Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Solaris

#101 Post by Solaris » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 am

mcginty

#102 Post by mcginty » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:06 pm

It looks like Twin Peaks Season Two is being offered in a single set in April, not two sets like they did overseas.

Is Lost Highway a possibility for Criterion? They do have a relationship with Universal, after all.

Antoine Doinel

#103 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Considering they tried to work with Lynch previously on Eraserhead and it didn't work out, I'm not sure how much they would be into actively seeking him out again and spending a protracted amount of time trying to get the DVD release to his liking. And I'm sure Lynch might he hesitant to work with them again as well. Any Lost Highway release without the participation of Lynch would be moot IMO.

Lynch seems to be extremely particular about how his films are released - at least the ones he has at least some input to - and that's fine, but I would imagine his casual pace, and exacting demands are trying for any DVD company.

I'm pretty much expecting the June release date of Inland Empire being distributed by Rhino to be bumped.

miless

#104 Post by miless » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:11 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:Any Lost Highway release without the participation of Lynch would be moot IMO.

I'm pretty much expecting the June release date of Inland Empire being distributed by Rhino to be bumped.
according to Lynch an HD transfer of Lost Highway has been done and ready for release for the past few years. It's Universal dragging their feet on this one (as they acquired the rights from USA Films who had a scheduled release date).
I could see Criterion releasing it, but us not hearing about it until an official announcement (as Lynch is very particular about secrecy)

cinemartin

#105 Post by cinemartin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Just got season 2 today. Looks and sounds great. The only problem I have is that they have no "previously on Twin Peaks" segment at the beginning of the episodes. Oh well.

John Cope

#106 Post by John Cope » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:22 pm

I haven't got mine yet but I assume they'll be missing one of my favorite treats from the original broadcasts: the promos for the next episodes. These were really pretty cool as they were not the typical collection of hastily patched together snippets of scenes, something that always feels arbitrary whether it is or not, but instead were still frames of iconic imagery with brief extracts of cryptic dialogue overlaid. This approach was totally appropriate for Peaks and helped give every aspect of the show its own distinct flavor.

Fletch F. Fletch

#107 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:40 pm

DVDFile review.

dadaistnun

#108 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:13 am

Has there been any further confirmation about a complete series box set coming out later this year? I've waited so long for Season Two to come to dvd that I'm prepared to wait a little longer if it means getting the pilot.

Fletch F. Fletch

#109 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:41 pm

Still no official word. I finally checked out all of the Season 2 box set and I would agree with most of the reviews in that the transfers of the episodes themselves are top notch but the extras leave something to be desired. They are fine but seem so brief and few and far between. That being said, the highlight amongst them are the interview soundbites with various cast members including a memorable anecdote told by of all people James Marshall.

John Cope

#110 Post by John Cope » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:54 pm

Some more related links, the best being the reviews over at Slant and The House Next Door.

On the other hand, the DVD Talk piece is moronic. I often wonder what in the world people like this ever saw in the show.

filmnoir1

#111 Post by filmnoir1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:07 pm

I just finished watching all the episodes late last night and I have to say that the audio/visual quality is up to par but the extras are not unfortunately. That being said this is truly one of the great American television shows that gave life to other equally great and interesting shows like The X-Files, and Lost. I hope that someday soon people will realize how important this show was and is to the American consciousness.

richast2

#112 Post by richast2 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:09 pm

I just watched episode 18, and the sound mix seemed pretty messy in places. Admittedly, I'm only listening to it in stereo, but in two particular scenes (Nadine and Donna talking in the hallway, Nadine and Mike and the coach in the weight room), the music made it so that the dialogue was almost totally obscured. did anyone else have this problem? I haven't noticed it on any of the other episodes.

Rich Malloy

#113 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:13 am

richast2 wrote:I just watched episode 18, and the sound mix seemed pretty messy in places. Admittedly, I'm only listening to it in stereo, but in two particular scenes (Nadine and Donna talking in the hallway, Nadine and Mike and the coach in the weight room), the music made it so that the dialogue was almost totally obscured. did anyone else have this problem? I haven't noticed it on any of the other episodes.
I just so happened to watch that episode last night, and I don't recall having any difficulty hearing the dialog. Nadine asked Donna whether she was still dating Mike and Donna responded by querying whether Nadine was still "seeing" Ed ("sometimes he seems as old as my father!"). I forget any dialog that may have occurred between Mike and Nadine when she started doing the leg presses, but the Coach clearly asked her whether she ever considered going out for the wrestling team. There may well be some issues with the mix at those points - though I don't recall - but the dialog was certainly not "almost totally obscured". I'm the sort that would have backed-up and put the subtitles on if I though I'd missed anything.

richast2

#114 Post by richast2 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:53 am

From an article in today's Chicago Tribune:
Frost confirms that a comprehensive DVD boxed set of the entire run, including the pilot, will be released "within a year."

denti alligator

#115 Post by denti alligator » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:45 pm

I've only watched episode 8 so far, but I noticed two problems.
One: the sound seemed to be slightly off synch for most of the episode.

