It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Danish Television Drama
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:12 pm 

Some of the most interesting TV series last year I experienced with 2 Television series from Denmark (although one was Danish-Swedish co-production). The Bridge (aka Bron, aka Broen) (2011) and Borgen (aka The Fortress) (2010) although I've seen only the first season of Borgen. Both TV series were released by Arrow in UK on DVD and blu-ray. Borgen is available in US on LinkTV which is not broadcast widely. FX is already planning US remake of The Bridge, directed by Gerardo Naranjo and set on American-Mexican border.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm 

Borgen Series 2 is currently being broadcast by BBC4 in the UK, in weekly double bills; we had episodes 5 & 6 last Saturday. As a cost saving and convenience measure, I usually dub these foreign series to DVD-R, then watch in a couple of sittings when I run out of "shop-bought" DVDs/BDs. I'm hoping to get round to The Killing III (Forbrydelsen III) in the next few weeks, by which time Borgen Series 2 will have finished, of course. However, it may have to take its turn after Lilyhammer S1, Homeland S2, and the last 10 episodes of Inspector Montalbano.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm 

Don't forget Those Who Kill as well. It is a little less known because it played on ITV3 rather than on BBC4 in the UK, but it is also out on DVD. Strangely enough it also has an American remake in the works, with imdb already listing a Joe Carnahan directed pilot episode starring Chloƫ Sevigny.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:46 pm 

colinr0380 wrote:
Don't forget Those Who Kill as well. It is a little less known because it played on ITV3 rather than on BBC4 in the UK...
I agree - well worth watching. I have it on off-air DVD-Rs, but there's no realistic prospect of being able to revisit it any time soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am 

The first series of Broen/Bron and Forbrydelsen are the dog's bollocks. Some of the best TV you could ever hope to see. I've just started on the first series of Borgen and that looks like it's going to be another class affair. I didn't think the second series of Forbrydelsen was anywhere as near as good as the first though. Decent but not anything special. I'll go back for the third after Borgen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:46 am 
Carthago delenda est

TMDaines wrote:
The first series of Broen/Bron and Forbrydelsen are the dog's bollocks. Some of the best TV you could ever hope to see. I've just started on the first series of Borgen and that looks like it's going to be another class affair. I didn't think the second series of Forbrydelsen was anywhere as near as good as the first though. Decent but not anything special. I'll go back for the third after Borgen.

A bit late to respond, but my two cents worth:

My wife & yours truly loved Forbrydelsen (also thought the second season took a bit of a dip after season 1, but then they really went out with a bang with season 3), and Borgen is great viewing as well (more episodic than Forbrydelsen, but great ensemble of actors).

Season 3 of Broen has now appeared for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk, either on its own, or in a set with the other seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:58 am 

TMDaines wrote:

If you like those, you must seek out The Eagle and Unit One. The Eagle is a monumental achievment, in the same way as the first season of The Killing.

A tip: Don't binge-watch. Savour the mystery. It is delicious entertainment, and high art.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:00 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm gonna need some more Danish shows before long.

Caligula wrote:
A bit late to respond, but my two cents worth:

My wife & yours truly loved Forbrydelsen (also thought the second season took a bit of a dip after season 1, but then they really went out with a bang with season 3), and Borgen is great viewing as well (more episodic than Forbrydelsen, but great ensemble of actors).

Yes, Season 3 of Forbrydelsen turned out to be great as well. I would have voted for I & III of them in the lists projects, but now IMDb lists them as a TV show of multiple seasons, as opposed to a number of mini-series, as it does for Prime Suspect for instance. Speaking of that, due to the lack of any further Sarah Lund, I've started watching the old Prime Suspects to fill the void. Those have also been fantastic.

You're right in that Borgen is much more episodic. Far more of a TV show as opposed to self-contained mini-series. I still thought it was pretty great on the whole.

Caligula wrote:
Season 3 of Broen has now appeared for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk, either on its own, or in a set with the other seasons.

I'm presuming the BBC will broadcast Broen/Bron before Christmas. I've heard about a big change for that one and am intrigued to see how it will play out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:42 pm 

Veering from the crime genre, I also enjoyed "The Legacy" and "1864". The "Keeper of Lost Causes" film series are also supposed to be good, but I have not seen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:40 am 

Zot! wrote:
Veering from the crime genre, I also enjoyed "The Legacy" and "1864". The "Keeper of Lost Causes" film series are also supposed to be good, but I have not seen.

We caught the first at the cinema and both of us really enjoyed it. The second one seems to be taking its time in being released over here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:20 am 
Carthago delenda est

TMDaines wrote:
I'm presuming the BBC will broadcast Broen/Bron before Christmas. I've heard about a big change for that one and am intrigued to see how it will play out.

According to Broen's Facebook page BBC4 will start broadcasting on 21 November at 9pm. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:54 am 

The first two episodes of Bron ||| Broen were fantastic. The show hasn't missed a beat with the big change and is lining up another enthralling thriller that gets your mind racing. Two episodes a week is not enough!

It's funny but the perception of Danish TV in Britain is that the last half-a-dozen years have been a real golden period. Looking at the International Emmys would give you an entirely different perception, however. DR picked up three awards in four years at the turn of the millennium for Best Drama and have only picked up one since, with Forbrydelsen failing to win, and Borgen and Bron/Broen not even being nominated. It goes to show the real depth there and must surely make DR one of the leading TV producers in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:10 am 
Carthago delenda est

Season 4 of The Bridge is coming.

In the meantime, for those who enjoy their Nordic Noir, I recommend the Icelandic series Trapped, out on Arrow's Nordic Noir in DVD & Blu. Great viewing for a cold winter's eve with a murder investigation in a remote Iceland village cut off from the outside world by a snowstorm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:01 am 

Great news. An absolutely fantastic series with one of the best crime leads there surely ever has been.