The Twilight Zone

Discuss TV shows old and new.
Cosmic Bus

Re: TV on DVD

#1 Post by Cosmic Bus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:26 am

Extras for the upcoming first season of the Twilight Zone on Blu-ray. Includes all of the features from the DVD set along with:
Extremely rare, never-before-released unofficial Twilight Zone pilot, "The Time Element," written by Rod Serling and hosted by Desi Arnaz - presented in glorious high definition!
19 New Audio Commentaries, featuring The Twilight Zone Companion author Marc Scott Zicree, author and film historian Gary Gerani (Fantastic Television), author and music historian Steven C. Smith (A Heart at Fire's Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann), music historians John Morgan and William T. Stromberg, writer/producer David Simkins (Lois & Clark, Dark Angel), writer Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man), actor William Reynolds and director Ted Post.
Interviews with actors Dana Dillaway, Suzanne Lloyd, Beverly Garland and Ron Masak.
Tales of Tomorrow episode "What You Need."
Vintage audio interview with Director of Photography George T. Clemens.
1977 syndication promos for "A Stop at Willoughby" and "The After Hours."
18 Radio Dramas
34 Isolated Music Scores featuring the legendary Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and others!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:37 am

Jesus Christ

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:30 am

I might have to figure out a way to sell my Season 1 DVD - the only problem is, it's part of the Complete Series box and has that awful packaging.

Roger Ryan

#4 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 pm

These new TWILIGHT ZONE commentaries have to be better than the earlier ones which are among the worst I've ever heard. The one Zicree did was good and I enjoyed Kevin McCarthy's, but almost all the others consisted of "Oh yeah, I remember this episode...say, look at that...well, I met Serling only once; seemed nice...what do you think is going to happen next?...gee, I look young...thanks for listening." Although, to be honest, Mickey Rooney's commentary was hysterical: he insists that no one would bother to watch the TWILIGHT ZONE today, so there's no point in putting out a DVD set! The interviewer tries to assure him that the show is still well-respected and popular, but Rooney will have none of it.

Having THE TIME ELEMENT on the Blu-ray is the real holy grail and I'd like to see the TALES OF TOMORROW episode. I've had my fill of the radio dramas that padded the half-hour originals to a full hour, oftentimes with painfully tedious results (FOUR O'CLOCK was a complete disaster). If I recall correctly, almost all the major scores, i.e. Herrmann, Goldsmith, were already isolated on the original set so maybe they just have more stock music isolated tracks.

aox

#5 Post by aox » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:40 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I might have to figure out a way to sell my Season 1 DVD - the only problem is, it's part of the Complete Series box and has that awful packaging.
I think I will hold out another year or two, sell the whole box, and buy the inevitable 5 Season Blu Box when it is released. I hope they will have all 5 seasons out soon.

The episodes in the SD Box look incredible (I thought), so I am looking forward to seeing what they do with them in HD.

On a side note, I wonder how they will handle the 6 episodes from Season 2 shot on video tape. :-k

knives

#6 Post by knives » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm

They might do a BFI and reserve them for a standard definition disc.

Cosmic Bus

#7 Post by Cosmic Bus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Blu-ray of Twilight Zone season 2 announced for November; the first season's motherload of extras was presumably a one-off.

aox

#8 Post by aox » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Blu-Ray.com on The Twilight Zone season 1

perkizitore

#9 Post by perkizitore » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:37 am

Beaver On Twilight Zone Season One too.

Minkin

#10 Post by Minkin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 am

We don't have a dedicated Twilight Zone thread?

I've been weary to buy the episodes again for a third time- but the caps and extras seem like a must. Perhaps I can wait for the eventual "complete series" release with the extra bluray discs of extras to force everyone to buy it again..

aox

#11 Post by aox » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:56 am

Minkin wrote: I've been weary to buy the episodes again for a third time- but the caps and extras seem like a must. Perhaps I can wait for the eventual "complete series" release with the extra bluray discs of extras to force everyone to buy it again..
This is precisely what I am doing. I have the Complete 28 Disc DVD set, which will be fine for the next year or two as these come out and are eventually consolidated. I am placated for now.

