It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blu-ray, in General
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:01 pm 

That disc was released a year ago and has what looks like screwed up black levels compared to the French release, seen here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:04 pm 

ARRRRRRGH....goddammit Madman, renew your license.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:15 pm 

If I'm correct, Madman also had incorrect black levels, which would mean that Pathé would still be the only one which were able to use properly the new restoration.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:35 pm 

Man, if that's true, then there's no version out there with proper mastering of the restoration AND English subtitles. Really glad I saw the premiere for it at MoMA, but Jesus, I'd like to see it more than once...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm 

It would be great if Criterion upgraded their release of The Leopard when they do their inevitable dual-format release...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:20 pm 

Along with M, Beauty and the Beast, Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Smiles of a Summer Night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34 am 

hearthesilence wrote:
Man, if that's true, then there's no version out there with proper mastering of the restoration AND English subtitles. Really glad I saw the premiere for it at MoMA, but Jesus, I'd like to see it more than once...

I'd like to check this before saying that I'm sure about it, but that's what I recall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:40 am 

Comparing the Criterion and the Italian Blu releases of The Leopard, apart from the obviously more muted colours of the former, it's amazing how much seems to be added (particularly) on the right side of the image: the new 2.55:1 ratio seems to be a huge improvement over the old 2.21:1 framing.

Actually, I'm sure the black levels on the Italian release too bad - the French disc is probably the best, but with no English subs, it rules itself out as best version out there (for me, as an English speaker). Hopefully Criterion does another release of this in the near future; can the BFI still put this out in the UK (although an upgraded Blu of this from them strikes me as unlikely)?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 pm 

It amazes me that The Swimmer gets a beautiful release, packed with extras from Grindhouse Releasing and the major studios struggle to do similar for better known films. It is such a mixed message that this industry keeps sending out about the current and future of this media.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 pm 

Two reasons that jump out to me are:

1- Small labels have far fewer titles to choose from, therefore they have to maximize titles that a major studio with thousands of catalog titles in their holdings would consider way further down on their priority list.

2- No public shareholders or corporate structure to increase overhead (real or perceived) and define what is an acceptable cost/profit scenario for a catalog release.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:34 am 

FrauBlucher wrote:
It amazes me that The Swimmer gets a beautiful release, packed with extras from Grindhouse Releasing and the major studios struggle to do similar for better known films. It is such a mixed message that this industry keeps sending out about the current and future of this media.

The main difference really is that small labels like Grindhouse Releasing generally put care and effort into every one of their releases, and make a point of including (in the case of Grindhouse at least) numerous quality extras.
The major Hollywood studios, for the most part, could hardly care less about the titles they release on physical media when the films in question are more than 5-10 years old.
I tend to think that there were actual 'Golden Days' for DVD as a format because the studios were raking in money, and for no other reason. Once sales began to decline, they lost interest. I'm not sure those in charge of the money have ever had an interest in providing the public with quality releases of any film, for any other reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 am 

There's also the question of trying to get curious people on board.

If you think big movies, it's going to sell anyway, even if it has close to no editorial extra content. Think Gravity, The Avengers, movies like this. They're going to sell well even if the technical presentation is average and there's no extras.

For lesser-known works, extras content becomes an important selling point, a way of saying "if you don't know this movie, that's not all you get : you also get plenty of stuff that will teach you a lot about this movie. It's not only getting a 90 min film, but also 3hr of supplemental content !"

Think also of over-powering the DVD : I have the French DVD of The Swimmer, and while the beautiful HD presentation would be nice enough to double-dip, it's not really enough for me to get it at $25. However, 3hr of extra content ? That makes it a heavy release.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:07 am 

I typically produce one title every six weeks or so for Arrow on a freelance basis, which gives me the luxury of being able to spend time on it (including all-important if non-chargeable thinking time) in a way that wouldn't be the case if I had to churn out one project a week. I don't often have much money to play with, but I do generally have quite a bit of time, and that can make all the difference.

And I agree with Tenia: context is essential. When my current project, Sullivan's Travels, finally hits the shops after a small extras-related delay, you won't only get an HD transfer of one of Preston Sturges' finest films but about three-and-a-half hours of video extras and a 12,000-word booklet that will tell you pretty much everything you could want to know about not just the film but also Sturges and his career as a whole, only stopping short of including entire supporting features. Since no-one has ever released a Sturges film like this in the UK before (the previous DVDs were practically barebones), it's a great opportunity to give his British reputation a massive boost, and I hope I've seized it with both hands.

Same with Arrow's big Walerian Borowczyk project: we're not just packaging up pretty much his entire 1959-75 output but massively contextualising it from multiple angles - interviews with people who worked with him, extensive critical analysis, historical contextualisation, Borowczyk's work in other media, you name it. It's a complete labour of love, and I really hope it'll show.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 am 

captveg wrote:
Two reasons that jump out to me are:
2- No public shareholders or corporate structure to increase overhead (real or perceived) and define what is an acceptable cost/profit scenario for a catalog release.

