New York Video Stores

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
criterionsnob

Re: New York Video Stores

#51 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Some promising news from the Kim's Video email Newsletter:
If you haven't heard already, earlier this week we announced that Kim's Video & Music, here on 1st Ave, will be closing its doors this July. Business here has been steady and our Record Store Day last Saturday was easily the best yet with new and old customers flooding the store for 200+ exclusive releases. The point is, and you should be aware, that we are NOT closing because record stores are dying, business is bad, it's not like it used to be and oh terrible world. Not at all. The actual reason for our closing is that the lease is up in July and the rent is being raised to an amount we simply can't work with. It's an unfortunate situation and we really, really appreciate all the positive vibes and eulogizing that has been sent our way this week. We are hopeful that a new Kim's can be erected this summer, (likely at a smaller location), and we are in the process of exploring that possibility.

HerrSchreck

#52 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:20 pm

Regardless who wrote that, that is pure idiosyncratic Kim. Good to see he's still the same annoying twit he always was.

"We are NOT closing because rents are flying up to untenable levels driving every other store to close too, we are closing SPECIFICALLY AND ONLY BECAUSE our lease is up and we can't afford to pay rent as it makes it unprofitable to sell our cozy little items."

Maybe this one last store will checker jump from year to year until they retract down into a newsstand on the corner of 23rd and Eighth.

Perkins Cobb

#53 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

Well, if Kim's stays in business, great -- but remember they pulled the same shit when the big store on St. Marks closed, telling anyone who would listen that they were going to donate the rental library to someplace in NYC, until suddenly they got a better offer and shipped it all to collect dust in Italy.

Somebody mentioned Two Boots above: Last time I was down there they'd basically shoved the DVD rentals (or a tiny remnant of them) into the coat check station of the pizza parlor. Am I remembering that correctly? Is the DVD corner still operational?

Perkins Cobb

#54 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:16 am

Herculean oral history of Kim's Video (now officially in its final days).

Ugarte

#55 Post by Ugarte » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 am

After strolling through what's left of Kim's yesterday I find it hard to believe that they would be able to regroup anywhere soon. Virtually all of their shelves and stock bins are for sale.The most unsalable and least interesting titles in video and music are all that remain. Lots of mediocre Olive Video stock is left, which they were unable to return. Afterwards I walked up to Barnes and Noble on Union Sq. for my weekly browse. The least populated parts of that store are the DVD/CD/BR room and the Nook sales area. They tend to move more blu-ray overstock into their deep discount rack faster than they used to. And with no Criterion sale going on there was no one browsing that area. One wonders how much longer they can afford to cover that real estate.

Perkins Cobb

#56 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:33 pm

After strolling through what's left of Kim's yesterday I find it hard to believe that they would be able to regroup anywhere soon. Virtually all of their shelves and stock bins are for sale.The most unsalable and least interesting titles in video and music are all that remain. Lots of mediocre Olive Video stock is left, which they were unable to return.
Well ... yeah ... because they're closing at the end of the month.

Perkins Cobb

#57 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Still more juicy, uh, Kim-ories? by Nick Pinkerton.

A man stayed-put

#58 Post by A man stayed-put » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 am

I was wondering if any NYC-based members could assist; I'm in New York for a week in the near future (from the UK) and was hoping to stock up on some Criterions and other assorted Region 1/A odds and ends. Outside of B&N, are there any options bricks and mortar-wise left in the city, second-hand or otherwise?

I know Kim's has gone and, after reading through this thread, it sounds like slim pickings but any help would be much appreciated.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#59 Post by Drucker » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 am

There are still lots of cool record stores, but I can't think of a single DVD store worth visiting. I only work here, don't live here, so maybe there's something I'm missing...but it's pretty barren for cool DVD Stores these days.

Morgan Creek

#60 Post by Morgan Creek » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:45 am

B&N Union Square is pretty much the last holdout for a broad selection in NYC; they also usually stock a near-complete selection of Criterions.

A man stayed-put

#61 Post by A man stayed-put » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks very much both. Thought that might be the case but wanted to check I wasn't missing anywhere.

Ugarte

#62 Post by Ugarte » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:06 am

Academy Records on 18th between 5th/6th should be browsed. They have a very large selection of used dvds and BRs. Boxed set DVDs are in a separate section. Non Region 1 stock is behind glass. They also have an interesting, ever-changing section of used books re music, film and pop culture, spread around the packed store on various shelves. Academy also has a very good used and new LP store on 12th St between 1st Ave and Ave A.

A man stayed-put

#63 Post by A man stayed-put » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks Ugarte, that's exactly the kind of place I was looking for.

Perkins Cobb

#64 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Sounds like the end is finally here for Alan's Alley. He's selling off most of the catalog titles for $3-5 each, through the weekend.