The Guyver

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

The Guyver

#1 Post by Ribs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:16 am

PART HUMAN. PART ALIEN. PURE SUPERPOWER.

Mark Hamill (Star Wars) and the team behind horror classic Re-animator join forces for this electrifying live-action adaptation of Yoshiki Takaya s celebrated manga series!

Having been smuggled out of the mysterious Chronos Corporation by one of its researchers, a bio-weapon known as the Guyver unit which transforms its holder into a lethal super-being ends up in the hands of Sean, a young martial arts student. Sean soon finds himself in the sights of the Chronos Corporation and its mutant henchmen, who ll stop at nothing to retrieve the weapon.

Produced by Brian Yuzna (Society, Bride of Re-animator) and co-directed by special-effects masters Screaming Mad George and Steve Wang, The Guyver is an FX-laden extravaganza featuring a plethora of familiar genre faces such as Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes) and David Gale (Re-animator).

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new digital transfer of the Director s Cut
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
Original uncompressed audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new interview with producer Brian Yuzna
Trailer
Image Gallery
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nick Percival
Limited edition O-card
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully-illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Guyver

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:23 am

I don't know, that burned DVD-R Warner Archives just put out was pretty definitive. I recall being horribly scarred by this film as a kid, as there is a disturbing transformation scene that really did a number on me. However, based on the Everything Is Terrible compilation of Jimmie Walker's portions of the film (helpfully titled "the History of Black Representation in American Cinema"), this one doesn't appear to have aged well

Noiradelic

#3 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:32 pm

In the 90s, I was an assistant teacher in a special ed program and worked closely with this one physically handicapped autistic boy, who, while not quite reaching the level of a savant, had an impressive memory considering his level of disability. He once saw this movie on TV and periodically chirped "The Guyver" in non-sequitur fashion over the course of years. Based on the descriptions, it must've made a strong impression. For all I know he could be uttering it at odd intervals to this day.

colinr0380

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:11 am

I've never seen the live action film version but have fond memories of the anime! Its interesting to see that it got quite a quick US adaptation, though it sounds like it anticipated Power Rangers but was still a bit too adult in its approach!

Mr Sausage

#5 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:27 am

This movie was always in the video store and haunting the movie listings in the tv guide when I was a kid. I never did watch it, but something about the title and video box stuck with me enough that I've always remembered it. I feel like I ought to've watched it, but can't account for why I didn't--maybe I couldn't quite figure out what it was. Maybe it's time to pt that old curiosity to rest.

dwk

#6 Post by dwk » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:44 am

Unearthed Films is supposedly releasing the R-rated cut in the US later this year. I guess this means New Line/WB's rights have expired.