The Mario Bava Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

fatboyslim142

The Mario Bava Collection

#1 Post by fatboyslim142 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:01 pm

As Arrow are releasing every Mario Bava film, I was wondering if that includes the documentaries listed on IMDB?
Last edited by fatboyslim142 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koukol

Re: Mario Bava Films

#2 Post by Koukol » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Not sure but Kino has WHIP AND THE BODY coming on BD.

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:19 am

We can safely assume that "Whip and the Body" would be next for Arrow as well. I'm still eagerly awaiting for an Arrow release of "Planet Of The Vampires" which I believe never had a UK DVD release.

When they decide to release a Bava Western film like "Roy Colt and Winchester Jack", they might not sell well individually, but if they put them together in a Bava Western set, I think it would be a good idea.

Stefan Andersson

#4 Post by Stefan Andersson » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:47 am

Some notes on Bava:

Planet of the Vampires - hopefully it will be the original Italian cut

Knives of the Avenger - this film has had several DVD releases; one of which has an extra shot at the end, restored by Tim Lucas I think

the Italian cut of one of the Dr Goldfoot films might be a good extra, along with some of Bava´s TV work (detailed in a recent Sight & Sound article), if available

Telstar

#5 Post by Telstar » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm eagerly awaiting Arrow's Whip and the Body and Planet of the Vampires, but the ones I'm even more excited about are Kill Baby Kill, Evil Eye and Danger Diabolik.

Cash Flagg

#6 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:Planet of the Vampires - hopefully it will be the original Italian cut
Assumedly Arrow will also include the English dub and the AIP version, as they did with Black Sabbath.

chatterjees

Re: The Mario Bava Collection

#8 Post by chatterjees » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:45 pm

That's a very good decision. We should definitely wait for the better element. So, what will happen to our pre-order?

Koukol

#9 Post by Koukol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Well I just cancelled my order for the Kino BD of WHIP AND THE BODY after seeing these screen-grabs from DVDBeaver.

I hope Arrow will do better than this but for now I'll stick with my German EMS DVD.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdrevie ... e_body.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anthony Thorne

#10 Post by Anthony Thorne » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:47 pm

I have my fingers crossed that Arrow can get their hands on superior RABID DOGS source material, but if they can't I hope the obstacle doesn't further sequentially delay titles like FIVE DOLLS and HATCHET for which decent materials (judging from the Kino discs) seem to already be at hand. Frustrating news either way!

feihong

#11 Post by feihong » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Nobody's mentioned Kill Baby, Kill!, yet in this discussion. I thought the original elements were lost for good on that one? How does Arrow plan to swing a blu-ray?

manicsounds

#12 Post by manicsounds » Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 am

I just watched the Arrow BD of "Black Sabbath" the other day, the AIP cut. I had the Anchor Bay DVD so I'd seen the Italian cut before. Both the DVD and the Arrow BD looked great, with Bava's great color palette. I sampled the Italian cut on Blu-ray, and they looked even better than the AIP cut.

Surprising was the DVDBeaver comparison to the Kino blu-ray. Similar to their release of "The Whip And The Body", colors are dark and muted, not vibrant like the Arrow release. The Arrow booklet has info about the color grading supervision, so should we assume the colors were Bava's post production process and not part of the original negatives?

"Lisa And The Devil" seems to be the only color Bava film by Kino and Arrow that looks the same.

merzbau

#13 Post by merzbau » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:23 am

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere (I was unable to turn up a definitive answer myself), but are we sure that Arrow has the rights to the complete Bava and not just the titles being released by Kino in the United States? For example, Blood and Black Lace, which is on disc through VCI in the States, or Planet of the Vampires, which is MGM?

Even if Arrow are only releasing the Kino titles, a confirmation of this would be wonderful, since from all accounts they're doing a much better job, not only with the all-important color correction (in the color films) but the inclusion of alternate cuts, like the AIP Black Sunday with its Les Baxter soundtrack, or making the effort to source Rabid Dogs in as complete a form as possible instead of just issuing Lamberto's cut of Kidnapped and calling it done.

And a related question: does anyone know the exact legal issues that are holding back the AIP cut of The Girl Who Knew Too Much, The Evil Eye? I've just listened to Tim Lucas's commentary on TGWKTM on the Anchor Bay release, and the difference in tone he describes is fascinating. It would be a real coup for Arrow if they were able to include both, as Kino has done for, for example, Lisa and the Devil and House of Exorcism.

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:37 am

Arrow can't clear the rights to everything (The Whip and the Body is definitely currently off limits in the UK, and I think Hatchet for the Honeymoon is also tied up elsewhere) but they don't plan to restrict themselves to the Kino Lorber titles either.

hamipai00

#15 Post by hamipai00 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:56 am

The Whip And The Body is being released on region B bluray by Odeon Entertainment on 3rd November, although there's nothing on their own website about it so far:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Whip-And-Bo ... e+body+blu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disappointing really because it'll probably end up being a bit of a bare bones release.

Orlac

#16 Post by Orlac » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Does Arrow have 5 Dolls for an August Moon?