I totally agree with this. The big companies have so many chef's in the kitchen that are not even chefs.

tenia wrote:

Even so, how many units would actually sell based on curiosity? How many units of The Swimmer do you think Grindhouse Releasing thinks they will sell, 1500 maybe 2000? You mean WB can't quadruple that with, let's just say, a Key Largo or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, neither have been upgraded. Or Sony with all the Capra films they have. Clearly the studios have the time and resourses to upgrade many more films than they've been doing. To me it seems WB selects color films over the black & white films from their old hollywood catalogue. Which tells me that WB thinks that many folks will not buy b&w movies on blu ray. And that may be true with the other studios as well. BTW...I think the studios marketing of blu ray has been awful....

MichaelB wrote:
I typically produce one title every six weeks or so for Arrow on a freelance basis, which gives me the luxury of being able to spend time on it (including all-important if non-chargeable thinking time) in a way that wouldn't be the case if I had to churn out one project a week. I don't often have much money to play with, but I do generally have quite a bit of time, and that can make all the difference.

And I agree with Tenia: context is essential. When my current project, Sullivan's Travels, finally hits the shops after a small extras-related delay, you won't only get an HD transfer of one of Preston Sturges' finest films but about three-and-a-half hours of video extras and a 12,000-word booklet that will tell you pretty much everything you could want to know about not just the film but also Sturges and his career as a whole, only stopping short of including entire supporting features. Since no-one has ever released a Sturges film like this in the UK before (the previous DVDs were practically barebones), it's a great opportunity to give his British reputation a massive boost, and I hope I've seized it with both hands.

Same with Arrow's big Walerian Borowczyk project: we're not just packaging up pretty much his entire 1959-75 output but massively contextualising it from multiple angles - interviews with people who worked with him, extensive critical analysis, historical contextualisation, Borowczyk's work in other media, you name it. It's a complete labour of love, and I really hope it'll show.

I am extremely grateful that these small labels on each side of the pond do marvelous work at keeping the serious cinema buff in the game.

Thanks for your time, love and commitment MichaelB.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 am 

FrauBlucher wrote:
I am extremely grateful that these small labels on each side of the pond do marvelous work at keeping the serious cinema buff in the game.

Thanks for your time, love and commitment MichaelB.

I'd definitley like to second this.
Michael, in case you thought otherwise, the "they" of my previous post was most definitely referring to the Hollywood majors, and in no way was intended to lump labels like Arrow, Grindhouse Releasing or Synapse Films in with them.
You all put an amazing amount of effort and love into your releases, and I hope all of you can last as long as possible.

That said there are a number of producers who work consistently for the big studios and do some great work also. I'm sure there'd be more of it if the studios didn't seem bent on getting out of the physical media business altogether.

Last edited by Adam Grikepelis on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am 

It never for one millisecond occurred to me that you were talking about anyone other than the majors.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:
tenia wrote:

Even so, how many units would actually sell based on curiosity? How many units of The Swimmer do you think Grindhouse Releasing thinks they will sell, 1500 maybe 2000? You mean WB can't quadruple that with, let's just say, a Key Largo or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, neither have been upgraded. Or Sony with all the Capra films they have. Clearly the studios have the time and resourses to upgrade many more films than they've been doing. To me it seems WB selects color films over the black & white films from their old hollywood catalogue. Which tells me that WB thinks that many folks will not buy b&w movies on blu ray. And that may be true with the other studios as well. BTW...I think the studios marketing of blu ray has been awful....

Truly, studios marketing is awful. But it's also a different scale : they'd like to sell you the cheapest thing ever at the highest price. Think about : extras only available on 3D release, extras spread through retailers exclusivity, close to no extras at all, or very old extras in 576i without any subs at all (even on French / european releases), bad technical presentations leading to recalls, etc etc.

Where does it happen the most, if not in big studios ?

But on the other end, I'm sure a 5th BD of A Clockwork Orange would sell better, even if close to bare-bones, than the very good Grindhouse release of The Swimmer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 pm 

MichaelB wrote:
It's definitely happening, and it's the same transfer as the BFI disc - but I don't know about extras.

I put them in touch with a BFI contact with regard to the five shorts on the BFI disc, and also recommended contacting Švankmajer's company Athanor on the off-chance that HD versions of the shorts that didn't exist in 2011 have since been created, but your guess is as good as mine as to what they'll end up including.

(I got the impression that their extras budget was pretty tight.)

First Run's new Blu-ray of Svankmajer's Alice has no extras and only the English dub.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 pm 

...and the BFI Blu-ray is region-free.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:06 pm 

Dolby Atmos for bluray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:04 pm 

So a capable receiver, plus more speakers including overhead speaker installation, necessary...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 am 

I love that the Dolby representative is promising the full, high overhead surround sound will be available on mobile devices! The last time I checked, the iPhone couldn't quite replicate the full-range theatrical mono of THE JAZZ SINGER.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 pm 

What is a SD Blu Ray?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:17 am 

Zot! wrote:
What is a SD Blu Ray?

It's a Blu Ray where the PQ is obviously limited because the source used is terrible / in SD. However, the sound is usually good and in lossless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 am 

They're generally compressed less than DVDs, so there's some small PQ benefit, but yeah, the main draw is the sound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107  Next