It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Columbia Classics
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am 

Casualties of War (1989)

No release date yet. I'd wager near Veteran's Day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:14 am 

It's already out in some countries. Has the theatrical cut only, and no deleted scenes. But it has the making of and the Michael J Fox interview from the DVD.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:08 am 

"Fright Night" and John Carpenter's "Christine", which were both released by Twilight Time in the US, will get a non-limited edition from Sony international between September and November (depending on countries)

Amazon Japan has confirmed "Fright Night" will have no extras, while "Christine" will have the DVD features: commentary, 3 making of featurettes, and deleted scenes. (No info about trailers though)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:22 pm 

Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Odd that they gave It Happened One Night to Criterion if they were going to release some themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:05 am 

EddieLarkin wrote:
Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Odd that they gave It Happened One Night to Criterion if they were going to release some themselves.

Yeah, this really surprised me. (Unless a mistake by Amazon) I can't believe that CC, TT or TCM turned down Mr Smith Goes to Washington. What does it say for the other 3 Capras that got 4k restorations from SONY. My guess.... I'd be very surprised if SONY released Lost Horizon, Mr Deeds Goes to Town and You Can't Take it With You themselves, and I don't see them not getting released at all, so they will probably still end up with the boutiques.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:02 pm 

I seriously doubt than Criterion or any other company turned down Mr. Smith. It was probably more a case of Sony hanging on to one of their more commercially viable prestige titles. While It Happened One Night is a highly acclaimed classic and Oscar-winning Best Picture, I'm willing to bet Mr. Smith is better known and a bigger seller among the general public.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm 

Yes, but not by a significant margin...It's like giving away River Kwai while holding on to Lawrence. Plausible, but weird.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:46 pm 

I actually think Paramount made an even weirder decision by holding on to Chinatown but licensing Rosemary's Baby. The latter is one of the best known and most popular American horror movies of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:46 am 

A definite head-scratcher. I can see them hanging onto Chinatown because of Nicholson (though it seems more like an uncharacteristic prestige move by Paramount), but as has been underscored in the Blu era, horror sells, and Rosemary's Baby is a household name. But Paramount Home Video has shown they're the king of weird business decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 am 

It looks like more Capra's could be on their way to BD from Sony.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:52 pm 

Sony have completed a new 4K restoration of Only Angels Have Wings and are exhibiting it at LFF next month. Stands to reason we'll see a Blu-ray in the future. Hopefully they've done His Girl Friday as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 pm 

I'd expect a lot of Capra's in the coming couple years. Harvard Archive recently held a retrospective (35mm, despite the new DCPs,) and it was mentioned in the intro before the LOST HORIZON screening that Sony execs remain extremely high on Capra, his legacy, and his legacy within that particular studio; and are completely behind restoring essentially all of his films and getting them out (to home video and rep houses) as widely as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:17 pm 

Details of the Mr Smith Goes to Washington blu ray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:26 pm 
Dot Com Dom

EddieLarkin wrote:
Sony have completed a new 4K restoration of Only Angels Have Wings and are exhibiting it at LFF next month. Stands to reason we'll see a Blu-ray in the future. Hopefully they've done His Girl Friday as well.

Now that's some exciting news! Def one of the greatest of Hawks films

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm 

It's nice to see that Sony has recommitted to getting their classic Hollywood Columbia catalogue out via repertory screenings and blu rays.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:

Looks like the only new extra is the International trailer, which was not on the DVD.
The documentary "American Dream" by Ron Howard, which is also going to be on the Criterion "It Happened One Night" is overlapping, but they are adding the 4 featurettes that were on the DVD of "American Dream", which are not on the Criterion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 pm 

I was really hoping Criterion would release most of the Capra, but notice the bottom banner "Capra Collection", we likely see more Capra via Sony.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:49 am 

Cinephrenic wrote:
I was really hoping Criterion would release most of the Capra, but notice the bottom banner "Capra Collection", we likely see more Capra via Sony.

I was hoping Criterion would release a couple of other Capras as well. The other option speculated was Twilight Time getting a Capra or two. Much prefer Sony releases themselves than Twilight Time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:40 am 

Don't forget, MGM began releasing some films under the "Woody Allen Collection" moniker, then shuffled the rest to TT.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:24 am 

Last night I got a chance to see the 4k resto (DCP) of Mr Smith Goes to Washington at NY's Film Forum. It was beautiful. I didn't notice any issues. The blu ray should look stunning.

Mr Smith Goes to Washington is not my favorite Capra, so will probably not pick up blu. I will get a chance to see You Can't Take It With You on Wednesday. I like this much better and excited to see what it will look like and hope SONY releases this next up as part of their Capra Collection.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm 

My Girl (1991) on 3/17/15. First time in its proper widescreen OAR on video in the US (was 1.33 Full Screen on LD and DVD).

EDIT: Also Troop Beverly Hills (1989) on the same day. Also first time in its proper widescreen OAR on video in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:30 am 

1776 definitive director's cut - 6/2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:06 am 

John Doe wrote:
1776 definitive director's cut - 6/2

That's an odd release, isn't it? I mean, you hand Oliver! over to Twilight Time and release 1776 instead?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:48 pm 

I think the fact that 1776 is a newly supervised cut that has never been available on video before entices the Sony marketing people more than Oliver! being issued on a new format but with nothing "new" about the film to advertise.

Last edited by captveg on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:49 pm 
Dot Com Dom

1776 also has a weird cult following, whereas Oliver! to my knowledge is well-known but not fervently loved in a similar manner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 448 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next