Tom and Jerry Collections

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

Tom and Jerry Collections

#1 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:47 pm

Maybe director-themed boxes will be Warner's new strategy for releasing their classic animated shorts. I'm pleased to see that these shorts are remastered at any rate.

Tom and Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection
[i]TV Shows on DVD[/i] ([url=http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tom-Jerry-Chuck-Jones-Collection/11388]click for cover art[/url]) wrote:On June 23rd (a week after the single-disc title is available), Warner will release Tom and Jerry - The Chuck Jones Collection. This 2-DVD set running 216 minutes will include 34 shorts, remastered for this package. Video will be in the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio, with English audio. In addition to the shorts, listed below, there will be two new Bonus Documentaries titled "Tom and Jerry...and Chuck" and "Chuck Jones: Memories of a Childhood". Cost is just $26.99 SRP.

1. Penthouse Mouse (1963)
2. The Cat Above and The Mouse Below (1964)
3. Is There a Doctor in the Mouse? (1964)
4. Much Ado About Mousing (1964)
5. Snowbody Loves Me (1964)
6. The Unshrinkable Jerry Mouse (1964)
7. Ah, Sweet Mouse-story of Life (1965)
8. Tom-ic Energy (1965)
9. Bad Day at Cat Rock (1965)
10. The Brothers Carry-Mouse Off (1965)
11. Haunted Mouse (1965)
12. I'm Just Wild About Jerry (1965)
13. Of Feline Bondage (1965)
14. The Year of the Mouse (1965)
15. The Cat's Me-ouch (1965)
16. Duel Personality (1966)
17. Jerry, Jerry, Quite Contrary (1966)
18. Jerry-Go-Round (1966)
19. Love Me, Love My Mouse (1966)
20. Puss 'n' Boats (1966)
21. Filet Meow (1966)
22. Matinee Mouse (1966)
23. The A-Tom-inable Snowman (1966)
24. Catty Cornered (1966)
25. Cat and Dupli-cat (1966)
26. O-Solar Meow (1966)
27. Guided Mouse-ille (1966)
28. Rock 'n' Rodent (1967)
29. Cannery Rodent (1967)
30. The Mouse from H.U.N.G.E.R. (1967)
31. Surf-Bored Cat (1967)
32. Shutter Bugged Cat (1967)
33. Advance and Be Mechanized (1967)
34. Purr-Chance to Dream (1967)

Gregory

Re: Tom and Jerry Collections

#2 Post by Gregory » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Sold. It's great to have some good news on the forum these days.
I haven't bought any of the previous Tom and Jerry discs but it will be so nice to have one that acknowledges Jones as an auteur in some way.

HerrSchreck

#3 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:12 pm

I'll choke on my spit laughing if they come out with the Gene Dietch/William L Snyder Tom & Jerry Czech Collection.

Dicky Moe, Landing Stripling, etc... with some of the strangest sound effects in the late vintage/theatrical era.

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Warner is finally giving Tom and Jerry the "Golden Collection" treatment. In Blu-ray, no less. Glad to see that they aren't letting their classic animation department die off completely. Can't wait to see what supplements this thing will hold.

knives

#5 Post by knives » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Let's hope that they're in OAR considering the most recent Looney Tunes debacle.

Zot!

#6 Post by Zot! » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Supposedly unedited...count me cautiously thrilled.

David M.

#7 Post by David M. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Jeff wrote:Warner is finally giving Tom and Jerry the "Golden Collection" treatment. In Blu-ray, no less. Glad to see that they aren't letting their classic animation department die off completely. Can't wait to see what supplements this thing will hold.
WONDERFUL! Tom and Jerry BD - I never thought I'd see that.

If it's unedited and not full of dirt and scratch removal glitches I'll be really happy.

They would never be stupid enough to disfigure the video with 16:9 cropping given that it's billed as "Golden Collection".

Jeff

#8 Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:20 am

From Jerry Beck's Cartoon Brew:
First of all, some basic information about this set: It goes on sale October 25th on both Blu-Ray and standard DVD discs. The DVD will go for $26.99 and will present the cartoons in their original 1.33:1 “full frame” video aspect ratio. The Blu-Ray set will cost $34.99 and will feature the shorts also in the original 1.33:1 aspect ratio, but with video in 1080p high definition. Both will no doubt sell for less on Amazon.

Each set will contain the first 37 Tom & Jerry shorts, in chronologic release order (from Puss Gets The Boot to Professor Tom, for those keeping score at home). There will be audio commentaries and bonus documentaries – but none of these are finalized yet. These sets will contain new, pristine transfers from CRI negative elements. These are not the Turner TV broadcast prints used on previous releases.

