Riget [The Kingdom]

Discuss TV shows old and new.
jegharfangetmigenmyg

Re: Riget [The Kingdom]

#76 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:38 pm

So, will MUBI ever release the new season (or series) on blu-ray? I've been waiting for this release since the online premiere as I simply refuse to have my first viewing be in the format of low bitrate streaming. Also, it would be amazing to revisit the restored first two seasons, but again, definitely not if the Super 16 is compressed into macro blocked lego vision madness.

therewillbeblus

#77 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:42 pm

I really don't know why they wouldn't. If Criterion is able to release three of LvT's least-marketable films in a box set, it seems silly not to release a cherished, accessible, coveted show on blu-ray

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#78 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:47 pm

Yeah, it's baffling. But it's soon been a full year since the web premiere, and still no news. I can't imagine it's because it's still touring in some territories? IIRC, it only had a very minor theatrical run in addition to Cannes and the web premiere last year.

therewillbeblus

#79 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:57 pm

Mubi have been slowly releasing physical media for pretty popular recent art films, so it's possible that they're counting on something like Decision to Leave or Aftersun to bring in more capital right now (or feel pressure to release some of these films asap, before other boutique labels put out superior editions), prioritizing them if they have the rights - whereas Riget's fanbase isn't going to dwindle the longer they wait. But that's probably just wishful thinking, since I can't imagine a label holding onto new restorations of this series and not immediately dropping it - especially a label that doesn't hold most's ethos on accruing supplements to beef up the package

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:33 pm

jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:38 pm
So, will MUBI ever release the new season (or series) on blu-ray? I've been waiting for this release since the online premiere as I simply refuse to have my first viewing be in the format of low bitrate streaming. Also, it would be amazing to revisit the restored first two seasons, but again, definitely not if the Super 16 is compressed into macro blocked lego vision madness.
This is coming out in March from Mubi in both the US and the UK. The US edition is also 40% off right now on Amazon