TV on DVD & Blu-ray

Discuss TV shows old and new.
oldsheperd

#101 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Anchor Bay is going to start releasing Roseanne beginning late summer/early fall. YES!

Anonymous

#102 Post by Anonymous » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:16 am

Tales from the Crypt - 1st Season will be released on July 12 from Warner and HBO home video.
Extras haven't been nailed down, but the two disc set will likely include:
-Introduction by the Cryptkeeper
-Featurette on the history of season one
-Featurette: "Tales from the Crypt" from comic book to television.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Gregory

#103 Post by Gregory » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:08 pm

The advance release of the third season of Kids in the Hall is finally out and can be purchased from http://www.kidsinthehall.com. Those willing to wait can buy it quite a bit cheaper in October when it'll be released for normal distribution.

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#104 Post by dekadetia » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:28 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Anchor Bay is going to start releasing Roseanne beginning late summer/early fall. YES!
Great. Roseanne, as I understand it, has been wanting to package these with features, commentaries, etc. for some time, but Carsey-Werner were reluctant. Perhaps the success of the show's recent syndication blowout has changed their minds (Oxygen, Nick-at-Nite, and UPN, and perhaps others, run Roseanne at least a collective 3-4 hours every weekday now). I have seen the hell out of this show lately, but I'll probably still get the DVDs, as I suspect she'll have a hand in putting together some great supplements, and Nick-at-Nite -- though they otherwise present a respectful and lively tone with respect to 80s-90s syndicates -- encumber their broadcasts with a fully opaque blue bug which is one of the larger I've seen in recent memory. Roseanne is easily one of the best-performed, most uninhibited, singular visions in American sitcoms of the 80s-90s, excepting perhaps the last season or two, which were at least...challenging, I guess. Looking forward.

mogwai

#105 Post by mogwai » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:47 am

No word on extras, yet. But Roseanne is coming in August. Link

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#106 Post by Caligula » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:24 am

On 29 August 2005 The Rockford Files Season 1 gets a Region 2 UK release (as advertised on choicesdirect, play.com & tesco).

Particulars & artwork can be found on the respective sites. Apparently Season 2 gets released on 19 December 2005 (Also UK Region 2).

Jaime_Weinman

#107 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:49 pm

You've probably heard this elsewhere, but all the episodes on the Roseanne DVD are cut syndication versions. (Carsey-Werner is pulling the same insane crap with "The Cosby Show.") What a terrible way to treat a hugely important show.

Steven H

#108 Post by Steven H » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:16 pm

A friend of mine gave me Freaks and Geeks as a gift, and yeah, I highly recommend it. The bionic woman bit is priceless. Everything the counselor says is fantastic.

pauling

#109 Post by pauling » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:29 am

Wow. I may have to pick up Freaks and Geeks as a blind purchase simply based on the feedback from the forum. I've never seen the show but am now very intrigued.
I look forward to, hopefully, seeing TV Funhouse on dvd. It was on Comedy Central but only for one season. Damn shame.

Steven H

#110 Post by Steven H » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:25 pm

pauling wrote:Wow. I may have to pick up Freaks and Geeks as a blind purchase simply based on the feedback from the forum. I've never seen the show but am now very intrigued.
I look forward to, hopefully, seeing TV Funhouse on dvd. It was on Comedy Central but only for one season. Damn shame.
Definitely don't shy away from buying Freaks and Geeks. I was going to buy it last year, but hadn't seen it and backed off, and now, well, that's just another year I could have been watching it. I enjoyed the show so much I bought the Undeclared box set (funny, but not as good). The Judd Apatow world is new to me, but I'm enjoying it. His co-written and directed 40 Year Old Virgin is making money hand over fist right now (and was *very* funny), which might let him do more great stuff.

TV Funhouse would be great on DVD (anything with the Harlem Globetrotters going back in time and playing the baby Jesus in basketball deserves to be available). Also, where's That's My Bush!? Also, Exit 57. Comedy Central needs to get crackin'.

Fletch F. Fletch

#111 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:52 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to the Season 1 box set for Lost. I missed out on a few crucial episodes and stopped watching and now I can watch 'em all without interruptions and in glorious widescreen. Not to mention the list of extras for this set look quite good. Huzzah.

Polybius

#112 Post by Polybius » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:01 am

That's a terrific show. I should add the set to my "Need To Buy" list.

ben d banana

#113 Post by ben d banana » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:08 am

Steven H wrote:TV Funhouse would be great on DVD (anything with the Harlem Globetrotters going back in time and playing the baby Jesus in basketball deserves to be available). Also, where's That's My Bush!?

I saw or read an interview with Robert Smigel saying there was no TV Funhouse DVD in the foreseeable future, which is horrible news because it's hysterical and my VHS dub isn't going to last forever. On the wishful thinking side, that was a year or so ago.

That's My Bush was set to debut in Canada on September 11, 2001 so we didn't get it at all. Bullshit.