Many are asking about Mouse Cleaning. The original nitrate negative has been found on this rare title and it is being restored at great expense. This film is planned for release on T&J Golden Collection volume 2. Don’t even think of asking me about that set yet.

The information leaked about Vol. 1 today was early data made available to solicit sales from the retail trade. It was not intended to be spread publicly. A formal press release about the Tom & Jerry Golden Collection, with updated information, will be released in a few weeks.
Emphasis, enthusiastically, mine.

knives

#9 Post by knives » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:03 pm

I might get this just to reinforce their behavior though I'm not a fan of Tom & Jerry.

Zot!

#10 Post by Zot! » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Not a fan?! It elevates the most elemental premise to high art! I'm curious though, what critique do you have of T&J? This is glorius news, thanks Jeff.

knives

#11 Post by knives » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:24 pm

There's too much repetition between shorts for me to care. There's a strong formula present that not even the Bugs shorts achieved. That said it's been nearly a decade since I've sat down and just watched a whole series of them lately only watching one or two at a time when they're playing on teevee. At the best this could be an excellent opportunity for reevaluation. I'm more concerned about the unreleased Looney Tunes shorts though.

Saturnome

#12 Post by Saturnome » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 pm

While the cartoons are wonderful (with it's very high quality animation) they're indeed very hard to watch together. It's better to watch a few Looney Tunes then one Tom & Jerry, or watch one before a film. They should be a special, occasional treat, because they work best when put in contrast with something else.

Zot!

#13 Post by Zot! » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I would agree, I don't think you gain any insight by doing a marathon. The hypnotic and relentless repetition of gags and Tom's neverending humiliation could lead to madness, but is also what defines the greatness of the enterprise.

Gregor Samsa

#14 Post by Gregor Samsa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 pm

knives wrote:There's too much repetition between shorts for me to care. There's a strong formula present that not even the Bugs shorts achieved. That said it's been nearly a decade since I've sat down and just watched a whole series of them lately only watching one or two at a time when they're playing on teevee. At the best this could be an excellent opportunity for reevaluation. I'm more concerned about the unreleased Looney Tunes shorts though.
According to Jerry on Cartoon Brew:
Yes – for now, no more Looney Tunes Golden Collections. However I am working with Warner Home Video on several (more than one) new Looney Tunes dvd projects that I think collectors and fans will like (can say no more at this time).
It won't take much for these to improve on the recent single-character DVD releases , that's for sure.

Minkin

#15 Post by Minkin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Volume 2 on Bluray has finally been announced.

Unfortunately, it looks like WB is too frightened to release Casanova Cat and Mouse Cleaning (so much for Jerry Beck's descriptions of the series). I guess those shorts were too insensitive for their forced minute long "not showing these offensive cartoons would be to acknowledge they never existed" shaming warning.

Unless WB backtracks on this from all of the hate they have already received, perhaps the cartoons could possibly be included in the yet-to-be-named "fun bonus features."

I do hope this is just a mistake (perhaps bluray.com, which might make sense given the restoration work and a similar case last time- an early PR release without all the info), otherwise we're probably never getting the censored 11 cartoons.

McCrutchy

#16 Post by McCrutchy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:33 am

From earlier today:
WB Classic Animation (Facebook) wrote:Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts.
I guess they're happy not taking my money from now on, either.

Gregory

#17 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 am

This set has 66 negative pre-release reviews at Amazon and one positive one. A lot of people who would buy this set are upset about this. If Warner is paying attention they'll probably either amend the contents of the set or expect to sell considerably fewer of this volume.

captveg

#18 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:59 pm

McCrutchy wrote:From earlier today:
WB Classic Animation (Facebook) wrote:Warner Bros. Home Entertainment carefully monitors all content it plans for release. While undertaking a review of "Tom and Jerry: The Golden Collection Volume 2," the company felt that certain content would be inappropriate for the intended audience and therefore excluded several shorts.
I guess they're happy not taking my money from now on, either.
Yeah, that idiotic reasoning is why I will refuse to purchase this. You can't say that these Golden Collection releases are for the "adult collector" and then turn around and say that the content would be inappropriate for the intended audience.

EddieLarkin

#19 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 am

The Daily Mail takes up the Tom & Jerry cause.

An earlier piece from them here

Jerry Beck's most recent update suggests the set is still planned for a release with the two offending shorts missing, and that the final volume may not be released at all.

AfterTheRain

#20 Post by AfterTheRain » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Tom and Jerry: The Gene Deitch Collection is scheduled for June 2nd, but DVD only.

knives

#21 Post by knives » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:58 pm

At least it's something. Genuinely shocks me it has taken this long.