Louie

Discuss TV shows old and new.
ianthemovie

Re: Louie

#76 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 am

Has anybody bought Season 3 on DVD-R? I was about to order it when I saw the reviews on Amazon, nearly all of which complain about playback problems, cheap packaging, etc. Even worse, all of the profanity appears to have been bleeped. Sounds like Amazon really dropped the ball with this one...

However there is now a second listing up for Season 3, so hopefully this means an improved set is in the works. No release date on that yet, unfortunately. Given that it's listed at a slightly higher price point maybe it will actually be of decent quality.

Perkins Cobb

#77 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Much as I detest streaming in general, I have to concede that if the only physical media option is a potentially problematic DVD-R, that's the point where I'll throw in the towel and watch them via Netflix. Which I did last week with Louie S3, and it looks fine.

Oedipax

#78 Post by Oedipax » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:48 pm

I had the same experience with Season 3. I'm still committed to bluray over streaming whenever possible, but Netflix's 1080p (if your connection can handle the "Super HD" rate) is not bad at all. For more or less all TV shows I think it's plenty - even something like Louie which does give more thought than the average show to having a particular visual sensibility. Amazon, on the other hand, I find looks pretty lousy much of the time, and would be a last resort for me.

It makes no sense to me why they wouldn't also do blurays though - maybe TV on dvd/blu isn't selling the way it used to because of everyone streaming shows now.

Noiradelic

#79 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Since the establishment of Blu Ray, there's been a tradition of only releasing some TV shows on DVD, and dumping them on DVD-R is just a logical middle ground between DVD and not releasing them at all.