The Long Good Friday

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Rupert Pupkin

Re: The Long Good Friday

#26 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 am

thanks a lot for the dvdcompare link.

it seems that they have tested the box set rather than the Steelbook edition (although both Blu-Ray disks are the same).
Is there a review of "Mona Lisa" blu-ray available at dvdcompare too ?? (I've searched but didn't find it)

MichaelB

#27 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 04, 2015 3:25 am

I don't think anyone has reviewed Mona Lisa yet.

MichaelB

#28 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 am

CineOutsider:
I'd seen The Long Good Friday many times before this new Blu-ray arrived on my doormat and tended to think of the film as looking gritty and a little dour, but here it positively sparkles. The picture looks brighter than I've ever seen it – and by that I mean it looks as if a layer of crud has been scraped from its surface and the resulting celluloid given a polish – and the balance of the contrast is when the lighting conditions are favourable (as they often are) is close to sublime. The colours are also richer and deeper than they ever were on DVD, not over-saturated but clean and vibrant and with naturalistic skin tones and crisp black levels, and the level of detail far outstrips its standard definition predecessors. Honestly, it almost feels like a different film.

Jacob Marley

#29 Post by Jacob Marley » Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 am

The review says that, while they had the extras from the box set, they didn't have a copy of Mona Lisa.

Ashirg

#30 Post by Ashirg » Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 pm

MichaelB

#31 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:47 am

The Raygun profiles the restoration (out in British cinemas this week), with comments from James White and some interloper.

Dr Amicus

#32 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Can I just join in the praise - especially for the limited edition set. I watched Mona Lisa last night - for the first time in about 25 years - and it seemed to me to be an exceptional transfer. I had a quick peek at Long Good Friday (and was really torn over which to watch - but I did see that at the cinema only(!) 12 or so years ago) and that was possibly even better.

I've just started on the book, another fine Arrow Hardback, and it's another solid reason to get the limited edition set - a special mention to MichaelB's lovely piece on Bob Hoskins.

tojoed

#33 Post by tojoed » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:10 am

I love Monkman's score too. At the moment I only have the 3 disc Anchor Bay DVD, which has a CD with just the score on it.
I'll definitely be getting this Arrow Blu.