Polybius

#114 Post by Polybius » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:32 am

It's more pertinent than ever right this minute.

yumitree

#115 Post by yumitree » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:37 pm

ben d banana wrote:
Steven H wrote:TV Funhouse would be great on DVD (anything with the Harlem Globetrotters going back in time and playing the baby Jesus in basketball deserves to be available). Also, where's That's My Bush!?

I saw or read an interview with Robert Smigel saying there was no TV Funhouse DVD in the foreseeable future, which is horrible news because it's hysterical and my VHS dub isn't going to last forever. On the wishful thinking side, that was a year or so ago.

That's My Bush was set to debut in Canada on September 11, 2001 so we didn't get it at all. Bullshit.
both these shows are pretty easily found in digital form. tv funhouse (and may of the snl funhouse shorts) have been "digitally archived." that's my bush is available on a southpark site named after a handpuppet.
but then again, bootlegs and piracy are bad... or something.

ben d banana

#116 Post by ben d banana » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:19 am

Don't you mean "bootlegs and piracy are bad, okay?"

Polybius

#117 Post by Polybius » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:54 pm

I think the full proper transcription is: "Boys...bootlegs and piracy are bad...mmmkay..."

I've grown to loathe Parker and Stone but Mr. Mackey is timeless.

Jaime_Weinman

#118 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:40 pm

Steven H wrote:Definitely don't shy away from buying Freaks and Geeks. I was going to buy it last year, but hadn't seen it and backed off, and now, well, that's just another year I could have been watching it. I enjoyed the show so much I bought the Undeclared box set (funny, but not as good). The Judd Apatow world is new to me, but I'm enjoying it. His co-written and directed 40 Year Old Virgin is making money hand over fist right now (and was *very* funny), which might let him do more great stuff.
If you're an Apatow-ite, his first beloved cult flop, "The Ben Stiller Show" (which loosed the Stiller stock company -- Janeane Garofalo, Andy Dick, Bob Odenkirk -- upon the world, and was the origin of the team of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross) is also available on DVD.

Now that Apatow's series are available, I hope he finds a way to release some of his unaired pilots. Come to think of it, I'd like to see a collection of great unaired pilots. There's a pilot called "Lookwell," by Conan O'Brien and Robert Smigel and starring Adam West, that is legendary as one of the funniest unsold pilots ever; and the failed TV pilot "Evil Roy Slade" -- written by Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson and starring John Astin -- is a Western spoof that puts "Blazing Saddles" to shame. There's a lot of good work done in pilots that never sell, and there ought to be a way for those things to hit DVD.

Steven H

#119 Post by Steven H » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:04 pm

Jaime_Weinman wrote:If you're an Apatow-ite, his first beloved cult flop, "The Ben Stiller Show" (which loosed the Stiller stock company -- Janeane Garofalo, Andy Dick, Bob Odenkirk -- upon the world, and was the origin of the team of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross) is also available on DVD.
I enjoyed the show, but I always chalked it up to Stiller and Odenkirk (ornery genius that he is.) I know a little better now.
There's a pilot called "Lookwell," by Conan O'Brien and Robert Smigel and starring Adam West, that is legendary as one of the funniest unsold pilots ever
That sounds great. I wonder if it's floating around in bootleg land. Thanks for the info.

yumitree

#120 Post by yumitree » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:46 pm

it is. also, if i remember right, judd mentioned something in passing about his pilots possibly comin gout on dvd in one of the undeclared commentaries. they show them at the other network (along with the unaired original tv funhouse pilot, lookwell, a few odenkirk pilots and other things).

Fletch F. Fletch

#121 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:49 am

Polybius wrote:24 is more of a guilty pleasure (God, I truly despise that term, but it fits it better than anything else.) The first season was a lot of fun, but it's been steadily sinking since then (last year's storyline with it's Foxian racism and sledgehammer pounding of shopworn cliches was a low point that I doubt they can sink under.)
True, things got pretty ridiculous by the third season which barely managed to keep it together. For my money, the second season is still the best one -- man, the first couple episodes are some of the most intense stuff! It was interesting to see where they took Sutherland's character in that season.

ben d banana

#122 Post by ben d banana » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Calling Martha!
The Digital Bits wrote:Universal's coughing up a pair of TV releases on 12/6, one old and one new: The Rockford Files: Season One...
Yes!

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#123 Post by Caligula » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:13 am

The Rockford Files Season 1 is already available in the UK (from 29 August - my copy shipped two days ago) and Season 2 is slated for release in December.

Magnum PI Season 3 is due for release in the UK on November 14 (already available on amazon.co.uk for pre-order).

clutch44

#124 Post by clutch44 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:32 pm

Anyone have any info regarding a future release of the TV series Becker?

oldsheperd

#125 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:48 pm

Seinfeld seasons 5 and 6 are set to be released November 22nd. They will come individually or in a gift set with a script and a mini reproduction of the Pirate Shirt Jerry wore.