pzadvance

Re: Twin Peaks

#301 Post by pzadvance » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Whatttttttttttt

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#302 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm surprised it didn't go to Netflix given that's how the series has now been reintroduced to a whole new, younger generation of viewers

Mr Sausage

#303 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:27 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm surprised it didn't go to Netflix given that's how the series has now been reintroduced to a whole new, younger generation of viewers
According to the articles, the ABC exec. who originally worked with Lynch and Frost on Twin Peaks is now an original programming exec. at Showtime. This appears to've been a crucial factor in the show returning.

Roger Ryan

#304 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I'm surprised it didn't go to Netflix given that's how the series has now been reintroduced to a whole new, younger generation of viewers
According to the articles, the ABC exec. who originally worked with Lynch and Frost on Twin Peaks is now an original programming exec. at Showtime. This appears to've been a crucial factor in the show returning.
Yep and Showtime intends to air all of the original series episodes leading up to the debut of the new ones. It's pretty fortuitous that Laura Palmer whispered in Agent Cooper's ear that she would see him again in 25 years. Lynch and Frost intend to pick up the story twenty-five years after the events in the original series so it will have a contemporary setting (does this mean Cooper will be incessantly texting his secretary Diane?). That Lynch will direct all nine hours somewhat makes up for the lack of any feature work from the man for the last eight years.

oh yeah

#305 Post by oh yeah » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm just as surprised as anybody else; I always read on message boards and whatnot how fans wished for more Twin Peaks 25 years after Laura's promise, but I just thought the show was dead and gone and Lynch didn't seem like he wanted to return to it (or television, period, after the fiasco of Mulholland Drive). But this makes a lot of sense given the TV climate of the past few years and how I'm sure Lynch and Frost will get basically total creative control. I just wonder how successful they will be at evoking the original while still offering something new and fresh; isn't this unprecedented in TV history, for a show to be cancelled but then get another season 25 years later and be considered the same show and not a spin-off or re-make?

cinemartin

#306 Post by cinemartin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:50 pm

I think they continued Dallas decades after it was cancelled.

oh yeah

#307 Post by oh yeah » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 pm

cinemartin wrote:I think they continued Dallas decades after it was cancelled.
I thought of that, but the original and the re-boot have different IMDb pages; this continuation of Peaks seems more like a genuine third season, albeit one that takes place 25 years later.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#308 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Here's hoping it's in Academy and shot on film, but I suppose I'm not really holding my breath for either. It'd just be terrific if it were as smooth a transition visually as possible from those original episodes, making the new season feel in concert with the rest of the series and the film still stand alone.

Zot!

#309 Post by Zot! » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:26 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Here's hoping it's in Academy and shot on film, but I suppose I'm not really holding my breath for either. It'd just be terrific if it were as smooth a transition visually as possible from those original episodes, making the new season feel in concert with the rest of the series and the film still stand alone.
It would be funny, but I'd guess it will be up to recent trends (16x9, digital)

Finch

#310 Post by Finch » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Mark Frost's told the Hollywood Reporter Netflix wouldn't have worked for them due to the binge viewing the channel encourages with releasing entire seasons of House of Cards etc. Lynch and Frost prefer to give viewers "one chapter at a time rather than the whole book".

Wondering how they'll address Silva's death, and I'm going to miss Don Davis as Major Briggs and Jack Nance.

I think they should ask Moira Kelly back to play Donna. Lara Flynn Boyle is unrecognisable after all the surgery she's had.

Gregory

#311 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Zot! wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Here's hoping it's in Academy and shot on film, but I suppose I'm not really holding my breath for either. It'd just be terrific if it were as smooth a transition visually as possible from those original episodes, making the new season feel in concert with the rest of the series and the film still stand alone.
It would be funny, but I'd guess it will be up to recent trends (16x9, digital)
Lynch "fell in love with" shooting digitally and has said he could never go back to shooting on film.

EddieLarkin

#312 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Actually only last week he said this:
Lynch wrote:“For a long time I championed digital. I fell in love with digital in building a website, and that carried into Inland Empire. And recently, I was working on the deleted scenes from Twin Peaks. For the first time in a long time I saw images shot on film. And I was overwhelmed by the depth and the beauty that celluloid and film can give. It has such a depth and such a beauty.”
So perhaps it could be shot on film. Though I'd bet a whole cherry pie that whilst it would be cool in 4:3, it won't be in anything other than 16:9.

Gregory

#313 Post by Gregory » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:35 pm

That's funny. Even as I was typing that, I had a nagging feeling that just about anything Lynch had said could be subject to revision. He'd sounded so definite about never, ever wanting to shoot on film again.

flyonthewall2983

#314 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:44 pm

cinemartin wrote:I think they continued Dallas decades after it was cancelled.
And TNT just cancelled it.

