Late Night Television

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Jeff

Re: Late Night Television

#101 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:41 pm

dx23 wrote:Daily Show and Colbert Report are showing reruns due to the hurricane.
Letterman, meanwhile, was in top form doing the show with Denzel Washington and absolutely no one in the audience. It was like a silly, grouchy Charlie Rose.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#102 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Same with Jimmy Fallon, minus the grouchy

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#103 Post by lacritfan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Jeff wrote:Letterman, meanwhile, was in top form doing the show with Denzel Washington and absolutely no one in the audience. It was like a silly, grouchy Charlie Rose.
I thought so too, it seemed like a return to his early Late Night shows like the anniversary show he did on a plane. Late Show has become pretty routine lately, maybe this will energize him to do more out-of-the-box shows like this or the remote pieces he used to do like the visit to Drake's.

dx23

#104 Post by dx23 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 pm

For a second day in a row, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are showing re-runs. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel taping for the rest of the week and come back for the election coverage.

Matt

#105 Post by Matt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 pm

They had planned to tape new shows today, but travel conditions in NYC (bridges closed, mainly) were such that the writers and crew could not get to the studio in time to prep a show. They should both be back tomorrow.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#106 Post by Drucker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Not that there's much to mock and laugh about at this point!

flyonthewall2983

#107 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones will be interviewed on Letterman Monday. I feel sorry for whoever the musical guest will be lol.

Murdoch

#109 Post by Murdoch » Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Last night's Late Late Show is a shining example of why Ferguson is the only late night talk host I enjoy. An entire episode where he spoke with Stephen Fry about atheism, homophobia and the difficulty of enjoying art created by unsavory artists (i.e. Wagner). I can't believe CBS allowed him to do it, although since he brought on a philosophy professor of moral particularism I shouldn't be too surprised.

dx23

#110 Post by dx23 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:45 am

Was surprised to see the same repeat of the Colbert Report tonight and now found out that Colbert's mom died last week.

knives

#111 Post by knives » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:58 am

I was wondering the same thing and figured his mum must be sick again, but death is very unfortunate. she lived a long time though.

dx23

#112 Post by dx23 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:37 pm

If you get a chance to see Stephen Colbert's return tonight, please do so. If was heartbreaking but beautiful the way he opened the show. Great tribute to his mom.

The Narrator Returns

#113 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 am

Did anyone else see tonight's episode of The Colbert Report? It manages to be better without Daft Punk than it would have likely been with them (and Daft Punk is my favorite groups).

Cold Bishop

#114 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 am

This obviously wasn't as unexpected as presented, but I don't care because OMG BRYAN CRANSTON ROLLER DISCO!

Jeff

#115 Post by Jeff » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 pm

It's been widely tweeted at this point, but this segment on last night's Colbert Report was all kinds of awesome. It looks like it's going to be a typical piece poking fun at backwoods bigots, but turns out to be so much more.

Andre Jurieu

#116 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:17 am

Jeff wrote:It's been widely tweeted at this point, but this segment on last night's Colbert Report was all kinds of awesome. It looks like it's going to be a typical piece poking fun at backwoods bigots, but turns out to be so much more.
I thought it was probably one of the best pre-produced/edited segments Colbert's put together in a little while now, just because it was so unexpected compared to his standard stuff (which is usually funny, but gets slightly repetitive after awhile).

dx23

#117 Post by dx23 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 am

John Oliver is leaving the Daily Show to host a very similar show Sundays on HBO. I think Comedy Central should have done this instead. By this, I mean that Oliver should have done a weekend version of the Daily Show.

flyonthewall2983

#118 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 am

Putting it on Sundays seems weird.

bdsweeney

#119 Post by bdsweeney » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:23 am

dx23 wrote:John Oliver is leaving the Daily Show to host a very similar show Sundays on HBO. I think Comedy Central should have done this instead. By this, I mean that Oliver should have done a weekend version of the Daily Show.
Maybe a TV version of The Bugle?

flyonthewall2983

#120 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:44 am

Letterman's really hammering this Rob Ford thing into the ground it appears.

dx23

#121 Post by dx23 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 am

The goodbye Jon Stewart and the Daily Show gave tonight to John Oliver was incredibly sweet and awesome. It left Oliver and many in my house in tears.

Andre Jurieu

#122 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 pm

dx23 wrote:The goodbye Jon Stewart and the Daily Show gave tonight to John Oliver was incredibly sweet and awesome. It left Oliver and many in my house in tears.
I was wondering how Oliver would be sent off, especially since all industry talk made it appear he was being groomed to succeed Stewart (he still might be), and it was kind of a surprise that he left for HBO. It was a great moment and I was kind of surprised by how emotional Oliver became after the last few clips were shown. It's kind of amazing how long Samantha Bee and Jason Jones have lasted on the show.

bearcuborg

#123 Post by bearcuborg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 am

Jay Leno's farewell was typical Jay, funny enough for a few laughs but bland enough forget soon after. I watched on DVR to skip past Garth Brook's hack performance, but it was nice to see Billy Crystal, who was as sharp as ever. Jay and Billy did mention Johnny Carson a couple times, and that was real reason I watched - a link to television I grew up watching in the 80s.

In my 30's now I find all the late night shows to be Lenoesque, bland and too nice. Plus celebrity guests don't say anything. Worthwhile late night TV was over when Johnny quit, Dave switched to CBS and Costas no longer hosted his Later show. Though my mom would always say Johnny was no Dean Martin/Steve Allen or Kovacs...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#124 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 am

I haven't watched in years, but when I was in college and a little bit after, I thought Craig Ferguson was absolutely hysterical. While Letterman and Kimmel and Conan are a bit funnier than Leno, I agree they are pretty much the same flavor. But Ferguson would do 10 minutes of hand-puppets, yell at the camera, go off on seemingly nonsense rants. I don't know if his show is still as good, but I truly think it's a unique voice in the late night landscape.

Murdoch

#125 Post by Murdoch » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am

I'll add to the Ferguson praise. The show's got a bit tamer since Geoff became a talking animatronic sidekick rather than an inanimate object Craig would talk to like Wilson in Cast Away. Still, his free-flowing interview style I'd put up against any late night host, past or present. He dedicated an entire episode to discussing religion and bigotry with Stephen Fry, show me another late night host willing to do that.