Battle Royale

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

colinr0380

Battle Royale

#1 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 pm

ONE DEAD. 41 TO GO.

Battle Royale is back. It’s time to return to the island and kill your friends, because the cult Japanese movie that defines twisted action and sickening violence is ready to shock you all over again.

In a world where teenagers have no respect and adults are losing control there can be only one solution: Battle Royale! Now, see what happens when you let a high school class loose on an island, arm them and then give them a simple choice... Kill your friends or have them kill you; with poison, cross-bows, machetes and dynamite. ‘Beat’ Takeshi Kitano (Violent Cop, Zatoichi) is a teacher pushed to the edge by his unruly charges. Kidnapped and gassed, his class wake up with exploding metal rings around their necks. If they rebel, they could lose their heads. Now they have three days and only one is permitted to survive this grisly battle to the death.

Directed by the master of 70s Yakuza thrillers Kinji Fukasaku and featuring Kill Bill star Chiaki Kuriyama, Battle Royale is the movie that helped to define extreme Asian cinema in the 21st Century.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

High Definition Digital transfer of the Director's Cut 'Special Edition'
Shooting the Special Edition
Takeshi Kitano Interview
The Correct Way to Make Battle Royale (Birthday Version)
Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation
Special Edition Trailer
TV Spot: Tarantino Version
Reversible sleeve featuring original artwork

TonyleStephanois

Re: Arrow Films

#2 Post by TonyleStephanois » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 am

Finch wrote:Do Arrow have the rights though?
No.
colinr0380 wrote:Blu-ray of Battle Royale coming in October. I wonder if this will just be the theatrical version or will also include the director's cut.

I prefer the original as the constant flashbacks to the basketball match introducing each character was clunky and hurt the pacing, but would kind of like both to be available for posterity!
Both will be included, Colin. Lots planned, hope to clarify in a few weeks.

manicsounds

#3 Post by manicsounds » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm

That's just awesome news that both cuts are being included.

TonyleStephanois

#4 Post by TonyleStephanois » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:05 am

We just announced the specs for Battle Royale:

3 DISC LIMITED EDITION SET FEATURES:
- BRAND NEW RESTORED TRANSFER IN GLORIOUS HIGH DEFINITION 1080P OF BOTH FILMS
- BRAND NEW SUBTITLE TRANSLATION ON BOTH FEATURES
- LIMITED EDITION PACKAGING NUMBERED #/5000 WITH CERTIFICATE
- LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL FEATURES
DISC 1 – THEATRICAL CUT: SPECIAL FEATURES
- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
- THE MAKING OF BATTLE ROYALE: THE EXPERIENCE OF 42 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- CONDUCTING BATTLE ROYALE WITH THE WARSAW NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
DISC 2 – SPECIAL EDITION [DIRECTOR’S CUT]: SPECIAL FEATURES
- SPECIAL EDITION TRAILER
- TV SPOT: TARANTINO VERSION
- SHOOTING THE SPECIAL EDITION
- TAKESHI KITANO INTERVIEW
- THE CORRECT WAY TO MAKE BATTLE ROYALE [BIRTHDAY VERION]
- TOKYO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL PRESENTATION
DISC 3 – SPECIAL FEATURES
- OPENING DAY AT MARU NO UCHI TOEI MOVIE THEATRE
- THE SLAUGHTER OF 42 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- PREMIERE PRESS CONFERENCE
- THE CORRECT WAY TO FIGHT IN BATTLE ROYALE
- ROYALE REHEARSALS
- MASAMICHI AMANO CONDUCTS BATTLE ROYALE
- SPECIAL EFFECTS COMPARISON
- BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE
- FILMING ON SET
- TV SPOTS, PROMOS AND COMMERCIALS
- KINJI FUKASAKU TRAILER REEL
32 PAGE COMIC
36 PAGE BOOKLET INCLUDING:
- ‘A BATTLE WITHOUT AN END’ BY TOM MES, AUTHOR OF ‘THE MIDNIGHT EYE GUIDE TO NEW JAPANESE FILM’
- PRINTED INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR KINJI FUKASAKU
- ‘TODAY’S LESSON IS... YOU KILL EACH OTHER’ BY JAY MCROY, AUTHOR OF ‘JAPANESE HORROR CINEMA’ [LE EXCLUSIVE]
- EXTRACT FROM KOUSHUN TAKAMI’S ORIGINAL NOVEL [LE EXCLUSIVE]
- ORIGINAL PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL INCLUDING DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT, CAST AND CREW BIOGS [LE EXCLUSIVE]
16 PAGE BOOKLET INCLUDING:
- CONCEPT ARTWORK AND DRAWINGS FOR THE LIMITED EDITION SET [LE EXCLUSIVE]
5X7” POSTCARDS OF STILLS FROM THE FILM [LE EXCLUSIVE]
FOLD-OUT REVERSIBLE POSTER OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK

EDIT: Should also mention that Blu-ray and DVD will be region free.

Peacock

#5 Post by Peacock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Seeing as this one prob won't be coming out stateside for a long time, I hope this release isn't marred by any DNR, otherwise it'll looks to be a great release...

Jean-Luc Garbo

#6 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:25 pm

It's 13.99 on Amazon UK - very tempting.