Cold Bishop

#315 Post by Cold Bishop » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:46 pm

Prior to that, he recently shot a commercial on film, and said it was like falling in love again. So 35mm is still very much a possibility.

John Cope

#316 Post by John Cope » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

While everyone has been obsessing (rightly) over the return of possible cast members or Badalamenti, I would vote heartily for the return of Ron Garcia as DP. Though he didn't set the abiding look of the show, I've always thought his contributions to the pilot and the feature were remarkable and utterly invaluable. He would be among the additions I would be most excited about.

Ashirg

#317 Post by Ashirg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Speaking of Ron Garcia, I recommend checking him out on American Cinematographer Podcast talking about Twin Peaks pilot and film. (Episode 60)

criterion10

#319 Post by criterion10 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:42 am

mfunk9786 wrote:I have a replacement coming from Amazon, fingers crossed for the glue on this one. But I'm thinking if the glue is bad on so many sets, the best case scenario will be that the digi panel will barely be glued into the box, and I'll constantly have to be concerned that it's going to pop out. Maybe swo was right all along.
I know it's months later, but I just got this set for Christmas and had the exact same problem as you, Mfunk. Did a replacement resolve the problem, or is this a pretty widespread issue? Debating whether or not to send my copy back. Not sure yet if my discs also have the audio sync issues.

eerik

#320 Post by eerik » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:07 pm

David Lynch on Twitter wrote:Welcome back to #TwinPeaks Special Agent Dale Cooper! @Kyle_MacLachlan returns in '16 on @SHO_Network #damnfinecoffee

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#321 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 pm

criterion10 wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:I have a replacement coming from Amazon, fingers crossed for the glue on this one. But I'm thinking if the glue is bad on so many sets, the best case scenario will be that the digi panel will barely be glued into the box, and I'll constantly have to be concerned that it's going to pop out. Maybe swo was right all along.
I know it's months later, but I just got this set for Christmas and had the exact same problem as you, Mfunk. Did a replacement resolve the problem, or is this a pretty widespread issue? Debating whether or not to send my copy back. Not sure yet if my discs also have the audio sync issues.
Sorry I didn't see this sooner - I got a replacement that solved the problem, because I don't own a hot glue gun it just seemed like the easier option - but it really does seem like hot glue is an easy and reliable solution if you do it carefully.

John Cope

#322 Post by John Cope » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:34 pm

What's been the consensus so far on the whole sound sync issue for the boxset? Is it a hugely prevalent problem throughout the contents or just during the deleted material (I had heard from some that it apparently was affecting episodes and the movie as well which would be utterly intolerable)? How big a problem is this? Can it be remedied across the board with all players? I've waited to pick this up as I was waiting and hoping there would be a recall or some statement issued that a reissue would resolve the problem (also waiting for a great deal, of course). Anyway, this has not happened and it's as though we're apparently just meant to accept what I would consider a possibly deal-breaking problem as something we just have to live with. It's extremely frustrating as it's also been said that the sound sync only affects some players and not others but there's been no master list provided for that either. It just seems like something more could be done than what has been done to address this issue, particularly given the rather large chunk of change this set goes for (I'm not inclined to drop close to a hundred bucks for something with an irresolvable issue that makes viewing impossible).

EddieLarkin

#323 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:48 pm

YMMV (or as you say, your player). I haven't watched the deleted scenes, but I didn't encounter a single noticeable instance during the whole series or the film.

Robin Davies

#324 Post by Robin Davies » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:59 am

I don't think there is a "consensus". Some people have no problems at all, some have noticed the problem and returned their sets in disgust, some probably haven't noticed it and others have found a way of fixing it. I agree that the silence from CBS on this issue is pretty disgraceful.
Someone on the dugpa forum has linked to a survey which will try to ascertain which players are affected (though I read that the TV itself may also be part of the problem).
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a Sony BDP-S480 player which has an A/V sync facility. By setting this to maximum I was able to solve the problem (which in my case affected several parts of The Missing Pieces and some parts of one episode). If you have an A/V sync adjustment facility on your player it might be worth getting the set and giving it a try. If it fails you can always get a refund. In all other respects the set is wonderful.

John Cope

#325 Post by John Cope » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:41 pm

Lynch suggests there may be a problem. I wonder what the hold up could be. Is this just Lynch referring to the typical negotiating over actors' deals? Also, he hasn't worked in "the system" in 15 years and it was a system that burned him a number of times before. I can't imagine the transition back into dealing with all the issues that go along with that has been by any means an easy or seamless one for him. I would think too that there may be some concern about what happens now that it's been relaunched as a series. Does Showtime want the possibility to extend it past 2016 into multiple seasons? If so I can't imagine Lynch committing his life to it. And yet I don't think he was any happier than most other people with the state of the show before when he wasn't fully on board--when it wasn't his vision in other words. If this was almost anybody else it might not matter as much but Lynch's view of his work as his art makes it more complicated.