Boy Meets World

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Mr Sausage

Re: Boy Meets World

#51 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Where we last left everyone, just to refresh your memory:
In the series finale, Cory, Topanga, Shawn and Eric all head to New York, where Topanga was offered a dream internship at a law firm.
During the college years, the focus for Cory and Topanga was on:

- Topanga wanting to preserve their virginity until marriage
- Cory and Topanga deciding whether or not to get married because of Topanga's parents' divorce
- Topanga working extremely hard to achieve her goal of becoming a lawyer, sometimes to the detriment of their relationship
- Cory and Topanga finally getting married and moving into an apartment, then, as mentioned, heading to New York

Can't recall any mentions of pudding.
I assume she was quickly disabused of her idealism by the crushing drudgery of actual law work, left the profession, and started her own business.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#52 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Drucker wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:Where we last left everyone, just to refresh your memory:
In the series finale, Cory, Topanga, Shawn and Eric all head to New York, where Topanga was offered a dream internship at a law firm.
During the college years, the focus for Cory and Topanga was on:

- Topanga wanting to preserve their virginity until marriage
- Cory and Topanga deciding whether or not to get married because of Topanga's parents' divorce
- Topanga working extremely hard to achieve her goal of becoming a lawyer, sometimes to the detriment of their relationship
- Cory and Topanga finally getting married and moving into an apartment, then, as mentioned, heading to New York

Can't recall any mentions of pudding.
I'll never forget the episode where Topanga finally shows Cory her butt in the elevator they got stuck in. Even as a 13-year old, I knew it was weird a couple that was engaged hadn't seen each other's rear ends.
It seemed totally out of the realm of possibility that there wouldn't have been any kind of sexuality between them, when the whole tone of Eric's half of the show had turned into a Tex Avery cartoon, leggy redhead included, by then

dx23

#53 Post by dx23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:05 am

Professor Wagstaff wrote: I quit watching the show by the time they entered college, but wasn't Topanga no longer played as a hippie by that point? I remember one of the charms early in the run of the series was that Cory's love interest was an eccentric, spiritually-based flower power girl instead of the standard girl next door. By the end of high school she seemed like she'd long grown out of that phase.
As the years went by in the late high school years, Topanga's flower girl persona faded away. I remember that Peter Tork of the Monkey's plaeyed Topanga's father in several episodes to make a point about the hippie family, but then in the college years they re-casted the part (and even eliminated the sister named Nebulah) Still, in one of the episodes of the last season, the one where everyone is in the hospital because of the new Matthews' baby addition, one of the plots was that Topanga had changed and left her flower girl persona much to Cory's chagrin.

But a pudding shop?!? What the hell? Couldn't they have made Topanga at least lawyer that also has a pudding shop?

matrixschmatrix

#54 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:26 am

Maybe she made a killing in 10 years of law, and the pudding shop is her retirement

Jean-Luc Garbo

#55 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Just when I needed a laugh: Boy Meets World Illuminati.

sorrysomehow

#56 Post by sorrysomehow » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:52 pm

I've never heard of the existence of a "pudding shop". Wouldn't frozen yogurt be more relevant? I swear there's three of those in every shopping center.

I may or may not have recently purchased all of the seasons of this show, and it holds up a lot better than I was expecting it to. For some reason I remembered this show being a lot preachier, kind of in the same vain as Seventh Heaven was, though it definitely isn't.

There's a handful of episodes that are quite heartwarming and almost as good as The Wonder Years, though I'm only on season 3 and the later seasons are actually the ones I remember the least from my childhood. I don't particularly remember them being as awful as everyone here is making them out to be, but I suppose I shall find out soon enough.

dx23

#57 Post by dx23 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Season 1 was good, the high school seasons were great and the college years things went downhill fast. The problem with the college years is that they made Eric an imbecile (although it shows the reality of a lot of high school pretty boys that can't adjust to the college setting). One of the worst episodes was during the college years when the did their version of The Truman Show.

The high school years were good because they were close to the true high school experience. One of the cool things was that they made Topanga pretty and smart and Corey, the kid with the curly hair and awkward nose be her boyfriend instead of pretty rebel boy Shawn. Almost every other sitcom in the 80's and 90's made the hot girl be dumb or at least not focused on school and the guy with the long, straight hair be the one dating her. The Peter Engel shows like Saved by the Bell, California Dream and Hang Time used that formula while they also made the kid with the curly hair be a nerd/geek who was the jester of the show or the jokes were made at his expense (Screech).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#58 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 pm

dx23

#60 Post by dx23 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Girl Meets World premieres June 27 on the Disney Channel

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#61 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 am

If you want to get caught up before the reunion series, the complete series of Boy Meets World is Amazon's deal of the week at $44

willoneill

#62 Post by willoneill » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:05 pm

The wife and I watched this first episode of Girl Meets World tonight. It was pleasant enough, but couldn't stop itself from hammering home its themes of "meeting the world" over and over again. The show is set in NYC now, yet Minkus' son Farkle (and thus presumably Minkus) is there at the school. Also, a question for those who also watched:
SpoilerShow
Is Feeney dead, and that's his ghost at the end, Rescue Me-style?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#63 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 pm

flyonthewall2983

#64 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Did Ethan Suplee's character return?