It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Images
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am 

Postcard inside my copy of The Apartment confirms an upcoming Arrow Academy release of Robert Altman's IMAGES (1972)! :D

Post subject: Re: Forthcoming: Images
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am 

Ooh, I don’t think there’s been postcards for Academy titles before!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am 

Good to learn at the same time that the Apartment copies are already available (somewhere).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 am 

There was talk of at least one more Altman from Arrow but I incorrectly assumed it'd be something like Thieves Like Us, Quintet, or the already-restored A Wedding. Had some doubts they could get Images, but happy to be proven wrong. Never seen it, but it should be a good follow-up to 3 Women and MoC's That Cold Day in the Park.

Ribs wrote:
Ooh, I don’t think there’s been postcards for Academy titles before!

Nope, a first as far as I'm aware. The card was for The Love of a Woman, if that's of any interest to you! :)

tenia wrote:
Good to learn at the same time that the Apartment copies are already available (somewhere).

I pre-ordered from the old Arrow store if that's any help, but had no idea it was on its way (no dispatch email). It's a hefty release!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 am 

rapta wrote:
There was talk of at least one more Altman from Arrow but I incorrectly assumed it'd be something like Thieves Like Us, Quintet, or the already-restored A Wedding.

Since there only is this one yet-to-be-announced title on the card, I suppose other Altman releases might not be too far away in time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am 

Wonderful news. I saw an excellent Q&A with editor Graeme Clifford when UCLA screened this, and I hope they get him and Rene Auberjonois on the disc. The score by Yamashta Stomu/John Williams is stunning-maybe we can get something on its creation as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm 

Announced for March 19/20.
Quote:
The early seventies were a period of remarkable activity for Robert Altman, producing masterpiece after masterpiece. At the time he came to make Images, MASH and McCabe & Mrs. Miller were behind him, with The Long Goodbye, California Split and Nashville still to come.

Originally conceived in the mid-sixties, Images concerns a pregnant children’s author (Susannah York, who won the Best Actress award at the Cannes Film Festival) whose husband (Rene Auberjonois) may or may not be having an affair. While holidaying in Ireland, her mental state becomes increasingly unstable resulting in paranoia, hallucinations and visions of a doppelgänger.

Scored by an Oscar-nominated John Williams, with “sounds” by Stomu Yamash'ta (The Man Who Fell to Earth), Images also boasts the remarkable cinematography of Vilmos Zsigmond (Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original English mono audio (uncompressed LPCM) soundtracks
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Audio commentary by Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger
• Scene-select commentary by writer-director Robert Altman
• Interview with Robert Altman
• Brand new interview with actor Cathryn Harrison
• An appreciation by musician and author Stephen Thrower
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by the Twins of Evil

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Carmen Gray and an extract from Altman on Altman"

Post subject: Re: Images
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 pm 

Academy are outperforming the Video line for the 2018 output again, at least on the evidence of the line up revealed so far. I go hot and cold on Altman but I loved 3 Women and Images sounds up my street.

Post subject: Re: Images
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:30 pm 

Images makes a great companion piece to 3 Women. Absolutely bonkers mind bender of a movie, with a creepy score by John Williams. An under appreciated little Altman gem ... I'm so happy to see this one get the royal treatment.