Plus, I can sell the DVD box for probably $50 when the time comes. Win-Win.

perkizitore

#12 Post by perkizitore » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:33 pm

The complete series probably won't be released until 2012 and it will just be a packaged box without any more exclusive content (the First season has exclusive content compared to the DVDs anyway), but it will be cheaper than buying all the individual sets.
Maybe i will hold off buying the invididual seasons, but if i see them at 60% i might buy them.

Minkin

#13 Post by Minkin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm still mad at having to buy the original interlaced $100 sets and never being able to find collections four and five and then find them all going for $13 when trying to sell them. I'll sit and wait.

aox

#14 Post by aox » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 pm

perkizitore wrote:The complete series probably won't be released until 2012 and it will just be a packaged box without any more exclusive content (the First season has exclusive content compared to the DVDs anyway), but it will be cheaper than buying all the individual sets.
I hope I didn't imply differently, but this is all I am expecting as well. Additionally, I wish I wasn't such a completest, b/c I could really live without buying Season 4. There is only about two episodes I continue to rewatch over the years, and neither of them are essential to me.

manicsounds

#15 Post by manicsounds » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 pm

I'm watching Season 4 of the Twilight Zone episode by episode now, and yes, worst of all the seasons. They should never have done these 1 hour length shows....

Roger Ryan

#16 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 am

manicsounds wrote:I'm watching Season 4 of the Twilight Zone episode by episode now, and yes, worst of all the seasons. They should never have done these 1 hour length shows....
Agree, although I like DEATH SHIP and JESS BELLE which are the only ones that hold up to the hour length in my opinion. THE NEW EXHIBIT is a guilty pleasure as well.

Gregory

#17 Post by Gregory » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:26 am

I bought the first three seasons, and, for the price, I regret buying season 3. It has a few essential episodes, of course, but I found that most range from missable to downright atrocious. For one thing, it was a real error in judgment that led a show like Twilight Zone to repeatedly try its hand at being primarily funny/cute or heartwarming.
On the whole, there's precious little going on in most of these episodes.
Last edited by Gregory on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

aox

#18 Post by aox » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 am

I love season 3 and 5. Seasons 1, 2, 3, 5 all have shitty episodes. Out of 156 episodes, only about 50 are excellent to watchable.

As for 4, the only hour episodes out of the 18 I have kept in rotation through my life are Valley of the Shadow and Death Ship. The former would be incredible in my mind if only they showed more of the town's inhabitants.

I sometimes watch In His Image because I dig young Dennis Hopper, but the episode is a failure.

Roger Ryan

#19 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm

aox wrote: I sometimes watch In His Image because I dig young Dennis Hopper, but the episode is a failure.
I think you mean HE'S ALIVE; George Grizzard is the star of IN HIS IMAGE.

aox

#20 Post by aox » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 pm

yeah, that's what I meant.

Thanks

Finch

#21 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 am

Beaver on the second season Blu of Twilight Zone

The videotaped episodes exempted, this looks as good as the first series. I'm going to hold off though for a few weeks to see if any issues are reported with this new set or not. Trying to watch the first set was a major headache!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#22 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 pm

As I find the video quality of the Definitive sets acceptable enough, can anyone comment as to whether the new commentaries/features are worth the pricey upgrade to the Blu-ray seasons of The Twilight Zone?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#23 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 am

I just have heard a lot about the amount of new bonus features, but little about their quality. Apparently the video quality is astounding, even the episodes shot on video were treated with the utmost of care.

aox

#24 Post by aox » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:46 am

Napier wrote:
mfunk9786 wrote:As I find the video quality of the Definitive sets acceptable enough, can anyone comment as to whether the new commentaries/features are worth the pricey upgrade to the Blu-ray seasons of The Twilight Zone?
A lot of these, if I'm not mistaken were shot on video, no?
No, you are mistaken. Only 6 episodes from Season 2 (and that was it for all 5 seasons) were shot in video. There are 65 episodes in Seasons 1 and 2 alone.

These sets are incredible. The restoration impeccable. And they included the original Time Element for the first time.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:33 am

How are the new commentaries?