Finch

#7 Post by Finch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 pm

first review of the Battle Royale Blu
Both versions of the feature are included on separate discs and each is presented at 1.78:1 (1080/24p AVC), opened up slightly from the original 1.85:1 theatrical ratio. Both transfers are fairly similar in the quality stakes, and that quality is best described as variable largely due to the fact that they appear to have been taken from an old HD master. I'd prefer to get the negative stuff out of the way first, so let's start with some of the problems. Both versions open with a considerable amount of telecine wobble, but thankfully this becomes less obvious as the film progresses. There's also a lot of dirt on both versions (although more so the SE), with black and white flecks and other film artefacts (such as lines) popping up a little too frequently for my liking. I also spotted some blocking artefacts at various intervals, mainly in the darker areas of the screen. The most contentious issue is most likely that of DNR, and to be honest I had a little trouble accurately establishing whether or not the transfers suffer in this regard. Because I never saw the film theatrically it's hard to say whether Battle Royale should feature heavy or fine grain, and while some grain is present it's much lighter than I was expecting. It’s possible that the master was filtered, but it’s just as likely that the film never looked particularly grainy to begin with. Either way, there’s not much Arrow could do about it. Edges also look a little odd, almost like they have a ghost outline, but again this appears to be an issue with the original materials as the same artefact is visible on the DVDs (it’s just harder to discern because of the lower resolution).

With all of that said there are some definite positives to take away from this release. For one thing, the level of detail offered by both versions is much better than any DVD release of the film. Another major bonus is the absence of the hideous interlacing artefacts that marred the DVD releases, rendering them almost unwatchable at times. The aforementioned issues excepted, the Blu-ray transfers are also generally much better than any of the DVDs when it comes to compression. Colour rendition is more natural than the DVDs, staying closer to the cooler, gloomier Japanese versions of the film than the warmer European releases (e.g. the French and German DVDs). There are slight variations between the two colour-wise, but nothing drastic. While some of the shortcomings are lamentable, I still feel that this release offers an appreciable upgrade over the standard-definition versions of the film is the visual department. Given that the sort of money spent on high-profile restorations of American films simply isn’t available for something like Battle Royale I’m inclined to forgive many of the deficiencies, which are less obvious in motion than these captures suggest. If you can do the same you should be fairly happy with what’s on offer, even if you know in your heart that better results could probably be achieved with access to the original film materials, a truck load of money and a lot of TLC. Even so, I’m actually quite pleased with the visuals all things considered.

manicsounds

#8 Post by manicsounds » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:19 am

DVDbeaver compares the new BD and new DVD with the older ones.
Not a huge upgrade in picture quality like some other titles, but with all the extras, both cuts, newly made better subtitles, and low price, makes it the obvious choice to upgrade.

manicsounds

#9 Post by manicsounds » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm

According to Arrow, their second pressing of "Battle Royale" will be region B locked.

But why does it say "a film by KJ"?

Shouldn't it be KF ?

RossyG

#10 Post by RossyG » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:03 am

When's the second pressing released?

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:11 am

Feb 28th for the second press standard edition

manicsounds

#12 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Image Image

It looks like the 'mistake' was corrected

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Man, the limited edition set is amazing. It's even worth some of the aftermarket prices it's been going for, just buy a copy before it's too late! Best release of 2010, period.

chatterjees

Re: Battle Royale

#15 Post by chatterjees » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I recently purchased the 3-discs Battle Royale BD (the regular one, not the box set). Surprisingly, there is no booklet inside. It was sealed. I bought it new from a seller on eBay. Can somebody confirm that this is fine? I have several Arrow BDs, but this is the only one without a booklet.

Bürgermeister

#16 Post by Bürgermeister » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:44 pm

It's supposed to have a booklet.
From Arrow's website.
Collector’s booklet by Tom Mes, author of ‘The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film’ illustrated with stills, artwork and a printed interview with director Kinji Fukasaku

chatterjees

#17 Post by chatterjees » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Bürgermeister wrote:It's supposed to have a booklet.
From Arrow's website.
Collector’s booklet by Tom Mes, author of ‘The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film’ illustrated with stills, artwork and a printed interview with director Kinji Fukasaku
Thanks, I just saw that too. Now, I have to deal with it. I didn't not buy it from Arrow directly, I wonder if they can send me a replacement booklet. I am sending a email now.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#18 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I'd just say you purchased a new copy online. If it was sealed, it shouldn't really matter where it came from.

chatterjees

#19 Post by chatterjees » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Yeah, it was new and sealed. I emailed Nicole. I don't think I will get an answer before Monday. Hopefully, they can send me a booklet.

chatterjees

#20 Post by chatterjees » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 am

I also contacted the seller on eBay. I just got a reply from him, and he said "Hi, The website you provided was not my website. I did not mention anything about a booklet in the description of the item. I was not aware of a booklet being included. Does it mention a booklet being included on the back of the movie?". ](*,)

manicsounds

#21 Post by manicsounds » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:27 pm

And this was not a bootleg copy?

chatterjees

#22 Post by chatterjees » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:43 pm

No, its not. I am actually returning the item to the eBay seller for a full refund. Arrow's reply to my email was ridiculous. They want me to fill out a form, then ship the item to them. Once they receive it, they will dispatch a copy. And they will do it, when I include the original delivery note, if I have one.
Thank you Arrow, I don't have that much time to waste. Why the heck I didn't buy it from amazon? ](*,)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#23 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:27 am

If the disc was sealed it really isn't on the poor seller who is just giving you what he advertised: a sealed copy of your movie. You're returning him something now doubly depreciated in value (it's no longer new/sealed, and it's missing a part) by no fault of his

chatterjees

#24 Post by chatterjees » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am

I understand that. What other option I have? I tried the other option asking Arrow for a booklet. Unfortunately, their way of dealing with this kind of simple issue is really complicated. Why can't they just send me a booklet without going through all these complications? I paid 25 bucks and as a buyer, I would expect a complete product.

exidor

#25 Post by exidor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:13 am

You didn't pay 25 bucks to Arrow but you're asking them to send you something for free that costs them money to produce. That may be why they make things more complicated than you'd like.