Videodrome

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Videodrome

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 01, 2015 11:54 am

Release Date: 10th August 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: James Woods, Deborah Harry, Sonja Smits
Directed by: David Cronenberg

Synopsis: Combining the bio-horror elements of his earlier films whilst anticipating the technological themes of his later work, Videodrome exemplifies Cronenberg’s extraordinary talent for making both visceral and cerebral cinema.

Max Renn (James Woods) is looking for fresh new content for his TV channel when he happens across some illegal S&M-style broadcasts called ‘Videodrome’. Embroiling his girlfriend Nicki (Debbie Harry) in his search for the source, his journey begins to blur the lines between reality and fantasy as he works his way through sadomasochistic games, shady organisations and body transformations stunningly realised by the Oscar-winning makeup effects artist Rick Baker.

Hailed by his contemporaries John Carpenter (“he’s better than all of us combined”) and Martin Scorsese (“no one makes films like he does”) as a genius, Videodrome, was Cronenberg’s most mature work to date and still stands as one of his greatest.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
Original uncompressed mono audio tracks for all films
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all films
Limited Edition packaging, fully illustrated by Gilles Vranckx
Limited Edition Exclusive Extras

VIDEODROME – BLU-RAY DISC 1 AND DVD DISC 2:
Restored high-definition digital transfer of the unrated version, approved by director David Cronenberg and cinematographer Mark Irwin
Audio commentary by Tim Lucas, the on-set correspondent for Cinefantastique Magazine and author of Videodrome: Studies in the Horror Film
David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme – A documentary programme featuring interviews with Cronenberg, George A. Romero and Alex Cox on Cronenberg’s cinema, censorship and the horror genre
Forging the New Flesh – A documentary programme by filmmaker Michael Lennick on Videodrome’s video and prosthetic make up effects
Videoblivion: A brand new interview with cinematographer Mark Irwin
A brand new interview with producer Pierre David
AKA Jack Martin – Dennis Etchison, author of novelizations of Videodrome, Halloween, Halloween II and III and The Fog, discusses Videodrome and his observations of Cronenberg’s script
The complete uncensored Samurai Dreams footage with additional Videodrome broadcasts with optional commentary by Michael Lennick
Helmet Test and Betamax
Camera (2000) Cronenberg’s short film starring Videodrome’s Les Carlson
Fear on Film: A round table discussion from 1982 with Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Landis and Mick Garris
Promotional featurette with behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Cronenberg, James Woods, Deborah Harry and Rick Baker
Original theatrical trailers

DAVID CRONENBERG’S EARLY WORKS: BLU-RAY DISC 3 AND DVD DISC 4 [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]:
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of four Cronenberg films
Transfer (1966) & From the Drain (1967), Cronenberg’s previously unavailable short films newly restored by the Toronto International Film Festival [7 & 12 mins]
Stereo (1969) & Crimes of the Future (1970): Cronenberg’s early amateur feature films, shot in and around his university campus, prefigure his later work’s concerns with strange institutions (much like Videodrome’s Spectacular Optical) as well as male/female separation (Dead Ringers) and ESP (Scanners). Newly restored from original lab elements [65 & 70 mins]
Transfer the Future – Author and critic Kim Newman discusses Cronenberg’s early works

COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
An illustrated 100-page hardback book featuring new writing including Justin Humphreys on Videodrome in a modern context, Brad Stevens on the alternate versions, Caelum Vatnsdal on Cronenberg’s early works, extracts from Cronenberg on Cronenberg featuring Cronenberg’s reminiscences of getting started in filmmaking and shooting all the films in this collection, plus more, illustrated with original archive stills

PfR73

Re: Videodrome

#2 Post by PfR73 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Transfer & From The Drain, nice! Those haven't ever been released on DVD or Blu-Ray before, right?

cinemartin

#3 Post by cinemartin » Fri May 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Holy cow! That's a great package - just when I decided against the double dip...

ex-cowboy

#4 Post by ex-cowboy » Fri May 01, 2015 12:45 pm

This looks absolutely superb. Here's hoping there's a Crash Blu from Arrow at some point as well.

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Fri May 01, 2015 4:27 pm

The 100 page booklet is what decided it for me. And off the Criterion BD went to Amazon Marketplace.

colinr0380

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:58 pm

A wonderful package of extras for the film! The "David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme" extra was a 20 minute piece screened by the BBC in their 1997 "Forbidden" season of films just before a double bill of Videodrome and the UK television premiere of Shivers. If anyone wants to check out that piece before picking up the set, it is currently up on YouTube.

