It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: WWE Network
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:14 am 

A Dusty Rhodes tribute special will air Monday night.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:47 pm 

"Be yourself"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:54 pm 

Hulk Hogan was fired today from WWE after transcripts from the sex tape scandal he was involved years ago came to light. In the tape, Hogan allegedly said several racists remarks about the guy his daughter Brooke was dating and apparently used the n-word a lot. Hogan has apologized for the incident, but he's been fired and all reference to him on every WWE related thing has been removed, including his photo and profile on the WWE Hall of Fame webpage.

While I think that what Hogan said was totally inexcusable, I don't think he should have been fired. People are comparing this to the Donald Sterling thing and it's not the same by a longshot. Sterling was a habitual racist, using derogatory comments in private but publicly doing things like not letting his realtors sell to black people or talking to the team's players like they were slaves. Hogan on the other hand said some really shitty and racist things in private, but as far as we know, he's not done this previously at the workplace. It sucks for him that the tape got leaked and he has now to pay for this, but I think WWE overreacted. And if they are going to start firing and distancing from people for using the n-word or making racists, then they need to cut all ties to the name of the Ultimate Warrior, who at a public speaking event at the University of Connetticut told an Arab student to get a towel and said that "queering don't make the world work". They also need to fire Michael Hayes, who several years ago told Mark Henry "I'm more of a n----- that you are.". And Vince needs to fire himself after this gem he said at the 2004 Survivor Series.

Grantland has covered how racist WWF/WWE has been throughout its history. They still are, as proven last week when once again, they paired the Divas in the company based on the race instead of simply putting more thought to the situation (and of course, the black female wrestlers are the heels in the storyline). Still, I don't think Hogan should be treated at the same level Chris Benoit has been treated by the company. It doesn't make any sense to compare these two wrestlers and what has lead to their personas becoming pariahs for the company.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:23 pm 

His apology reads pretty genuine. He's definitely eating the blame it seems. Not sure if I believe that he quit though.

He'll be back someday, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon and his profile will probably be much smaller.

Warrior's dead, and the stuff Michael Hayes supposedly said hasn't been made public other than hearsay. On the other hand a big part of his gimmick was the Confederate flag, so who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:29 pm 

I mean, I'm not going to cry for Hogan, but this is pretty obviously an ass-covering move by the WWE- Hogan crossed the line from implicit racism against accepted groups to recorded outright slurs, so he was disappeared.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:24 am 

And even as an ass-covering move it has failed because that implied racism against minorities has been hand-in-hand with quite a few articles I've seen. Whether or not it will cause any major damage remains to be seen but it's not good when one of the company's most recognizable stars (and perhaps the one person most identified with "their brand of sports entertainment") is caught up in something like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:51 pm 

It seems Hogan is burying himself in a bigger hole thanks to his tweets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:08 pm 

Goodness, I don't even want to know. I wasn't a huge fan growing up (he was pretty washed up by the time I started watching) but I admired what he could do.

It's amazing he doesn't have the kind of PR team that can squelch any of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 pm 

Yeah, he needs someone with some PR skills on his corner. I know that before the divorce and the car accident lawsuit, he had some PR people working for him, but it seems that now he doesn't. He hasn't been doing all that great financially and that's why this deal he had with WWE was so important to him financially. He's really screwed now, cause I don't see him getting any type of paycheck for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am 

Speaking of which, it caused a bit of a tumble for WWE on the stock market.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:33 am 

Was crying with laughter at Hogan being trolled by people sending him pictures of black football players and referring to them "as their brothers".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:49 pm 

Not a good week for the company. First the shooting that took place in their training facility in Florida. And now, Jimmy Snuka is finally being charged with the 1983 murder of his girlfriend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:49 pm 

Since Monday night they have been adding tons of old-school non-WWE 80's and 90's programming. AWA stuff that originally aired on ESPN, Crockett Promotions/NWA TBS programming, Jim Cornette's Smoky Mountain Wrestling, Bill Watts' Mid-South Wrestling, Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling, and The Von Erich-owned World Class promotion (also the later offshoot that was partly based out of Memphis). This Twitter account picks up everything that's been added, and they've gained a lot of followers since this deluge of stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:49 pm 

Stampede got removed. Apparently Bret Hart holds the rights to most, if not all, of that footage. Whoops. (I'm sure they'll license it from him properly soon enough).

The appearance of all the classic stuff is wonderful, and I hope they fill in the gaps and get the complete runs of these promotions up. I dislike the piecemeal upload thing they do, but I guess it's a way to test the waters as it were. I checked out some Smoky Mountain and found it enjoyable (you kind of have to love a wrestling show filmed in a high school gym). The old 6:05pm WCW stuff is fun too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:28 pm 

With the popularity of NWA Classics and the New Japan service, they probably wanted to attract those audiences. I remember hearing Vince say something to the effect of a new goal being attracting old fans to the product. Most of, if not all that was posted up were shows previously on their prior on-demand services I believe. At least the TBS stuff, SMW and AWA. The Mid-South shows might have been sourced from shows they digitized for a DVD release of that promotion a few years ago by WWE.

The Stampede library was one of the few libraries they had that shot on film instead of videotape, and the restoration was quite good I remember hearing. I think a major issue concerning what's not on the Network right now is that there's a lot of footage they have that simply isn't up to modern standards. The more obvious issue is their focus has been more on original and new programming too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:41 pm 

"Not up to modern standards" is a lame excuse. Nobody expects much in the way of A/V quality from decades-old beta tapes, do they?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:16 pm 

They are sitting on tons of footage that hasn't been converted to digital files yet, which would be necessary to put online. There's also the issue of music clearances, which is a real issue for them because a lot of promotions (WWF included) just used music willy-nilly back in the 80's and 90's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm 

The Law Of The Jungle: WWE's New Media Ecosystem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:16 pm 

So WrestleMania weekend is coming up. I've watched little to no of the current product but I plan on watching at least the show on Sunday. I'm only aware of the three big matches, but am interested in seeing how it'll all go down. Vince is already saying on Twitter that they're going to break the attendance record of WrestleMania III (which is rather dubious in and of itself). Stephanie appeared on CBS Sunday Morning with the daughter of Jerry Jones to discuss their partnership in putting the show on in Dallas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:58 am 

The main event could be an all-time bad one. Reigns is going to get absolutely shat on. It's not a great card really. I hope they give Styles and Jericho 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:45 am 

It's mind-boggling how not over he is, but they push him anyway. John Cena had enough of a strong following with the younger fans and others that made me understand why they pushed him, as well as his persona and work ethic. But I'm not seeing a whole lot in Reigns except he's good in the ring and is a good-looking guy. It seems, in comparison to Cena, that even less people like him.

Last edited by flyonthewall2983 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:52 am 

Sunday and Monday will be car crash TV when he's supposed to be getting over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:47 am 

On top of which, the Hall of Fame seems to me like it will reek of death and awkwardness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:20 pm 

WrestleMania was passable at best. Just in terms of athletics I was impressed with the women's match the most. Otherwise it felt like it was treading water.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:19 pm 

dx23 wrote:
Yeah, he needs someone with some PR skills on his corner. I know that before the divorce and the car accident lawsuit, he had some PR people working for him, but it seems that now he doesn't. He hasn't been doing all that great financially and that's why this deal he had with WWE was so important to him financially. He's really screwed now, cause I don't see him getting any type of paycheck for a while.

I guess you didn't see that $115M judgement coming along.

Thought it was pretty cool that they had Shaq take part in their battle royal the other day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next