It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: WWE Network
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 pm 

Seeing him and some of the old faces in that match were nice. Even The Rock's segment had it's moments. But that's indicative of a major problem they have, is that they often lean in too much into nostalgia, often at the peril of younger talent.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:16 am 

Cody Rhodes asked for his release. On top of the other stellar talent that's been let go, and Daniel Bryan retiring I am finding it all the more harder to be motivated to watch the current product. Shawn Michaels did a spot in a match at WrestleMania and looked in good enough shape to be working again, but when asked about it he gave a pretty brutal answer, that they aren't doing what he used to there anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:36 pm 

Would have been a bigger loss a few years ago, but he's worn out now. WWE and NXT have great lower card talent at the moment, so spots being freed up with stale talent leaving can only be a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:24 pm 

David Shoemaker of The Ringer put together "The Story of Vince McMahon", an oral history using quotes from interviews with him over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 am 

They're starting to add WCW Monday Nitro episodes from 2000, inevitably leading up to it's infamous season finale. The last 2 plus years of that company's existence was such a major fail, it would probably be hard for me to watch. It's a little hard as it is for me to watch WCW as it was once they signed Hulk Hogan, because the company shifted from what was the last major vestige of southern wrestling into something that shamelessly tried to ape WWF's success.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:21 am 

I'm still waiting for them to add Thunder, which was both the worst television program I've ever seen and an enormous laugh riot thanks to its incompetent booking and production. WCW was a disaster, but it at least was funny most of the way down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 am 

I'm not. I hope they go back and add more 80's and early 90's stuff (and before), and quit mining that Attitude Era stone for water. It may sound like sour grapes but in the end I still love the Network as a way of reconnecting with my past a bit. I'm still kind of amazed that all this stuff is at my fingertips now. When I was a kid me and my brother made it a habit to rent wrestling tapes until those stores were closed and shuttered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 am 

It's been a long time since I watched any wrestling. But I started off watching it circa 1974-75 as a young kid, sneaking it via a b&w portable television, since it was on something like 11:PM on Saturday nights, past my bedtime. It was Vince McMahon Sr.'s company, shown on Channel 9 in NYC -- I think at that time he was paying to broadcast in order to build an audience and attract customers to buy tickets.

Some of the names I recall from way back then: Bruno Sammartino ("the Living Legend"), Ivan Putski; probably George "The Animal" Steele unless he was a year or two later; The Big Cat Ernie Ladd would pop up now and then. There was a guy Igor (who had an odd beard and wore white nurses shoes for some reason). Mil Mascares, Superstar Billy Graham, "Haystacks" Calhoun, Gorilla Monsoon, Bobo Brazil (some great names there). There was also a Russian or two (Ivan Koloff) and Indians (Chief Wahoo McDaniels, maybe Chief Jay Strongbow was a little later) though for some reason we paid them less attention. The managers -- Capt. Lou Albano, Classy Freddie Blassie, The Grand Wizard -- and their weird stylings and insult-laden ramblings were as entertaining as the wrestlers/wrestling. It was all pretty bizarre and mindblowing when I was 9 or 10 -- outlandish entertainment combined with pseudo-sports.

I thought it all started going downhill when they had the boring Bob Bachland become champ for a few years circa 1978-80. Then in the 80's it all blew up and went mainstream under the younger Vince McMahon -- with Hulkamania and Cyndi Lauper and whatnot. My father has been a fan for decades and still watches the goings-on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:31 pm 

Someone compiled a bunch of house shows from the 70's up to the early 90's on YouTube, most of which aren't on the Network.

Madison Square Garden, Spectrum, and the Boston Garden. If you search the guys that uploaded them, you'll also see cards from other venues around the country and some even in Canada and Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:07 am 

The Network uploaded several rare matches and segments just now, including most notably The Last Battle of Atlanta, a match between Tommy "Wildfire" Rich and "Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer from 1983 that was long believed to be lost to history. Also includes the Terry Funk/Bret Hart match you see a little bit of in Beyond The Mat, matches with the likes of Lou Thesz and Dory Funk, Jr., and an interview segment by Vince McMahon of Muhammad Ali in 1976.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 am 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
The Network uploaded several rare matches and segments just now, including most notably The Last Battle of Atlanta, a match between Tommy "Wildfire" Rich and "Mad Dog" Buzz Sawyer from 1983 that was long believed to be lost to history. Also includes the Terry Funk/Bret Hart match you see a little bit of in Beyond The Mat, matches with the likes of Lou Thesz and Dory Funk, Jr., and an interview segment by Vince McMahon of Muhammad Ali in 1976.

