel to use - hatching a plan to “reconstruct” her face in the image of his missing daughter, and so claim her sizeable inheritance.

Photographed by celebrated cinematographer Edward Lachman, who would go on to serve as DP on the likes of Erin Brockovich and The Virgin Suicides, Scalpel is an exemplary slice of Southern-fried gothic, filled finally rescued from VHS obscurity in this revelatory new Blu-ray edition from Arrow Video.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 2K restoration from original film elements
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original Uncompressed Mono Audio Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by film historian Richard Harland Smith
Brand new crew interviews
Original Theatrical Trailer
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by The Twins of Evil
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet with new writing on the film by Bill Ackerman

19 February

Post subject: Re: Scalpel
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:28 am 

A lot of Arrow’s releases are worthy of inclusion in the American Horror Project, which has yet to get a second volume. Stephen Thrower, author of the brilliant Nightmare USA study, which is the genesis of the project, had planned a second volume with a feature on John Grissmer.

Grissmer obviously directed Blood Rage, released earlier by Arrow, a very subversive family horror of genuine artistic merit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 am 

I believe Fran Simeoni recently told someone at a convention or the like that they had hoped for AHP 2 to have come sooner, but they've carefully curated each set to fit well together and there's one problem holding up the restoration of one of the planned Volume 2 titles which has thrown the entire schedule out of order. I think they've also indicated they're greenlit a third volume as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 pm 

I quite liked Blood Rage too, surprisingly, and that's why I have my eye on this.