Psycho-Pass season 1 (Naoyoshi Shiotani & Katsuyuki Motohiro, 2012-2013)

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Psycho-Pass season 1 (Naoyoshi Shiotani & Katsuyuki Motohiro, 2012-2013)

#51 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:46 pm

Except every single character, including ones who primarily use English as a lingua franca, or must’ve been relying on English for months or years, all talk exactly like someone who doesn’t speak the language bumbling through lines they’ve been handed. It’s pretty clear the voice actors don’t actually know how to speak English. It’s different from, say, Joint Security Area, where the lead is meant to be an ethnic Korean born and raised in Geneva but somehow speaks English with a Korean accent, since the actress can at least speak English. Here you have characters who’ve been speaking English with each other for years who sound like it’s the first time they’ve ever tried using the language. It sounds terrible.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Psycho-Pass season 1 (Naoyoshi Shiotani & Katsuyuki Motohiro, 2012-2013)

#52 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:26 pm

Sounds like another reason to pass on watching (and listening to) this.

Boosmahn

#53 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:13 pm

I'm three episodes into Psycho-Pass 2 and it's pretty much worse than the first season in every way. Not horrible, but mediocre. If I finish before we move to Bakemonogatari, I'll post more detailed thoughts here; if not, I'll put them in the anime thread.

It's going to be difficult for me to judge this accurately because I'm aware of most of the major developments this season. A little over a month ago (not long before this thread was created), I couldn't sleep and watched a two-hour video comparing the first two seasons of Psycho-Pass. In the end, this may be a better watch than the second season itself, because this also analyzes the first season -- and what made it successful!

Mr Sausage

#54 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:08 pm

Boosmahn wrote:I couldn't sleep and watched a two-hour video comparing the first two seasons of Psycho-Pass. In the end, this may be a better watch than the second season itself, because this also analyzes the first season -- and what made it successful!
Oh, perfect! That's exactly what I want: I'm curious enough to know what happens, but not enough to watch another full season.

Boosmahn

#55 Post by Boosmahn » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:53 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:23 pm
Yeah, let us know what else is worth watching. I’d happily watch more, but the dire reputation of season 2 put me off. If the movie doesn’t hang on season 2, I’ll probably check it out. I’m also curious about the later movies, but I have no idea how they fit into the timeline or what I’d need to see first.
So... is it too late to share my thoughts on season two? :lol:

I think part of the reason it's taken me so long is because the feeling I came out of season two with wasn't (and isn't) that strong. It's bad, don't get me wrong, but not entertainingly so.
SpoilerShow
First, to confirm a theory: this season does mostly cannibalize itself so as to not drastically change the world going into the film. Besides introductions to some new side characters, there are really only two things of note.

1. Mika Shimotsuki, the new Inspector we see at the end of season one, learns about the truth behind the Sibyl System and is fine with it (she maniacally applauds it, actually).
2. Akane's grandmother is murdered. Speaking of Akane's grandmother, the scene where Akane learns she has been hurt was one of the "highlights" of the season because of how over-the-top it is. A flaming mansion full of kidnapped, mutilated immigrants (don't ask) sets the backdrop as the dramatic track with opera singing swells to reveal a box with the severed ear of Akane's grandmother. I'm not making any of that up.
In addition, season two has zero idea what "criminally asymptomatic" means and its antagonist has just the beginnings of an interesting idea within him.

I still haven't seen the film, but I'm guessing anyone won't be in the dark about much if they skip season two. And while this is complete speculation, I believe the original creator wouldn't be angry with them skipping it, either.