The Newsroom

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Andre Jurieu

Re: The Newsroom

#101 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:47 am

Earlier I wrote:... and yet I still kept watching in hopes that the next episode would dramatically improve in quality and perspective.
Well, looks like my persistence finally paid off because last night's season premiere was, in my opinion, actually the strongest material that the show has provided during its entire run. Maggie and Sloane were both displayed to be competent and very little of the show was obsessed with how amazing and honourable our main characters are compared to their competition. In fact, the central characters finally seemed human. Still a little too much preoccupation with how stupid people on the internet are, but I guess you got to let Sorkin-be-Sorkin on some of the elements.

Andre Jurieu

#102 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:52 am

... aaaaand just when I think the show has hit its stride, the most heavy-handed episode of the season has a script purely credited to Sorkin.

Roger Ryan

#103 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:18 am

I was just about to say that THE NEWSROOM had finally reached (in its penultimate episode!) a successful blend of humor and issue-oriented drama that I was hoping for from the beginning, then...
SpoilerShow
...the double-whammy of Skinner's ludicrous death in slow-motion (to the strains of "Oh Shenandoah" no less!) and the completely unnecessary Shyamalan-style reveal that McAvoy's cellmate was actually his dead father.
Oh well, if the show went out too strong I might have felt the need to re-evaluate the first two seasons.