The Last House on the Left (2009)

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

yoloswegmaster

The Last House on the Left (2009)

#1 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri May 26, 2023 9:20 am

The Last House on the Left is a vicious and efficient updating of the 1972 controversial graphic shocker of the same name, produced by its original director/producer pairing of Wes Craven and Sean Cunningham.

When athletic teen Mari Collingwood (Sara Paxton) opts to hang out with her friend Paige in town rather than spend an evening in with her parents vacationing at the family’s remote lake house, it marks the beginning of a night no one is going to forget. The two girls wind up in the company of escaped convict Krug (Garret Dillahunt) and his makeshift family of vile career criminals, who kidnap and brutally assault them before leaving them for dead. Fleeing from the scene of their violent crime during a storm, the thugs inadvertently seek refuge with Mari’s parents, anxious as to why their daughter hasn’t come home yet and primed to unleash the full forces of hell on anyone who would dare to touch so much as a hair on her head.

Energetically directed by Dennis Iliadis from a new script by Carl Ellsworth (Red Eye, Disturbia), this remake of horror cinema’s seminal tale of bloody revenge has been described by Stephen King as “the best horror movie of the new century”.

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• Two version of the film: the original Theatrical Version (4K Ultra HD Blu-ray) and the Unrated Version (Blu-ray)
• Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio for both films
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both films
• Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Zoë Rose Smith
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Eric Adrian Lee

DISC ONE – THEATRICAL VERSION (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)

• 4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of the original Theatrical Version of the film
• Exclusive new filmed introduction by director Dennis Iliadis
• Brand new audio commentary by David Flint and Adrian Smith
• A River of Blood, a new 31-minute interview with Sara Paxton
• The Notorious Krug, a new 27-minute interview with actor Garret Dillahunt
• Suspending Disbelief, a new 18-minute interview with screenwriter Carl Ellsworth
• Reviving the Legend, a new 33-minute interview with producer Jonathan Craven
• Look Inside Featurette, from the films original 2009 release
• Deleted scenes
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

DISC TWO – UNRATED VERSION (BLU-RAY)

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Unrated Version

cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: The Last House on the Left (2009)

#2 Post by cdnchris » Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am

The Garret Dillahunt interview ends up making this appealing, but this film is otherwise not something I would have expected ANY label to bother with.

black&huge

#3 Post by black&huge » Fri May 26, 2023 12:34 pm

Arrow is turning into UK's Shout

CSM126

#4 Post by CSM126 » Fri May 26, 2023 1:39 pm

black&huge wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:34 pm
Arrow is turning into UK's Shout
That’s about what I was thinking, but I suppose there’s a market for garbage. Or remakes of garbage as it were. As UK labels go I’m just waiting for Indicator to get past their bundle of euro trash and get back to interesting stuff. Otherwise it’s just Second Run and BFI doing the good stuff anymore and the more the better for the viewers.

As regards this film… hooray for the fans I guess, but you’ll swallow anything if any iteration of Last House scratches your itch.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#5 Post by Rayon Vert » Fri May 26, 2023 1:55 pm

Actually I remember this as an effective, taut thriller and both not nearly as vile as, and more enjoyable than, the original.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Sounds like the rest of us wish this was the LAST title LEFT on the shelf amirite guys

Guys?

SeizureMilk

#7 Post by SeizureMilk » Fri May 26, 2023 6:16 pm

I thought that was slightly funny.

Orlac

#8 Post by Orlac » Fri May 26, 2023 7:31 pm

CSM126 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:39 pm

As regards this film… hooray for the fans I guess, but you’ll swallow anything if any iteration of Last House scratches your itch.
Charming.