It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Departures
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 am 

One of the most critically lauded Japanese films of recent years Departures was awarded the Best Foreign Language film Oscar in 2009, 10 major awards at the Japanese Academy and a host of other international prizes.

When professional cello player Daigo is left jobless after the orchestra he plays in disbands, he and his wife Mika move back from Tokyo to the family home in rural Yamagata left by his mother, who passed away two years previously. Here he stumbles upon a vaguely-worded advert in a local newspaper for a job “assisting departures.” He turns up at the interview and is hired on the spot by his new boss Sasaki, only to discover the post is for an assistant nôkanshi, or traditional mortician, performing the Buddhist rites of washing and preparing corpses for their final journey. Initially he keeps the nature of his employment hidden from Mika, but as his disgust for his work turns to pride, he soon finds himself coming to terms with his own life, and the past memories of the father who abandoned him as a child.

This life-affirming drama from director Takita Yôjirô (The Yin Yang Master, When the Last Sword is Drawn, Ashura) is beautifully complemented by a majestic score from Hisaishi Jô, known for his work with Kitano Takeshi and Studio Ghibli, and featuring an affecting central performance from Motoki Masahiro (Gonin, Shall We Dance?, The Bird People in China), Departures is a bittersweet portrait of one man’s reconnection with the landscapes and life forces of home.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• High Definition digital transfer
• Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo options
• Optional English subtitles
• The Making of Departures – a documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew and on set footage
• Encoffinment – the complete unedited footage of the cleansing ritual partially shown throughout the film
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork

November 6

Post subject: Re: Departures
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm 

Is this repacking, or a new transfer. The old from 2010 states on the cover DTS-HD 5.0, the New DTS-HD 5.1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:48 pm 

Pepsi wrote:
Is this repacking, or a new transfer. The old from 2010 states on the cover DTS-HD 5.0, the New DTS-HD 5.1.

I don't think this is the kind of film that would ever give your subwoofer much of a workout. My guess is that there's a LFE track in the specs but it's most likely empty.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pm 

Second former Arrow Films title to be re-released as an Academy title. I hope it wont be too much of a trend, there are enough titles to newly release on BD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:37 pm 

tenia wrote:
Second former Arrow Films title to be re-released as an Academy title. I hope it wont be too much of a trend, there are enough titles to newly release on BD.

Fourth, by my count. I Wish, Like Father Like Son, The Hunt and now this.

I hope the trend at least covers A Touch of Sin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:46 pm 

The Hunt was given an upgraded transfer, from interlaced to progressive I believe, so it was worthwhile.