Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Andre Jurieu

Re: Netflix Originals

#2 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:17 pm

I just hope Kemper isn't playing an insanely naive character again.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:45 pm

There's nothing I want to see less than a world-weary Ellie Kemper

Andre Jurieu

#4 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

She doesn't have to be world-weary. I just don't want it to be a retread of her characters from The Office and Bridesmaids since I'm getting tired of her characters being so clueless.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

#5 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:50 pm

This is getting a lot of good press and you should believe every positive word uttered about this show. The third episode made me laugh so hard I was in tears for the majority of the half-hour and probably missed a quarter of the jokes in the process. And from what I understand, the show only gets better! Ellie Kemper is indeed still insanely naive here, but also industrious and sweet and clever in her fashion. It's a more complicated role than the premise suggests, and part of the great joy of the show is how uplifting and positive it is while still engaging in some unreal bouts of comic potentialities. The supporting cast is well-seasoned and play to their strengths (Carol Kane as the batty landlord, Jane Krakowski as the narcissistic rich mom, Tituss Burgess as the queening roommate) but this is definitely the Ellie Kemper Show. And I'm okay with that. Kemper has become the instant frontrunner for every award possible for a TV comedy. It's almost like Netflix knew how much season three of House of Cards sucked so they decided to make it up to all the subscribers by quickly gifting us this as an apology. Accepted!

ianungstad

#6 Post by ianungstad » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:06 am

I thought the first two episodes were a little uneven but I am over halfway through the season now and loving it. It does keep getting better. I think the decision to move this from NBC to Netflix was the correct one. It's serial in nature which lends itself to binge watching and it's far too weird to gain more than a cult audience. (It would have probably struggled in the ratings much like Community)

The show also benefits from the longer running times. The initial episodes were cut for 23 minutes; obviously to meet the standard for network television. The advantages of Netflix start to appear halfway in the season when the running time jumps to 27-28 minutes per episode. Those few minutes might not seem like much; but that`s roughly a quarter of the material and would have had to been trimmed for network broadcast.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:56 pm

I finished the series last nite and for me the biggest laugh of all came from the lyrics to the song Titus plays at Kimmy's birthday party (and the subsequent slow jam version too). I think the last couple episodes were a bit of a step down but this is still the most laugh out loud comedy since Happy Endings

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:41 pm

My biggest laugh (also finished the season last night): That 'morning scrod' line. I had to rewind because I was laughing heartily for a minute or two to the point that I nearly woke my wife up. While I think they leaned on the performance/singing everything a bit too often, the Titus character really is something.

Also: Best/most subconscious-invading opening credits sequence since True Blood, at least.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#9 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:58 pm

I have definitely been singing the credits song in the shower ever since I started the show. I guess there's a reason the producers went to the Gregory Brothers to make the real thing rather than trying to fake it poorly like every other show that embarrassingly tries to autotune something and fails to make anything remotely catchy.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:40 pm

thirtyframesasecond

#11 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:59 pm

I saw the first episode, probably won't watch any more. Needs to improve.

pzadvance

#12 Post by pzadvance » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:10 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:Needs to improve.
Well, good thing you aren't giving it the chance to!

willoneill

#13 Post by willoneill » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:55 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:I saw the first episode, probably won't watch any more. Needs to improve.
I'm not going to tell you how to spend your time, so I'll just say to you that I was exactly of the same opinion as you after the first (and second) episodes, but my wife really liked it, so I kept going. From the 3rd episode onwards, I was literally laughing out loud every two minutes, and that is something I rarely do. In fact, like mfunk, I think I probably missed some jokes, and will probably rewatch the series again down the road (hopefully before a second season?).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:08 am

domino harvey wrote:I finished the series last nite and for me the biggest laugh of all came from the lyrics to the song Titus plays at Kimmy's birthday party (and the subsequent slow jam version too).
Unbelievably, this is a real song-- I'm not sure if that ruins the joke or makes it better (SPOILER for the joke in episode nine by clicking, FYI)

oh yeah

#15 Post by oh yeah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:15 am

Titus's "Pinot Noire" song (especially the failed shoot in the chandelier factory due to bats) is one of my favorite things ever. Also loving Carol Kane and Richard Kind in this. Hilarious show.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 am

Richard Kind deserves an Emmy, every single second of his screentime is laugh out loud hilarious and the level of pathetic he's pitched at is phenomenal. I may be biased from working alongside my share of Rubber Room-ready inner city teachers, of course!

Murdoch

#17 Post by Murdoch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I finished the season and it hasn't quite won me over. It shows a lot of promise but the initial concept - transitioning from a cult to society - feels very underused as it's largely abandoned except for a few throwaway gags here and there. On the other hand, Titus's storylines have been almost consistently great and I wish the show'd spend more time with him. The episode where he's treated better as a werewolf than a black man is right up there with the best of 30 Rock. It fell apart for me in the last few episodes but I'll likely come back to it next season since it did get quite a few laugh out loud moments from me and sitcoms rarely do their best right off the bat.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:04 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm

This was nominated for Best Comedy at the Emmys, and Krakowski and Burgess received Supporting noms, but unbelievably Kemper was shut out

Ribs

#21 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:34 pm

It's kind of ridiculous that there was a three-way tie leading to EIGHT nominations for Comedy Supporting Actress (including Niecy Nash, so unexpected that she wasn't even LISTED on Gold Derby as one of the top fifty possibilities) (as well as a regular tie for Lead Drama Actor) but neither of the very very tight Lead Actress categories got the extra wiggle room.

Very happy with the nominations this DID get, of course.

Jeff

#22 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:This was nominated for Best Comedy at the Emmys, and Krakowski and Burgess received Supporting noms, but unbelievably Kemper was shut out
Kemper getting passed over really sucks, and I would have loved to see Carol Kane get a supporting nod too. I'm sure that Martin Short would have been nominated for his guest star spot if not for the unfortunate aftermath.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:40 pm

The Emmy's are totally irrelevant anyway. The Golden Globes' TV portion seems to do a much better job of recognizing the right stuff than the Emmy's do these days.

gorgeousnothings

#24 Post by gorgeousnothings » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:57 pm

I typically view Jane Krakowski's character as a less successful rehash of her character on 30 Rock, but considering she never won an Emmy for that role I am glad to see her get nominated again. Perhaps she can FINALLY get one.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:19 pm

As funny as she is, I have to agree that she's often a weak point just because it's a schtick that'd been done for years. I'm actually sort of surprised she wanted the role, considering.