Paul Newman (as director) on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Paul Newman (as director) on DVD

#26 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 am

Well, uh, you ain't exactly expectin this to pop up domestic-like, is ya

tojoed

#27 Post by tojoed » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:10 am

domino harvey wrote:Well, uh, you ain't exactly expectin this to pop up domestic-like, is ya
There's no chance obviously. It's no good his moaning about DVD releases if he restricts himself to Region 1.

HistoryProf

#28 Post by HistoryProf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:27 am

No chance? why? and why can't I whine about what is or is not available on the continent I reside? This is the only corner of the internet I know of that considers region free a standard of its members rather than the rarity it is in life. I simply can't afford Region 1...let alone the rest of the world's offerings. someday maybe, but not now. we're on target to be out of debt in two years though via an expedited payment plan, so maybe then. for now, however, It would be financial suicide for me to get a region free player.

zedz

#29 Post by zedz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:08 pm

HistoryProf wrote:No chance? why?
Oh, granddad, R1 DVD releases are so, like, '08. And don't you Americans only want to watch Avatar on your wristwatches or something?

Perkins Cobb

#30 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:05 pm

domino harvey wrote:Watched Optimum's beautiful release of Sometimes a Great Notion tonite and wow, it's a stunner! Probably Newman's most "cinematic" film as director, with some terrific actuality footage of the log-harvesting process and one of the saddest and most horrible on-screen deaths I've ever seen.
Richard Colla directed "a few weeks" of the film before Newman fired him and took over, so maybe that's why some of it feels more "cinematic." And Jaeckel's big scene is an amazing performance.

knives

#31 Post by knives » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:49 am

Gamma Ray is playing right now and I might like it even more than Rachel, Rachel if just because the performances are somehow even stronger. Wallach does all of this amazing subtle little things with her face. The way she has her nose interact with her eyes in some shots is unbelievable. Of course after a day of Woodward I should be used to her, but the way she balances all of these characteristics is like a new height for her acting. I'm reminded a bit of Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, but I think if slightly Woodward gives the better performance. She's insanely unpredictable to the degree it becomes almost impossible to judge her character. God I wish Criterion would just license this from Fox already.

tavernier

#32 Post by tavernier » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:09 am

Sometimes a Great Notion showing at BAM in November:
Brooklyn, NY/Oct 14, 2011—“‘Never give a inch’ was the motto of the Stampers of Oregon and live it they did!” From Friday, November 4 through Thursday, November 10 (one week), BAMcinématek presents a 40th-anniversary run of Paul Newman’s adaptation of Ken Kesey’s acclaimed novel, Sometimes a Great Notion, unspooling in a 35mm ’Scope print from the Universal Pictures archive. One of the great under-recognized American films of the 1970s, Sometimes a Great Notion was a revelation when it screened as part of BAMcinématek’s Newman homage several months after his passing in 2008.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 am

Sometimes a Great Notion coming to Blu-ray in December from Shout!

antnield

#34 Post by antnield » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:08 am

Potemkine have just released The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds onto French DVD.

EddieLarkin

#35 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:15 am

Twilight Time confirmed a Blu-ray release some time ago on their Facebook, IIRC.

Aunt Peg

Re: International Blu-ray discs

#36 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:59 am

When I purchased some films from Amazon France a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a French DVD release of Paul Newman's 1972 film The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds so I included it with my order.

It arrived today and I'm happy so report that the French subtitles are removable and the print is in nice condition. I really can't see Fox releasing this in the U.S. unless a smaller distributor strikes a deal with them to release it instead.

The only extra is a French film critic talking about the film (no English subtitles provided for that though).

Well worthy purchasing if you are a fan of the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#37 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 am

What's the aspect ratio?

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:09 am

1.85:1, according to Amazon (yes, I know...).

Incidentally, bearing in mind the title of this thread, it probably should be stressed that this appears to be a DVD-only release.

Aunt Peg

#39 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Having checked the disc I can confirm that it is 1:85:1.

didi-5

#40 Post by didi-5 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:22 pm

I have an official Czech release DVD of The Glass Menagerie. Good film.

Jobla

#41 Post by Jobla » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks to all for the news about EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS being available in France. Since I've heard nothing from Twilight, I'll go ahead and order the French DVD. Unfortunately for me, Amazon.France won't accept my payment info, even though it is accurate. By the way, Amazon.UK and Amazon.Germany have recently processed orders for me. What is the problem with ordering from Amazon.France?

I think I have a copy of the Czech DVD of THE GLASS MENAGERIE. It's full-frame, and I'm thinking that it was mastered from the same print that yielded the US laserdisc and VHS of the film. I really wish that Criterion or somebody would remaster MENAGERIE for US DVD or Blu-ray.