TV on DVD

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Lowry_Sam

Re: TV on DVD

#501 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I have just spent the last month or so working through the 7 disc set of all four of the Duckman seasons
I have too. I was ecstatic to see that this was released on DVD. Now if only the complete The Tick & complete Space Ghost (w/ Christmas specials) series would be released (and perhaps the unexpurgated Beavis & Butthead episodes & Liquid Television), my animated TV series collection could be complete.

colinr0380

#502 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:49 am

Despite agreeing that the season 2 episodes are where the series as a whole is at its strongest, I did enjoy the entire series a lot. Though it is something that I don't think was cancelled before its time, and prefer instead to celebrate that it got to four seasons! I see what reviews mean when they say that a grounded family dynamic structure eventually drops away after the first two seasons, and that the first season is much more overtly satirical with lots of digs at contemporary issues (episodes on evangelical television, big business and so on), while the second is more about the Duckman family dynamics and the detective agency, before a lot of that gets dropped as it all moves towards more broader plots and ones which allow playing with the medium of animation more, as well as homaging things like the musical episode taking off the "Road To..." movies long before Family Guy did it. (Though the Haunted Society Plumbers episode is probably the best of the old style comedy parody episodes, with the "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa1 Plumbers" gag!)

It also has the best series cliffhanger ending ever for a show that then got cancelled! One that would be incredibly frustrating if the show was entirely character-based, but ends up being funny almost as a parody on cliffhanger endings!
SpoilerShow
In keeping with the Four Weddings inspired title every major character gets paired off, then Duckman's dead first wife 'shockingly' turns up and it is revealed that Cornfed knew that she was alive all along! On that dramatic note the entire series ends with a big question mark! Though after he has been marginalised a bit during the last season of the show for more interesting supporting characters, it does emphasise that the show is mostly about Duckman. And that Cornfed, despite being the more 'normal, decent and competent' character, is a bit of a jerk too (very much the Leonard to Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory terms, where the 'normal' person despite being contrasted against a much more abrasive character somehow ends up seeming the more vindictive one!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearcuborg

#503 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 pm
I have just spent the last month or so working through the 7 disc set of all four of the Duckman seasons
I have too. I was ecstatic to see that this was released on DVD. Now if only the complete The Tick & complete Space Ghost (w/ Christmas specials) series would be released (and perhaps the unexpurgated Beavis & Butthead episodes & Liquid Television), my animated TV series collection could be complete.
I think you can find The Tick pretty cheap on Amazon UK. I just watched my dvds a year ago, and they still hold up. Perhaps the best super hero adaptation ever-better than Marvel and The Incredibles.