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 am

Now here's some heroic dedication for you - Tim Lucas, having recently come into possession of the late Michael Lennick's original call sheets for Videodrome, has re-recorded his commentary in order to add facts and figures and location info of which he was previously unaware.

This was entirely spontaneous on his part - Arrow was already perfectly happy with his first-draft commentary. But I imagine we're all grateful to him for going way above and beyond the call of duty.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#8 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:34 am

MichaelB wrote:Now here's some heroic dedication for you - Tim Lucas, having recently come into possession of the late Michael Lennick's original call sheets for Videodrome, has re-recorded his commentary in order to add facts and figures and location info of which he was previously unaware.
At last we might finally discover who did Craft Services. Hope Tim spills the beans!

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:10 pm

VIDEODROME UPDATES: FINAL SPECS AND PRE-ORDER SALES

Specs have been finalised for Videodrome, including the DELETED SCENES from the television version! Full details below. Also, we've sold more than 50% of this limited edition release already and anticipate that we'll be fully sold out before release date, so if you haven't pre-ordered yet then click the pic...

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- High Definition digital transfers of the uncut version of Videodrome and four of Cronenberg’s early works
- Original uncompressed mono audio tracks for all films
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all films
- Limited Edition packaging, fully illustrated by Gilles Vranckx
- Limited Edition exclusive extras

VIDEODROME – BLU-RAY DISC 1 AND DVD DISC 2
- Restored High Definition digital transfer of the unrated version, approved by director David Cronenberg and cinematographer Mark Irwin
- Audio commentary by Tim Lucas, the on-set correspondent for Cinefantastique magazine and author of Videodrome: Studies in the Horror Film
- David Cronenberg and the Cinema of the Extreme – A documentary programme featuring interviews with Cronenberg, George A. Romero and Alex Cox on Cronenberg’s cinema, censorship and the horror genre
- Forging the New Flesh – A documentary programme by filmmaker Michael Lennick on Videodrome’s video and prosthetic make up effects
- Videoblivion – A brand new interview with cinematographer Mark Irwin
- A brand new interview with executive producer Pierre David
- AKA Jack Martin – Dennis Etchison, author of novelisations of Videodrome, Halloween, Halloween II and III and The Fog, discusses Videodrome and his observations of Cronenberg’s script
- The complete uncensored Samurai Dreams footage with additional ‘Videodrome’ broadcasts, with optional commentary by Michael Lennick
- Helmet Test and Betamax[ – Two featurettes by Michael Lennick on effects featured in the film
- Camera (2000) – Cronenberg’s short film starring Videodrome’s Les Carlson
- Fear on Film – A round table discussion from 1982 with Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Landis and Mick Garris
- Deleted scenes from the TV version
- Promotional featurette with behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Cronenberg, James Woods, Deborah Harry and Rick Baker
- Original theatrical trailer

DAVID CRONENBERG’S EARLY WORKS: BLU-RAY DISC 3 AND DVD DISC 4 [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of four Cronenberg films
- Transfer (1966) and From the Drain (1967) – Cronenberg’s previously unavailable short films newly restored by the Toronto International Film Festival [6 & 13 mins]
- Stereo (1969) and Crimes of the Future (1970) – Cronenberg’s early amateur feature films, shot in and around his university campus, prefiguring his later work’s concerns with strange institutions (much like Videodrome’s Spectacular Optical) as well as male/female separation (Dead Ringers) and ESP (Scanners). Newly restored from original lab elements [63 & 63 mins]
- Transfer the Future – Author and critic Kim Newman discusses Cronenberg’s early works

COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
- A 100-page hardback book featuring new writing including Justin Humphreys on Videodrome in a modern context, Brad Stevens on the alternate versions, Caelum Vatnsdal on Cronenberg’s early works, extracts from Cronenberg on Cronenberg featuring Cronenberg’s reminiscences of getting started in filmmaking and shooting all the films in this collection, plus more, illustrated with original archive stills

_shadow_

#10 Post by _shadow_ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm

That is MAJOR. This has become a must-buy for me. These scenes provide a fascinating insight into the changes in narrative made during production, and their absence from previous editions has made them seem incomplete, especially when those editions included other bonus features talking about the chaotic production and changes in script during filming.

