It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fringe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:54 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I've recently caught up with Abrams' surprisingly thought-provoking and involving Fringe (easy to see why this one has such a fervent little following), so I admit I'm curious about giving Alcatraz a shot, but I've heard nothing but middling to bad things about it

Post subject: Re: TV of 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:37 pm 

I've been meaning to check out Fringe, good to hear the accolades aren't just a vocal minority trying to keep the show alive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Fringe is well worth the time investment, but it's definitely one you have to start from the beginning (and have a little patience with as it finds its footing). But the rewards are fantastic, because while it looks for a while like it's following another X-Files-esque mythology storyline that never resolves itself, the show's actually super-planned out and the payoffs that come starting in the second-half of the second season and carrying over into the entire third season result in simply some of the best, most satisfying television.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm 
Dot Com Dom

In an absolute miracle and proof that someone at Fox loves this show as much as the small cadre of fans, Fringe has been renewed for a fifth and final season, allowing it to wrap up its increasingly complicated storyline as the creators intended. This will be news y'all will care about in a couple years once you put the time and energy into getting into this brilliant show. I couldn't be happier! \:D/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:15 pm 

5 seems to be the magic number of seasons for a show to end perfectly on. Six Feet Under and The Wire ended after 5, and now Breaking Bad is (sorta) ending with their 5th season looming soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 am 

Watched the first two seasons of Fringe last summer and really enjoyed it, especially in the second year when it became more about Walter and his relationship with Peter, really the heart of the show from what I've seen. Hope to catch up soon.

Post subject: Re: Fringe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:55 am 
Dot Com Dom

Four part oral history of Fringe (Spoilers, obv)

Last nite was the series finale and while there were some obvious problems with the fifth season, the ending was exactly right and a perfect note to go out on. Through some sort of miracle this low-rated show was given a chance to explain and utilize the majority of its mythology and end on its own terms. I know some other board members have been swayed over towards giving this show a shot, and at least your time invested (100 episodes exactly) will pay off satisfactorily if you make it this far!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:06 pm 

The ending hit the right emotional pay-offs for me, especially the various character "goodbye" moments, and I think that's what matters more than the logical payoffs, which were problematic at best in the last season. My biggest problem with season five is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
that it never seemed clear why the Observers invaded Earth to destroy humanity.
As well, the one paradox that, try as I might, I can't get over:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
if the boy prevents the Observers from ever existing, then September can't save young Peter from drowning, and thus the whole show never really exists.
I know, I'm knitpicking a bit, but I really think the show should have ended after Season 4.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:45 pm 
Dot Com Dom

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Well, since the fifth season is an extension of the fourth season's timeline, Peter never existed anyways, so it doesn't change the causality of the current timeline if September doesn't rescue Walter and Red Universe Peter. But I thought the idea, born out from the Observer language on Walter's return address, is that the Observers do exist, but evolved to be more like Michael thanks to Walter's intervention. This may even retroactively explain the more human emotions of August and September.

Can you imagine someone who's never seen the show trying to make sense of the above?

Though it provides a lot of explanations and payoffs for the mysterious presence of the Observers through the first four seasons (and a few other running mythology-related aspects), the fifth is ultimately self-contained bonus material for the fans, and seen as an appendix to the series it works within this function.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 pm 

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The reason the observers invaded was because their future was too polluted and they were going to die out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 am 
Dot Com Dom

Fifth season and complete series coming May 7th

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:20 am 

These 22 episodes-per-season hour long shows look so daunting from afar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:38 pm 

Finally got around to this show and it really is a prime example of great sci-fi and a show getting progressively better with each successive season (there are a few hiccups in the transition from season 4 to 5, but I'm willing to forgive them).

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I love when a show gets an idea in its head and sticks to it, and the writers do a magnificent job with the alternate universe storyline by using it as a mainstay of the series. I think what impressed me the most is how the actors are able to subtly differentiate between their "normal" universe selves and alternate universe selves in more ways than just appearance. It was disappointing when the universe became almost nonexistent in the last season, but I think that has more to do with the limited episodes the writers were given to wrap things up.

I was expecting the worst with the Observers after the mystical elements of Lost led to an unsatisfactory conclusion, but Abrams & Co. do a much better job handling these elements here by revealing them not to be some benevolent superbeings but instead a sinister race of fascists (even giving them German names like Mueller!)

I have the series finale to watch tonight, but I don't want it to end!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 pm 

My wife and I have passed the halfway point for season five. While I miss the characters from the first three seasons, I've managed to love where the show has gone as well (although I was really, really put off when the plot for season five was revealed).

Whoever thought that Akiva Goldsman could be so closely associated with a fantastic product.*

*Anyone who tries to defend A Beautiful Mind will receive a gut punch.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:53 pm 

Someone hasn't seen a little movie called Batman Forever