Late Night Television

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Robert de la Cheyniest

Re: Late Night Television

#26 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 pm

A very classy response from Conan. As a die hard Letterman watcher during my high school years I've always hated Jay Leno with a passion (also he's not funny) and this definitely doesn't help that opinion. But more importantly, who the hell is running NBC right now? Jesus!

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Moving Leno to 10 was that idiot Ben Silverman's idea. If he hadn't already left NBC, I'm sure he'd be fired over this debacle. The best thing NBC could do is to cut Leno loose and give him a development deal. Or stick him on Sunday nights.

For me, messing with The Tonight Show, one of the greatest continuing institutions in TV history, is not an option (and I probably watched Leno's version maybe 10 times and never all the way through). You might as well cancel TV altogether.

I don't think jumping to Fox would be a good move for Conan. They have no established late-night presence and a terrible history of previous late-night endeavors (Chevy Chase Show, anyone?). Furthermore, any late-night show on Fox would probably come on at 11:00 (Eastern), after the 10:00 local news and a half-hour of, what, TMZ (that's what's on my Fox affiliate)? They think people are going to stick around? And not be watching the better local news at 11? Or a rerun of Seinfeld?

Highway 61

#28 Post by Highway 61 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Matt wrote:I don't think jumping to Fox would be a good move for Conan. They have no established late-night presence and a terrible history of previous late-night endeavors (Chevy Chase Show, anyone?). Furthermore, any late-night show on Fox would probably come on at 11:00 (Eastern), after the 10:00 local news and a half-hour of, what, TMZ (that's what's on my Fox affiliate)? They think people are going to stick around? And not be watching the better local news at 11? Or a rerun of Seinfeld?
You know where I'd like to see Conan go? HBO. Not just for the lack of censorship, but I have to think pay cable would allow him to do longer interviews with more interesting guests.

Still, I'm more optimistic about Fox than you are. They're a far bigger network today than when they did the Chevy Chase and Joan Rivers shows. And I imagine they won't be harping on Conan to water down his act.

flyonthewall2983

#29 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:20 pm

God, that would be great if Conan went to HBO.

tavernier

#30 Post by tavernier » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Highway 61 wrote:You know where I'd like to see Conan go? HBO. Not just for the lack of censorship, but I have to think pay cable would allow him to do longer interviews with more interesting guests.
You're not serious...Conan is a worse interviewer than Leno.

Napier

#31 Post by Napier » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Conan has told NBC to go fuck itself. Apparently they have already inked Leno to a new deal. This next week or so of The Tonight Show should be great, to say the least. Here's hoping for some good old fashioned Network style TV.

Fiery Angel

#32 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Dave was good and snarky last night, especially when he was imitating Leno's whiny voice.

Highway 61

#33 Post by Highway 61 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 am

tavernier wrote:
Highway 61 wrote:You know where I'd like to see Conan go? HBO. Not just for the lack of censorship, but I have to think pay cable would allow him to do longer interviews with more interesting guests.
You're not serious...Conan is a worse interviewer than Leno.
Call me crazy, but I am serious. My intuition could easily be off on this, but I think Conan's lame interviews are more a symptom of A) Consistently B-list guests at 12:30 and later when NBC screwed him over in favor of Leno and B) A concious effort to play nice so as to prove to NBC that he was mainstream. Again it's mere intuition, but I think wherever Conan goes next he'll be edgier and more intelligent.

Cold Bishop

#34 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 am

Conan's interview has always followed a basic pattern.

1) The first guest is usually you're average bland pr-run celebrity. The difference between A and B-listers isn't all that important, since its obvious there's not much to talk about other than the basic play-nice approach that is symptomatic of every talk show. Occasionally, he'll nab someone he really would like to talk to (he did seem to genuinely enjoy interviewing Gary Oldman the other night), but there's not much you can do here.

2) Second guest usually tends to be the less famous, but much more interesting person, more often the person which it is obvious Conan invited, and as such, the subject of the better interview. This is where most of the comics end up, and Conan's best interviews (with Norm McDonald, Dave Chappelle, Patton Oswalt and such) usually fall in this category.

3) Stand-up or musical guest: this is where the transistion to the Tonight Show really did damage, as he hasn't been able to bring in the more edgy acts the way he use to.

Anyways, the best thing about Conan has always been the stuff around the regular talk-show schtick than the schtick itself (not only interviews, but his monologues have never been amazing, and most of the humor comes from how self-deprecating they are), the jump to an edgier network could perhaps allow him to break and subvert the traditional format a little more.

Sure, he's not a Charlie Rose or Dick Cavett, but that's because guests go on there to hawk their wears, not face serious questions. If anything, Conan's "poor interviewing" skills (a common complaint) is his attempt to make dead-weight interviews more interesting.

Murdoch

#35 Post by Murdoch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm

I've always thought Craig Ferguson's great at interviews if only because he comes off as the guest's half-drunk uncle.

Highway 61

#36 Post by Highway 61 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:19 pm

I normally have no time for Jimmy Kimmel, but his hour long Jay Leno evisceration last night was the funniest thing I've seen on network late night TV in years.

tavernier

#37 Post by tavernier » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Dave's "promo" for Law and Order: Leno Victims Unit was pretty good....

Jeff

#38 Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 pm

tavernier wrote:Dave's "promo" for Law and Order: Leno Victims Unit was pretty good....
Here

Polybius

#39 Post by Polybius » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 am

Fiery Angel wrote:Dave was good and snarky last night, especially when he was imitating Leno's whiny voice.
"Don't kid yourselves...these guys wouldn't have their jobs if they didn't know what they were doing." :lol:

Robert de la Cheyniest

#40 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 pm

And here is the Dave Letterman we all know and love

And here too

Highway 61

#41 Post by Highway 61 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:05 am

Once again, I'm surprised to learn that Kimmel isn't a hack. Here he is telling Leno to fuck off right to his face.
Last edited by Highway 61 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#42 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 am

Kimmel isn't a hack, really. He just looks (and acts a bit) like an asshole. You'd swear if he wasn't intentionally funny he'd be a shoe-in for Fox News.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#43 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 am

That Kimmel clip is absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, I suppose, this is all for naught: it's not like Leno has a soul or anything.

flyonthewall2983

#44 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:32 pm

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cl ... 43187.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Murdoch

#45 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 pm

tavernier

#47 Post by tavernier » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:04 pm

So were all 3 together or was it CGI?

Jeff

#48 Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:31 am

tavernier wrote:So were all 3 together or was it CGI?
It was legit.

flyonthewall2983

#49 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Conan's going to TBS.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#50 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

What could the allure of TBS possibly be? This is downright embarassing... no one watches TBS for anything but Seinfeld reruns.