But more importantly: during one important scene (Cooper's first hypothesis of what happened the night Laura was killed) the video turns dark and ugly, as bad as a VHS version of the episode. What's going on here? And why has no one else noticed this?

Can others please check episode 8. The difference is noticeable from 1:05:40 to 1:07:34, when it switches back to the pristine image we get from the rest of the episode.

Fletch F. Fletch

#116 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:56 am

Dugpa has posted several problems with the set:
Apr 23, 2007
More Alterations to the Season 2 DVD Set
Well, I've finally completed watching the entire set of Twin Peaks: Season 2 on DVD. After waiting almost 6 years for this set to come out, I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the final result. The latest in a series of strange alterations with this box set comes the following message recently sent to me:

I just finished watching episode 14, directed by David Lynch, and I realized that there´s an editing discrepancy in the DVD version when compared to the VHS version of the same episode. Just after Leland puts on his gloves, and after Maddy asks about the peculiar smell in the air, Leland starts walking towards her (i.e. the camera). In the VHS version, the editing is slightly different, there is only when instance that shows Leland walking towards the camera, whereas in the DVD version, Leland walks, cut to Maddy, cut to Leland on his way to grab her, she screams, cut to Leand again. In the VHS tape, Maddy screams before he starts walking, just after Bob is superimposed on Leland´s image. Anyway, I just checked the VHS version and I can certify to the veracity of this discrepancy.

I no longer have a copy on VHS but would be very interested to see if anyone can post this on YouTube along with a comparison of the DVD version. Add this one to missing dialogue in the new audio mix for Episode 28, bad compression on the dark scenes of Episode 29, and new framing showing boom microphones and a falling glove. Thanks to Leo Faraon for the news.
On a more promising note, the second album of Twin Peaks music seems to be chugging along for a release date. These scant details sound promising:
Twin Peaks Season 2 CD News

I've been told by a few sources that it is alsmot ready. The CD has gone to mastering and should be pressed and distributed in the next few weeks. It will be available retail and also at David Lynch.com. I was told there would be special deals if you get your copy at David Lynch.com. Also interesting news is that there will be at least 2 tracks from FWWM on the CD as well as the CD will no longer be just Season 2 music. Moe details as they come.

denti alligator

#117 Post by denti alligator » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:07 pm

So am I alone in seeing this image problem in episode 8?

Quot

#118 Post by Quot » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:43 pm

denti alligator wrote:So am I alone in seeing this image problem in episode 8?
The intro/outro from the 1:05:40 to 1:07:34 mark span is consistent with the rest of the set; what's contained within is a flashback montage of superimposed images, including what appears to be some fuzzy, grainy snapshots of the crime scene. I remember it being the exact same during the original network run. The darkness in those scenes is entirely intentional.

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#119 Post by nick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:33 pm

denti wrote:So am I alone in seeing this image problem in episode 8?

No, your not alone; I just finished the second season the other night and there were a few instances throughout the whole season where the image quality seemed to lack sharpness. One instance I can remember (although I don't remember what episode it was) was completely out of focus and hazy. I haven't noticed any audio problems to speak of but I could've missed something.

colinr0380

#120 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 03, 2007 2:55 pm

I thought I'd add the link to Angelo Badalamenti's MySpace page since I can't yet discuss the second season of Twin Peaks - I'm waiting for the boxset later in the year!

Rich Malloy

#121 Post by Rich Malloy » Fri May 04, 2007 2:23 pm

I forget which episode - one of the later, post-Palmer ones - but there's a noticeable drop in video quality in a scene featuring Coop and Annie at the bar of the RR Diner, a single slow pullback shot with ominous music that reveals a "woman" sitting a few stools away (Windom Earle?). It looked like source material issues, not a problem with the transfer/encoding.

richast2

#122 Post by richast2 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:22 pm

there's another drop in video quality in the first shot of the scene where Audrey meets Windom Earle in the library.

Fletch F. Fletch

#123 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri May 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Angelo Badalmenti's Myspace account has got a new track appearing on the upcoming Twin Peaks soundtrack album from Fire Walk With Me -- "Half Heart." Man, it sounds great. Can't wait until this comes out!

dadaistnun

#124 Post by dadaistnun » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 am

patrick

#125 Post by patrick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:37 pm

That cover art is atrocious.