Twin Peaks

Discuss TV shows old and new.
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Twin Peaks

#326 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:54 pm

It'd be so foolish of Showtime not to allow Lynch to do this the way he wants to do it.

Zot!

#327 Post by Zot! » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:51 pm

It could be anything, though. Take for instance the 10 years or whatever it took Eraserhead to make it to Criterion over something that seemed to have little to do with money.

sir_luke

#328 Post by sir_luke » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 am

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#329 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 am

I won't believe it until I hear it from Lynch.

criterion10

#330 Post by criterion10 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:15 am

Seems like the issue is over DVD and Streaming Sales

I can't see this not happening though, especially over financial reasons. My guess is that both parties will come to an agreement one way or another.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#331 Post by Drucker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:18 am

Considering the creative control he lost the first time around, and considering Lynch's (justified) attitude towards total creative control about every little thing (including making sure a DVD doesn't have chapter stops), I'm surprised anyone would be optimistic and figure it's definitely going to happen.

R0lf

#332 Post by R0lf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:16 am

Showtimes statement sounds like they will make the series with or without Lynch.

pzadvance

#333 Post by pzadvance » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:45 pm

R0lf wrote:Showtimes statement sounds like they will make the series with or without Lynch.
Link?

sir_luke

#334 Post by sir_luke » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:05 pm

I think R0lf was referring to this:
sir_luke wrote:We can breathe: Showtime says the new season is still on

Roger Ryan

#335 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm

sir_luke wrote:I think R0lf was referring to this:
sir_luke wrote:We can breathe: Showtime says the new season is still on
Lynch's comment seemed to be a way to stir up some fan support as he tries to get a better deal for himself on the project. Showtime's response is an attempt to diffuse any panic that Lynch's statement may have caused and, possibly, to bolster its own position that the network could go ahead without Lynch. In the end, I'd bet money on an agreement being reached.

flyonthewall2983

#336 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:58 pm

@TwinPeaksFest is reporting Lynch pulled the plug.

lefeufollet

#337 Post by lefeufollet » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:11 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:@TwinPeaksFest is reporting Lynch pulled the plug.
The stories making the rounds seem to indicate that it's Showtime that has pulled the plug. Perhaps another outlet will step in and pick up the series.

oh yeah

#338 Post by oh yeah » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Somehow I had a feeling something was going to go wrong, from the start. I won't actually be that disappointed if there is no third season, because I feel it could be a total disaster, trying to continue a series after 25 years.

Ribs

#339 Post by Ribs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Statement from Lynch:

oh yeah

#340 Post by oh yeah » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Wow, well... damn. Twin Peaks without Lynch is far worse than no Twin Peaks at all. Maybe all the cast will hold out and force Showtime to cater to Lynch's demands (the details of which I am very curious about...)

The Narrator Returns

#341 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:53 pm

If it means anything, Showtime's response reads like begging for Lynch to come back.

hearthesilence

#342 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:00 pm

They really can't afford to blow this, after all the attention it's gotten. It would be asinine to piss it all away.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#343 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:19 am

Are they out of their minds? If the issue truly is the budget, just get it done. I find it hard to believe that Lynch is looking for any more money than, say, True Detective or The Knick is costing HBO each season.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#344 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:49 am

The Doogster

#345 Post by The Doogster » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Eip yrrehc fo ecils a dna eeffoc emos deen I deticxe os m'I.

J M Powell

#346 Post by J M Powell » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:55 pm

This is getting odd. The cast has created a facebook page pushing the #savetwinpeaks line, and a video compiling variations on the theme of "Twin Peaks without David Lynch is like _______ without _______". Sheryl Lee, Madchen Amick, Sherilyn Fenn, Jennifer Lynch and a bunch of others have all contributed. It's located here: https://www.facebook.com/savetwinpeaks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But remember, this whole thing started when David Lynch supposedly called the cast members on Sunday to tell them he wouldn't be directing. And now they respond by trying to rally fan support to bring Lynch back on board. If the campaign were aimed at persuading Lynch to reconsider, it might make more sense. But it's not -- it's obviously aimed at Showtime, asking them to give Lynch the budgets he wants. So the whole thing seems a bit orchestrated, with Lynch using the cast members and the fans as (more or less willing) pawns in a big negotiating gamble.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do whatever Mr. Lynch wants if the end result is more funding for this project. I just wish I could see the contours of the chessboard more clearly before I climb into that life-size pawn costume . . .

Ribs

#347 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm

The cynical side in me also thinks a big reason Showtime picked this up was to compete with True Detective S2 in the Emmy's next year, but the recent Emmy's rule shuffle could/should rule a continuation of anything out as a Miniseries so it really wouldn't have any chance. So they feel less incentivized to see it through.

oh yeah

#348 Post by oh yeah » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:21 am

Ribs wrote:The cynical side in me also thinks a big reason Showtime picked this up was to compete with True Detective S2 in the Emmy's next year, but the recent Emmy's rule shuffle could/should rule a continuation of anything out as a Miniseries so it really wouldn't have any chance. So they feel less incentivized to see it through.
Eh, it's my understanding that Lynch and Frost have been talking about this with Showtime since January 2014, before True Detective's first episode aired. Even if that's not so, I doubt that'd be anything more than a minor reason for them picking the show up. Really, if this works out and Lynch gets on board (even if only for 2 or 3 episodes), Showtime will gain so much in terms of prestige and critical and audience acclaim that it might start to be thought of as less HBO's cheaper/lamer cousin and more an Important Network. That's likely the real reason Showtime desparately wants (or should want) a quality Lynch-fronted Twin Peaks revival. Just 9 episodes could really put them on the map in a way other networks would need multiple seasons of multiple shows to do. (I know, Showtime ain't TNT or something, but it seems generally acknowledged that, despite Dexter's success, they're just a poor man's HBO or even AMC, and largely without the high quality artistry of the shows that those networks have produced).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#349 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:25 am

They're also owned by CBS, who have owned the rights to Twin Peaks from jump street. I don't think there's much of a conspiracy beyond that. Showtime is the right fit for this, and CBS gets to reap all the profits from it by airing it on one of their own networks.

oh yeah

#350 Post by oh yeah » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:They're also owned by CBS, who have owned the rights to Twin Peaks from jump street. I don't think there's much of a conspiracy beyond that. Showtime is the right fit for this, and CBS gets to reap all the profits from it by airing it on one of their own networks.
Right, I forgot about that. That's one of the reasons Lynch feels comfortable doing this with Showtime -- he's actually dealing with one of the people who stood by the original Peaks when it aired (his name's escaping me). So all the people saying "take it to Netflix!" or whatever don't realize that it's pretty much Showtime or bust for Lynch. He's wary of TV, and probably wouldn't want to work with totally unfamiliar faces.