TV of 2013

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Murdoch

Re: TV of 2013

#51 Post by Murdoch » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I am loving The Originals right now. It helps that I was already a fan of The Vampire Diaries beforehand, but this show removes the rather tired love triangle angle and focuses on a power-play between the resident big bad of New Orleans and the original vampire family from the previously mentioned series. The spinoff keeps the original's momentum but trades in the leads' pouting and brooding for backstabbing and Machiavellian antics, and it's become my must-watch series of the new season.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Almost Human

#52 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Anyone else enjoy this. I enjoy the acting (especially of the 2 leads). The stories are decent, the dialog is generally pretty decent. The look of the near future city is decent (if not always consistent). The story telling pace is sort of abrupt -- maybe if the episodes lasted an hour (instead of whatever they now last) these would "flow" better.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:42 am

While home for the holidays I watched the Millers with my family and, uh, what? The frustrating thing is that the cast is insanely talented and likable and yet everyone is completely asleep (I legit think Beau Bridges was nudged awake before shooting some of his scenes in the episode I saw) except for Eliza Coupe, who even dialed down to half-speed is still the funniest thing here by a country mile. Also there's one actually funny writer on staff somewhere in the mix pitching good lines, because every so often there'd be an actually amusing line or concept completely at odds with the rest of the jokes getting thrown out (and sure enough, the couple times I did laugh were at the same jokes my family, the core audience, sat stone-faced through!)

wattsup32

#54 Post by wattsup32 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:06 am

I got curious about this based on the cast and watched the first 6 or so episodes. It is not good. Almost every joke is the most obvious joke in the situation, the set ups for very easy jokes are incredibly elaborate without being cleverly so, and the writers don't understand the difference between a callback and simply repeating a joke. Yikes.

colinr0380

#56 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:34 pm

On behalf of the people of Britain I feel as if I have to apologise for the concept of What Not To Wear being sent across to the US.

Did anyone else burst out laughing at the clips from The Borgias closely followed by Spartacus? I haven't seen those shows, but I presume the clips were representative of the content of their shows!