It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TV of 2017
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 pm 

Search Party started strong in its second season after a rather uneven first. The mystery surrounding a missing young woman and Alia Shawkat's amateur sleuth didn't find its footing until the first season's finale, with a lot of filler in the earlier episodes involving her friend's work lives and relationships. Once the show focuses on the various players in the central mystery, it shines, and this new season seems solely concerned with the fallout from the ensemble solving the mystery at the end of season one.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Shawkat, having found the missing woman hiding out in Montreal, is confronted by Ron Livingston's private eye and kills him with the help of her two friends. The aftermath is a messy comedy of errors and the humor of the show really shines in these moments.

I know there's a lot of shows out there (far, far too many to keep up with) but I'm glad to have stumbled across this one, mainly because I'm happy to see Shawkat in the lead.

Post subject: Search Party
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:20 pm 

Anyone been watching this? The second season has recently shown in the US but I've caught up with the first series, which was recently shown in the UK (it's from 2015, I think).

Alia Shawkat, from Arrested Development, plays an aimless twenty something New Yorker with a doofus boyfriend and some awful friends. She sees a flyer of a missing girl, whom she recognises as a former roommate at college and she begins to investigate. It then goes into many different and weird scenarios.

Ron Livingston, Rosie Perez, Christine Taylor et al play smaller roles and Michael Showalter's also involved.

Post subject: Re: Search Party
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:13 pm 

I’m watching it. Only the first couple of episodes of season 2 have aired in the US (though maybe you can binge the whole season on the TBS app or something). It’s great and Alia Shawkat is excellent. (She’s always been good, but she’s quirky-looking so I assumed she’d have no second act after Arrested Development. I’m pleased to be proven wrong.)

I tried to get people here interested in the show last season to no apparent avail.

Post subject: Re: Search Party
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:47 pm 

I haven't seen too much, but the little I have seems almost like a comedic Rivette, is that a fair impression?