Dr Amicus

#11 Post by Dr Amicus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Too right! The news that it's half gone already just made me get down and preorder now. It's long been my favourite of Cronenberg's films from the 80s, and it's been far too long since I last watched it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Arrow Facebook wrote:100% has shipped to retailers so when they run out its all gone. A very high percentage is pre-ordered so best not to wait!

manicsounds

#13 Post by manicsounds » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 pm

dwk

#14 Post by dwk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:16 am

Arrow confirmed on facebook that the "additional ‘Videodrome’ broadcasts" are not on this release

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:31 pm

I see numerous references online to From the Drain as a black & white film, but here it's presented in color. Does anyone know what the deal is here?

EddieLarkin

#16 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:53 pm

swo17 wrote:I see numerous references online to From the Drain as a black & white film, but here it's presented in color. Does anyone know what the deal is here?
Cineoutsider
Indeed, what few reviews of From the Drain I've managed to track down describe it as being shot in black-and-white. It isn't, but the fuzzy workprint version you can find online is devoid of colour, and the commentators in question have assumed this is how the film was shot.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#17 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:25 am

From Facebook:
And that's it folks! Videodrome is now OOP and has been removed from the Arrow Store. We can't believe this one has sold out 1 day after the official release date - a big thanks goes out to all of you that pre-ordered and picked this one up on release.

If you are still keen to grab a copy Amazon still have a small number left (Order direct form Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1LhleQN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and limited stocks may still be available at some HMV branches. Do try and act quickly to avoid disappointment!

GaryC

#18 Post by GaryC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:54 pm

Drucker wrote:From Facebook:
And that's it folks! Videodrome is now OOP and has been removed from the Arrow Store. We can't believe this one has sold out 1 day after the official release date - a big thanks goes out to all of you that pre-ordered and picked this one up on release.

If you are still keen to grab a copy Amazon still have a small number left (Order direct form Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1LhleQN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and limited stocks may still be available at some HMV branches. Do try and act quickly to avoid disappointment!
I ordered mine two days ago from Amazon and it arrived today. Just as well I did, from the sounds of it!

Zot!

#19 Post by Zot! » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:47 pm

_shadow_ wrote:That is MAJOR. This has become a must-buy for me. These scenes provide a fascinating insight into the changes in narrative made during production, and their absence from previous editions has made them seem incomplete, especially when those editions included other bonus features talking about the chaotic production and changes in script during filming.
Is the inclusion of the TV scenes a first on home video? I'm surprised Criterion excluded these...I think I remember complaining about the same at the time....well both times really.

Too bad Arrow muffed up the Videodrome footage, but you can't have it all.

zedz

#20 Post by zedz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm

GaryC wrote:
Drucker wrote:From Facebook:

I ordered mine two days ago from Amazon and it arrived today. Just as well I did, from the sounds of it!
I only got around to (pre-)ordering this a couple of weeks ago, and in that time I still managed to save ten pounds through the Amazon pre-order price guarantee. I have no idea why they would discount something so heavily on the brink of selling out entirely, but I'm not complaining!

Thornycroft

#21 Post by Thornycroft » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:24 am

Managed to snag one from the Arrow store just before they ran out and my goodness is it a gorgeous package. The book in particular is lovely and the extra material on Cronenberg's early work is really valuable.

Regarding the missing Videodrome broadcasts - even though the exclusion was an oversight is it possible the material might have run into trouble with the BBFC had it been included? I don't recall any of the footage being particularly rough or explicit but they have previously taken exception to sexually violent material when divorced from the context of the film itself.

MichaelB

#22 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:42 am

Mondo Digital:
It would be logical to assume that the Criterion edition would be the last word on the subject, but the UK branch of Arrow Films managed to catapult over it handily in 2015. (...) All in all, it's a stupendous package and one of the best Cronenberg editions to date.

Murdoch

#23 Post by Murdoch » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:55 pm

The Amazon listing is now sold out, already prices have hopped to 62 quid and higher!

manicsounds

#24 Post by manicsounds » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:29 am

Well, glad I snagged one of the few remaining copies.
Has Arrow announced a single disc non-limited edition?

MichaelB

#25 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:42 am

They've confirmed that one will be happening, but not the release date.