Nekromantik / Nekromantik 2

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

antnield

Re: Nekromantik

#26 Post by antnield » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Gaddis

#27 Post by Gaddis » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:38 am

That looks amazing. Sold.

manicsounds

#28 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:03 am

blu-ray.com review, very low score for the film, high marks on the extras.

EddieLarkin

#29 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:40 am

So it looks like the filmmakers really went to town on the "Restored" version, trying to make it less film like. When I saw the Cult Epics screen caps I figured it looked so weak because of its 8mm nature, even though that didn't really make sense to me. But looking at the grain structure on the "Grindhouse" version, it demonstrates that the "Restored" version really doesn't look like it should:

Grindhouse
Restored

I wonder if the inclusion of a more film like version was at the suggestion of Cult Epics/Arrow, or the filmmakers?

Thornycroft

#30 Post by Thornycroft » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:19 am

I've read Buttgereit quoted somewhere as saying that he prefers the 'Grindhouse' 35mm blow-up.

effigy105

#31 Post by effigy105 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Anyone know why this has been showing as 'unavailable' on Amazon.co.uk for the last few days? I pre-ordered my copy a while back and have an estimated delivery date but I'm wondering if it's sold out already (which would suggest this film really does hold some cult clout).

David M.

#32 Post by David M. » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:48 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:So it looks like the filmmakers really went to town on the "Restored" version, trying to make it less film like. When I saw the Cult Epics screen caps I figured it looked so weak because of its 8mm nature, even though that didn't really make sense to me. But looking at the grain structure on the "Grindhouse" version, it demonstrates that the "Restored" version really doesn't look like it should:

Grindhouse
Restored

I wonder if the inclusion of a more film like version was at the suggestion of Cult Epics/Arrow, or the filmmakers?
Keep in mind that the "grindhouse" version is a 35mm blowup and is a few generations down. So it'll have a lot of built-up 35mm grain which adds to the perceived detail. The lesser dynamic range (crushed shadows and highlights) will also create the perception of sharpness.

I like how it looks too, but it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with the 8mm transfer.

EddieLarkin

#33 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm with you that there is superior detail and far better dynamic range on the restored version, but the grain doesn't look right to me. The grain on the Grindhouse version, despite being a print is very fine, so shouldn't grain from the OCN be even finer? Which I understand means it's going to be less noticeable, but the grain on the Restored version doesn't look finer, it just looks clumpy and smeared. That said, I have no previous experience with 8mm film on Blu-ray so perhaps my expectations are skewed. But if you compare say, the new TCM release against the the older one, where we have 16mm OCN vs. a later generation element (possibly a blow up?), the finest grain is to be found on the OCN transfer.

Basically, if we just consider grain structure and nothing else, I would have expected the sort of grain we see on the Grindhouse version to actually be on the Restored version, and vice versa, if that make sense.

Adam X

#34 Post by Adam X » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:23 am

I don't have the eyes (or bandwidth) to nitpick over screencaps, but I'm not sure you can really compare the grain structure of the two at all given that a 35mm blow-up is a completely different element to the 8mm neg. The image has been enlarged 4x, and then transferred to an entirely different film stock.

Image quality aside, Arrow have put together a really nice package here. Personal feelings about how the discs are housed aside, you know it's a well-done job when the only problem I had was I wished the 5 "polaroids" were actual polaroids, simply to make them more aesthetically pleasing. Guess I could make my own. I really like the new artwork, and it's clear there's been a lot of attention to detail with this release. And I still haven't even put the disc in yet.
Fingers crossed for Schramm to get the same treatment sometime in the future.

Dr Amicus

#35 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:02 am

And it's now Sold out - seemingly everywhere (at least at a reasonable price).

I missed it - I had intended to get it, but it came out during a really expensive Christmas for me and so got put on the backburner. Oh well...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Nekromantik

#36 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 11:54 am

Non-limited edition announced.