It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Jacques Demy on DVD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:09 pm
Does anyone know what's up with Bay of Angels? If I'm not mistaken, the DVD is out of print and I'm desparate looking for it. Help?


Last edited by Michael on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
It was one of the titles that went cheap when it went OOP, along the same time as the Wellspring Fassbinders. It was down to ~$6 then and now, I shudder to think how expensive eBay sellers are hawking it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:09 pm
Thanks domino. I must have missed it when it went cheap. Wanting to fill in my Demy collection with Angels. I can live without Angels as long as I have Lola.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:56 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
Michael wrote:
Thanks domino. I must have missed it when it went cheap. Wanting to fill in my Demy collection with Angels. I can live without Angels as long as I have Lola.

Which is also OOP, so it's a good thing you snatched it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:24 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:09 pm
Amazon and BN have Lola in stock right now so for those of you who are skeptical of Lola, don't be. As much as I love almost every Demy film, Lola is the only Demy film that lingers with me for years - beautiful delicate cinematography that burns my mind like a memory of love lost long ago.

Does anyone have an opinion of Varda's documentary The World of Jacques Demy?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:29 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
Oh wow, it came back in print, it was definitely OOP last year! I agree that it's an amazing movie, probably my (close) second-favorite Demy behind Les Demoiselles de Rochefort


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:54 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:46 pm
Michael wrote:
Does anyone have an opinion of Varda's documentary The World of Jacques Demy?

It's been a few years, but I think it's a lovely film. It's best to see it alongside Varda's other Demy docs: Jacquot de Nantes and Les Demoiselles ont eu 25 ans. They're all lyrical meditations on Demy's work, but L'Univers is the most clearly nostalgic, in my opinion. It's lovely seeing everyone so long after the films came out, and it really seems like a gathering of friends after many years. I need to rewatch L'Univers before I say more and start sounding like an idiot (or even more like one, as the case may be).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 am
Michael wrote:
Amazon and BN have Lola in stock right now so for those of you who are skeptical of Lola, don't be. As much as I love almost every Demy film, Lola is the only Demy film that lingers with me for years - beautiful delicate cinematography that burns my mind like a memory of love lost long ago.

I think I prefer Angels to Lola, but I agree with Harvey Domino (hereafter HD) on which of Demy's is best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller
Needless to say there has been no further word on Sony releasing the restored Model Shop.

Anyone?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Connecticut
davidhare wrote:
Needless to say there has been no further word on Sony releasing the restored Model Shop.

Anyone?

A new print will be touring with a Demy retrospective this year... if a DVD comes it will come after that.

Or, add this to the list of HP titles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:09 pm
Quote:
I think I prefer Angels to Lola, but I agree with Harvey Domino (hereafter HD) on which of Demy's is best.

The Young Girls of Rochefort = Demy's best film!? Hmm, I'm going to have to revisit that film. Based on my memory of seeing it a few years ago, I felt it was too long (1/2 hour too long) and slow, dragged in various places of the film. The editing work could use some tightening up. In all, it was a very lovely film - guys with perky butts in white go go boots, girls with big hair, big hats. I remember loving Catharine Deneuve and her sister (can't remember her name) "Asian-shimming" in their "putain" red gowns toward the camera, the viewers - very gorgeous!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:03 pm
justeleblanc wrote:
davidhare wrote:
Needless to say there has been no further word on Sony releasing the restored Model Shop.

A new print will be touring with a Demy retrospective this year... if a DVD comes it will come after that.

Sony has had a restored print for some time I think. I say this only because I just saw it, oh, this past Tuesday. The print is nice, the film, a drag.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 3:59 pm
"Model Shop" is more boring than batshit. Yeah, the print rocks. We need "Parking" or "Une chambre en ville".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:05 pm
Location: Connecticut
Barmy wrote:
"Model Shop" is more boring than batshit. Yeah, the print rocks. We need "Parking" or "Une chambre en ville".

Varda's relationship with Criterion may lead to some Demy....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:47 pm 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:18 am
Location: Sitting End
Barmy wrote:
"Model Shop" is more boring than batshit. Yeah, the print rocks. We need "Parking" or "Une chambre en ville".

