The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Ribs

Re: The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Commemorative Collection

#26 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm

perkizitore wrote:
Ribs wrote:Is that the final art? A bit of a step down from the other three Academy sets so far.

I'm *hesitant* about this and am contemplating trying to wait until the December sale so as to get double points. I'm *totally* unfamiliar with *all* of his work but its not like this set won't accrue in value if I end up disliking it (and at $6.60 a film (I've got rewards points saved up) I can't believe I won't think it's value for money).

Mildly disappointed because obviously it's not as big a deal as Rivette or Yoshida but still seems very exciting.
Last time they credited people double points if they pre-ordered before the sale started (the early bird price was still valid during the sale).
I would have waited for a possible December sale, but this being only 1000 copies might sell out even before then (especially if some people buy 2 and 3 copies).
Situation with this is slightly different - the Rivette and Battles prices were originally due to end before the sale started, but were changed to put them in the period when we knew/reasonably could guess a sale could happen. This one will almost definitely end after/during the next sale and therefore it wouldn't be so bad if there was no accredidation as informed customers should know that holding off is a smarter move.

And yes I do think this could sell out before then too - if we get any kind of update indicating stocks are at the half-way point or lower between now and then I'll put my money down now but I'll hold out hope (especially as Arrow seems to be moving their sales slightly earlier each month this time, so it will likely be in just three week's time)

R0lf

Re: The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Collection

#27 Post by R0lf » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:27 pm

I thought they gave everyone double points because the people trying to cancel their pre orders and re order them for the double points during the sale were a huge pain!

Ribs

#28 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 pm

It was both things, I'm sure. If this is still in stock come sale time I'm sure plenty of people would try to do the same yet again.

feihong

Re: The Rainer Werner Fassbinder Commemorative Collection

#29 Post by feihong » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:59 pm

Ribs wrote: I'm *hesitant* about this and am contemplating trying to wait until the December sale so as to get double points. I'm *totally* unfamiliar with *all* of his work but its not like this set won't accrue in value if I end up disliking it (and at $6.60 a film (I've got rewards points saved up) I can't believe I won't think it's value for money).

Mildly disappointed because obviously it's not as big a deal as Rivette or Yoshida but still seems very exciting.
Well, the Rivette and the Yoshida are more rarified, to be sure, but to me and maybe others like me the set is a pretty big deal. I think I thought for a second or two before ordering the Yoshida and the Rivette, but I literally didn't think about this set for a second, I just ordered it. It's hard to imagine that there isn't a lot to like in these movies. They're amazing. And many of them seemed locked in SD for a while, at least in the U.S., because of the Eclipse boxset. Beware of a Holy Whore alone is such a visually gorgeous movie, it didn't deserve to remain in SD for years. And I'm very interested in seeing Chinese Roulette and Effi Briest in high definition.

Zot!

#30 Post by Zot! » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:16 am

feihong wrote:
Ribs wrote: I'm *hesitant* about this and am contemplating trying to wait until the December sale so as to get double points. I'm *totally* unfamiliar with *all* of his work but its not like this set won't accrue in value if I end up disliking it (and at $6.60 a film (I've got rewards points saved up) I can't believe I won't think it's value for money).

Well, the Rivette and the Yoshida are more rarified, to be sure, but to me and maybe others like me the set is a pretty big deal. I think I thought for a second or two before ordering the Yoshida and the Rivette, but I literally didn't think about this set for a second, I just ordered it. It's hard to imagine that there isn't a lot to like in these movies. They're amazing. And many of them seemed locked in SD for a while, at least in the U.S., because of the Eclipse boxset. Beware of a Holy Whore alone is such a visually gorgeous movie, it didn't deserve to remain in SD for years. And I'm very interested in seeing Chinese Roulette and Effi Briest in high definition.
If you aren't familiar with Fassbinder, I fail to see how this isn't a huge announcement. It's a great collection of films. Just because it isn't some obscure neglected film, doesn't devalue this box one bit. I would be a lot more hesitant to take a chance on the other two directors, honestly.

Ribs

#31 Post by Ribs » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:20 am

I don't really think it's a contest regardless; yes it's good this box is released because it gets everything out there immediately (as well as the Eclipse stuff that we're still unsure if Criterion will ever consider upgrading themselves). Yes I'm still going to purchase it assuming it doesn't sell out by tomorrow. This is the first Academy set consisted of films pretty much wholly available in English-friendly media before; as such, it's less impressive to me because Arrow's two announcements since I've followed them (the Yoshida and Rivette ones) actively shocked me because, as you said, they do not read as making such terrific sellers commercially. I'm buying it because it's an excellent value for money and I want to keep sending Arrow the message for more Academy sets like they've put out and that they can put them out as fast as they like if they get this stuff out there.

Rupert Pupkin

#32 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:04 am

sorry if this has been discussed before- I'm very pleased with this release (I already own the Criterion Blu-Ray "...Four Seasons..." and "Petra Von Kant"

The Marriage of Maria Braun is one of my favorite R.W Fassbinder movie, thus I'm delighted and looking forward to see Hanna Schygulla in HD (I don't know why, but it has a kind of Truffaut-like feeling like "Le Dernier Metro" - even when Anna is walking on a table has some Truffaut-fetichism (or Wong Kar Wai)
That said, I don't understand why the complete BRD Trilogy can't be released ? is there some (c) issues ? some restoration problems with the 2 other movies ? (Lola and Veronika Voss) :oops:

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#33 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:29 am

Ribs wrote:I'm buying it because it's an excellent value for money and I want to keep sending Arrow the message for more Academy sets like they've put out and that they can put them out as fast as they like if they get this stuff out there.
I understand this, because it actually replicates quite well how I feel about it. I'm very interested by Maria Braun and Effi Briest on BD, but as a whole, it's also true than the Fassbinder movies look more accessible on video (even if it's only on DVD) compared to Rivette's or Borowczyk.

Still, this looks like a very good set, a comprehensive one which currently has also a very attractive price (which will be a help for me since I already bought the 3 available Criterion) and looks as a whole as a tremendous deal.

TMDaines

#34 Post by TMDaines » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:12 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:sorry if this has been discussed before- I'm very pleased with this release (I already own the Criterion Blu-Ray "...Four Seasons..." and "Petra Von Kant"

The Marriage of Maria Braun is one of my favorite R.W Fassbinder movie, thus I'm delighted and looking forward to see Hanna Schygulla in HD (I don't know why, but it has a kind of Truffaut-like feeling like "Le Dernier Metro" - even when Anna is walking on a table has some Truffaut-fetichism (or Wong Kar Wai)
That said, I don't understand why the complete BRD Trilogy can't be released ? is there some (c) issues ? some restoration problems with the 2 other movies ? (Lola and Veronika Voss) :oops:
It could be down to rights or it could be that these are all the restored Fassbinder films that are currently available. The Lola and Veronika Voss Artifical Eye DVDs are still in print in the UK, for example, and it was my understand that the Fassbinder films are currently being restored and remastered for HD one at a time.

It would be great to think that if this did reasonably well, there would be more to come in the future. Even in their hopelessly inconsistent days, Arrow have always served Fassbinder well.

Lost Highway

#35 Post by Lost Highway » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:12 pm

TMDaines wrote: It could be down to rights or it could be that these are all the restored Fassbinder films that are currently available. The Lola and Veronika Voss Artifical Eye DVDs are still in print in the UK, for example, and it was my understand that the Fassbinder films are currently being restored and remastered for HD one at a time.

It would be great to think that if this did reasonably well, there would be more to come in the future. Even in their hopelessly inconsistent days, Arrow have always served Fassbinder well.
That's it. I asked Michael B from Arrow on Blu-ray.com. It's up to The Fassbinder Foundation whether they want to release any more films thorough Arrow and that's all the restored films currently available to them.

Amazing box set in any case, even if I have three of the films already from Criterion.

feihong

#36 Post by feihong » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Wouldn't it be feasible to see Criterion update their BRD trilogy box in the future? That is one of their great boxset, full of extra features. The Lola disc alone offers one of the best audio commentaries ever, by Christian Braad Thomsen.

I would definitely double-buy Maria Braun to get blu rays of the other two with the Criterion extras. So worth it.

Grisbi

#37 Post by Grisbi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:52 pm

Is it reasonable to assume that Arrow will give notification via facebook twitter etc. if this becomes close to selling out?

Rupert Pupkin

#38 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:55 am

I hope so (for a BRD Criterion trilogy upgraded to Blu-Ray)

although I've bought already several R.W Fassbinder on blu-ray I'm very excited to say the least by this Arrow box set. The only thing which is not cohesive for me is that the BRD trilogy is not included in this box set.
But as someone posted above (thanks for your answer), this is perhaps a (c) issue /and/or the restoration are still in progress for "Lola" and "V.Voss"

Unless perhaps we would have a BRD Criterion upgraded to Blu-Ray on Monday ? [-o<
But if the restoration are not ready (Criterion still own the right by the way ?) they will certainly "hold" "Maria Braun" until the 2 others movies can be added to the box set (this was indeed one of their best Criterion DVD release- stunning box set)

thanks Arrow!

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:22 am

Arrow has indeed confirmed that these are all the restorations that are available to them, in much the same way that their choice of Elio Petri, Francesco Rosi and Czech New Wave titles was dictated by the availability of new restorations.

The Fassbinder Foundation ultimately plans to restore everything, but it's obviously a lengthy process.

Rupert Pupkin

#40 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:22 am

is a separate release of some titles on blu-ray ("...Maria Braun" for instance... [-o< ) planned by Arrow for a next-not-so-distant future ?

that said the current price is really attractive. That just that I'm a bit broken and already own 3 F.W Fassbinder on blu-ray released by Criterion

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#41 Post by tenia » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:35 am

MichaelB wrote:The Fassbinder Foundation ultimately plans to restore everything, but it's obviously a lengthy process.
Obviously, a lot of them still have to be restored, but I'm under the impression they've already done quite a lot (and quite well) in a relatively short time. When you look at some directors whose work only is restored at a pace of one movie every 2-3 years, Fassbinder movies look quite lucky.

MichaelB

#42 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:15 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:is a separate release of some titles on blu-ray ("...Maria Braun" for instance... [-o< ) planned by Arrow for a next-not-so-distant future ?
Arrow has already confirmed that the discs will be coming out separately. Hence the design based around multiple Amaray cases - I imagine they'll be running off rather more than 1,000 individual discs, sleeves etc.

Lost Highway

#43 Post by Lost Highway » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:47 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:I hope so (for a BRD Criterion trilogy upgraded to Blu-Ray)

although I've bought already several R.W Fassbinder on blu-ray I'm very excited to say the least by this Arrow box set. The only thing which is not cohesive for me is that the BRD trilogy is not included in this box set.
But as someone posted above (thanks for your answer), this is perhaps a (c) issue /and/or the restoration are still in progress for "Lola" and "V.Voss"

Unless perhaps we would have a BRD Criterion upgraded to Blu-Ray on Monday ? [-o<
But if the restoration are not ready (Criterion still own the right by the way ?) they will certainly "hold" "Maria Braun" until the 2 others movies can be added to the box set (this was indeed one of their best Criterion DVD release- stunning box set)

thanks Arrow!
It would have been nice to have to get Veronika Voss, which is my favourite of his films from Maria Braun onwards, but as trilogies go, it's among the least essential to watch as a group. I'd rather have these films sooner rather than later. All three films completely stand on their own with no narrative or character connections. When Fassbinder made Maria Braun it wasn't planned to be part of a trilogy. He only decided that with Lola (maybe one of my least favourite of his films, if still worthwhile of course) After Veronika Voss he planned to make more films about women in post war Germany. It then would have become an ongoing series rather than remain a trilogy.

nolanoe

#44 Post by nolanoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:35 pm

It's been said again and again that the RWFF is restoring the 8 DAYS... series, but last I heard about it was years ago.
So yeah, they're taking their time. :(

I dislike the majority of this set, so I will pass. But good to see they're getting ahead in restoring his work.

Lost Highway

#45 Post by Lost Highway » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:54 am

nolanoe wrote:It's been said again and again that the RWFF is restoring the 8 DAYS... series, but last I heard about it was years ago.
So yeah, they're taking their time. :(

I dislike the majority of this set, so I will pass. But good to see they're getting ahead in restoring his work.
That put me in my place for bringing it up, as apparently it's been said again and again, even if it was years ago. And I'm not sure how I would have lived without the knowledge that you're not interested in the set because you don't like majority of Fassbinders most essential films.

Ribs

#46 Post by Ribs » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:45 am

FWIW, Arrow says on FB that if they sell out well before the print run they'd extend it for more copies than the 1,000 initially announced.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:46 am

Ribs wrote:FWIW, Arrow says on FB that if they sell out well before the print run they'd extend it for more copies than the 1,000 initially announced.
Ah, the ol' Scream Factory version of "limited edition"

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#48 Post by tenia » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:56 am

I guess they imagined that making it a Store Exclusive would compensate for the lower print run while still allowing to make a good chunk of money thanks to the lack of intermediate sellers / retailers.

If they manage to sell 1000 (or furthermore 2000) copies through their store alone, that would certainly be quite nice financially speaking.

TMDaines

#49 Post by TMDaines » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:38 pm

In fairness, I would have been shocked if they didn't extend the print run. Doesn't really matter as long as the number is finalised prior to going to print.

whaleallright

#50 Post by whaleallright » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:50 pm

is anyone else having trouble ordering this on the Arrow website? I've tried on two different computers (one a Mac, one a PC), on two separate networks, using three different browsers, and one of the following happens:

1) I click "add to cart" and... nothing happens

2) the item is added to the cart, but when I get to the checkout page and l click the "continue" button below "register account"... nothing happens