Complete listing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:09 pm 

If you grew up watching 80's and 90's WWF, I highly recommend the new-ish podcast Something to Wrestle With. It features Bruce Prichard, most famous for being the heel televangelist interviewer Brother Love but also worked for the company behind the scenes for several years. He has some fascinating stories and insights into the business and what it was like during some of the company's highest water marks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:25 pm 

Meanwhile, over at TNA, the ship looks about ready to finally sink.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:42 pm 

I'm not keeping up on the modern product but I heard good things about Sunday's Survivor Series. I remember way back when when they would have it on Thanksgiving eve. They started it out on the night of but moved it up a day for some reason. For those 2-3 years it was, it felt a little like Christmas. 4-day weekend starting off with a big PPV.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:38 pm 

I've been consistently rating the NXT Takeovers higher than the main roster events ever since they started, this time was no different, but the men's 5v5 match was top notch and the climax to Lesnar/Goldberg made me leap out of my seat which basically never happens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:18 pm 

In a way, the Goldberg/Lesnar match/ending was exactly what WWE needed to surprise viewers. On the other hand, it shows that Vince doesn't have much faith in his current roster. I thought that the Lesnar monster buildup was to have someone like Reigns, Rollins, Ambrose, Rusev or any of the other younger talent knock him down and get the rub.

Also, how amazing has AJ Styles been! I wonder if Vince feels some regret in not bringing him earlier in his career. Styles run reminds me of RVD and Daniel Bryan, people who Vince didn't truly pushed until he saw the crowds' organic reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:09 pm 

HBO, Bill Simmons and WWE to make a feature-length documentary on Andre The Giant, a long-gestating passion project for Simmons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 pm 

It's WrestleMania weekend, and tonight is their annual Hall of Fame ceremony. Very interesting class of people getting in, including the likes of Kurt Angle, Rick Rude and Diamond Dallas Page. Not really interested in the show itself, possibly apart from Goldberg/Lesnar. I'm weak at the product at best but one time soon I would like to attend the weekend of a WM just for the other stuff going on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 pm 

They've recently been on a tear uploading older footage too. This month they've uploaded the pre-Network (2012-13) episodes of NXT, as well as about fifty early 1980s episodes of Mid-South Wrestling, which is fascinating because you see so many mid-80s WWF and NWA wrestlers before they were stars, from Junkyard Dog to Wendi Richter to Tully Blanchard to early babyface Ted DiBiase.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:22 am 

The Hall of Fame was a fun watch as it usually is, getting to see guys I haven't in a long time go up and talk. WrestleMania was much better than last year's show, but still way too damn long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:48 am 

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
The Hall of Fame was a fun watch as it usually is, getting to see guys I haven't in a long time go up and talk. WrestleMania was much better than last year's show, but still way too damn long.

It kinda fell apart in the second half (Goldberg/Lesnar aside), but still, half a great show is better than nothing. Uploads this month have been interesting, they've been focusing on the 80s C-show Prime Time Wrestling, with such things as Rockin' Robin winning the women's title off Sensational Sherri in a fifteen-minute match from Paris, much Gorilla Monsoon/Bobby Heenan bickering, and lots of extended jobber matches.

Oh, and WWE's July PPV is going to be called Great Balls of Fire, which may be the worst PPV name ever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:13 am 

I seemed to have enjoyed Mania more than most by watching it over three or four sessions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:25 pm 

I enjoy watching a handful of the documentaries they made on guys, in the early-to-mid 2000's. Their approach to them now is a little too stiff for me now (though the one on Randy Savage was nice for the most part). All of them have that infamous glaze of revised official WWE history, but nonetheless enjoyable to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:09 am 

Oral history of WrestleMania III, from the local Detroit and WWF's perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:26 am 

A couple old MSG shows have been uploaded recently. They're all on YouTube in some form or fashion, but I guess WWE is smartening up to this because some channels are being taken down. I watched one from '77, particularly for the match between "Superstar" Billy Graham and Dusty Rhodes. The arena audience at any WWE show now seem completely docile compared to the ones at the Garden, and just in general with regards to the hot territories at the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next