Parking is more boring than batshit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:56 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller
I'm hoping you're all wrong about Model Shop - but I havent seen it in over 30 years. I certainly liked Gary Lockwood in it (hubba hubba) but Anouk is - as I recall - a total pain. It's a miracle he ever got such a sympathetic performance out of her in Lola. Cukor came to loathe her during the shoot of Justine. And it shows. "She just never even TRIED" he said.

Peau d'Ane is of some interest, if misguidedly whimsical. At least there's Delphine Seyrig playing a fairy (a real one.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:00 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 3:59 pm
In Model Shop, Anouk is boring and sexless (as, for that matter, is Gary Lockwood). There is zero chemistry. It's also very awkward, in the way that American art films by European directors can be. The film is watchable only for its period charm and some ok outdoor cinematography.

Parking, on the other hand, is a stone classic.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:16 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:03 pm
davidhare wrote:
I'm hoping you're all wrong about Model Shop - but I havent seen it in over 30 years. I certainly liked Gary Lockwood in it (hubba hubba) but Anouk is - as I recall - a total pain. It's a miracle he ever got such a sympathetic performance out of her in Lola. Cukor came to loathe her during the shoot of Justine. And it shows. "She just never even TRIED" he said.

Peau d'Ane is of some interest, if misguidedly whimsical. At least there's Delphine Seyrig playing a fairy (a real one.)

I had remembered what you'd written in the Model Shop DVD thread after I had seen the film and I was a little confused. Lockwood gives his best Bressonian performance, but in a context that doesn't call for it at all; in other words, it became abundantly clear why he was cast in 2001. Here he's just utterly vapid - no facial expressions, no intonation of voice, nothing. He's not only an unsympathetic character, but he's totally uninteresting. Attractive? Maybe. But man...(According to the hardly-reliable IMDB, Demy actually wanted to cast a young Harrison Ford in the lead role, but the studio balked - of course it didn't matter since the film was a flop anyway).

Anouk is great in Lola, but here she's just totally boring. Not only is there zero chemistry with Lockwood, but she delivers a flat out boring performance. Barmy is right, she also delivers about zero sex appeal.

The film itself suffers because of this. Still, its opening tracking shot is lovely, and it picks up briefly during the lovely driving scenes where Lockwood cruises around late 60s Los Angeles (which is why the film receives some prominent placement in Thom Anderson's great essay film Los Angeles Plays Itself) and during his first visit to the Model Shop of the title (if only for the idea of such a place actually existing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:50 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 am
Michael wrote:
Based on my memory of seeing it a few years ago, I felt it was too long (1/2 hour too long) and slow, dragged in various places of the film. The editing work could use some tightening up. In all, it was a very lovely film - guys with perky butts in white go go boots, girls with big hair, big hats. I remember loving Catharine Deneuve and her sister (can't remember her name) "Asian-shimming" in their "putain" red gowns toward the camera, the viewers - very gorgeous!

You neglect to mention its best feature, Michel Legrand's songs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:55 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:16 am
I've uploaded som screenshots from Optimum's Peau d'âne (available in the Deneuve Collection) in the Screen Capture thread.
It is beautiful, anamorphic, but with burnt-in subs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:09 pm
Quote:
You neglect to mention its best feature, Michel Legrand's songs.

I'm embarrassed to say I can't single out any one of the songs. They escaped my mind but Deneuve and her "sister" remain since I saw it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:35 pm 

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 am
Michael wrote:
Quote:
You neglect to mention its best feature, Michel Legrand's songs.

I'm embarrassed to say I can't single out any one of the songs.

Then go to amazon at once and buy the soundtrack CD. You not only get all the material from the movie, there's also a bonus disc that includes instrumental versions, one of which is an amazing rendition of "Chanson de Maxence" by Phil Woods.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:24 pm
Via_Chicago wrote:
(According to the hardly-reliable IMDB, Demy actually wanted to cast a young Harrison Ford in the lead role, but the studio balked - of course it didn't matter since the film was a flop anyway).

This info is apparently correct, as it appears in Varda's L'Univers documentary as well, with Ford on hand to back it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:01 pm
Location: WellyYeller
Locals already know this I imagine but Peau d'Ane released in Oz April and presumably a port of the Optimum/Universal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Jacques Demy on DVD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Cambridge, England
Michael wrote:
Does anyone know what's up with Bay of Angels? If I'm not mistaken, the DVD is out of print and I'm desparate loo
king for it. Help?

I bought "Bay of Angels" in December 2007 from playusa.com. I checked today and they still have it for sale.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection