It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:40 pm 

A surreptitious leak elswhere informs us that Demy's wondeful American picture Model Shop which was recently restored is being prepped for DVD in Region1 by Sony!!

Break out the champagne![/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:13 pm 
Dot Com Dom

oh man that's terrific news! =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:05 pm 

Have you seen this? Is it really that great?

The more bleak Piper is also crying to be seen according to my sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:38 am 

Model Shop and Peau d'Ane are the latest Demy's Ive ever seen. Peau d'Ane is not terribly good, despite the entrancing performance of Delphine Seyrig as a fairy! Model Shop however broke my heart - It played one week here back in 1970 to totally empty houses. And then vanished .I simply adored it, and simultaneously fell in lust with Garry Lockwood. Demy must also be the only director in all of cinema who could make the frozen Anouk Aimee seem human. Model Shop is very much in the mood of the sublime Baie des Anges and Lola. And his first color picture. (EDIT: Punishment belwo for this error!)

Put it this way - I would spring 50 Euro for a good copy from Europe based on memory alone so a restored Sony R1 is a nobrainer.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 14, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:07 am 
Take a chance you stupid ho

davidhare wrote:
Model Shop is very much in the mood of the sublime Baie des Anges and Lola. And his first color picture.

My memory is usually shocking, but considering it's viewed 6-10 times a year, Umbrellas can claim to have a hint of colour here and there! Seriously, Model Shop is THE holy grail. To think the 37 year wait may be finally coming to an end. Serious thought now turns what delicate tipple will work best for the eventful occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:37 am 

Mybad!!!!!!

The cumulative effect of two weeks of painkillers and not insignificant amounts of Scotch (for medicinal purposes) has disabled my ability to distinguish between color and monochrome.

Of Course it's his third color movie!!!!! Another drink Flix.

I think it's pink gin for Model Shop Dev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:14 am 
Take a chance you stupid ho

Pink gin, of course. Next to Donen and Minnelli, has anyone come close to Demy in capturing the essence of that particular hue on screen? Denuvue's ravishing first outfit in Umbrellas - pink coat on pink dress ('careful, it's still full of pins!'') and Castelnuovo's pink shirts, always worn when 'up' in spirits, play on in the memory, as does Gene Kelly's wear in Rochefort. I can only guess and dream that Demy continued on with this in Model Shop with Lockwood and Aimee, and with the 'Model Shops' themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:29 am 
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

This is wonderful news indeed! Never thought I'd see Model Shop on DVD before any of his other ones. Good move, Sony!

BTW, Lady Oscar is available on DVD in Spain, with the english dub. I've been eyeing that one for ages but is it any good? From the scenes on the Varda docu, it looks great at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 am 

Knappen wrote:
Have you seen this? Is it really that great?

The more bleak Piper is also crying to be seen according to my sources.

I'll concur with davidhare and others--Model Shop is wonderful. It's the last film where Demy tried to work out his "rêve balzacien", by which he meant making a bunch of films where characters from one film would reappear in other films. To my mind, some of the attempts in Model Shop to weave together Baie des Anges and Lola are a bit clumsy, but never mind that--the rest of the film is stunning. Lockwood gives a very sweet and beautiful performance. The music couldn't be more different than his earlier (and later) films; it's by the band Spirit, and it's surprisingly apt. The opening tracking shot, with Spirit's music, is a stunner. By the way, the soundtrack has been available for a couple of years or so and is worth checking out.

Lilo also wonders about Lady Oscar. I've got an nth generation VHS copy that someone sent me years ago, and that is barely watchable. Even so, I found it very compelling. It's like a lot of later Demy: and interesting and noble failed experiment. I'm a little surprised that, with all the manga fans out there, this film hasn't been more available, even in bootleg form. I certainly hope that Ciné Tamaris continue with their restoration work, because there's much more Demy that needs to be made available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:50 pm 

I'd love to have Piper on DVD, saw it a couple months ago theatrically and fell in love with it. There's something about fairytales, a dark edge, that rarely gets treatment on film and Demy really got it with Piper. And I love Pleasence, one of my fave performances of his.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:30 am 

A user on IMDB described the film like this:

Quote:
Imagine Lola going to L.A. in the late 1960's and having experiences there that are shot something like the way George Lucas shot "American Graffiti."

Well, I can imagine that in my mind's eye and it looks amazing. But even aside from that comparison, this seems like a wonderful film (and I'm on a Demy kick right now).

I kinda like the tagline...

starring the woman from "A Man and a Woman" and the man from "2001"

"Songs Composed and Performed by Spirit." What is their soundtrack like?

I hope Sony announces the DVD soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 am 

There's a Demy retrospective starting later this week at the BFI/NFT-includes a couple of showings of Model Shop-one of which I am very looking forward to going to as it sounds great !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 am 

DC dwellers can also catch a complete Demy retrospective via the French Embassy/National Gallery of Art sometime in 2008..... or so I'm told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:25 am 

On a Demy-related note, the complete soundtrack for UNE CHAMBRE EN VILLE is being released later this month in a limited edition of 1200 copies by a European label. It's up for order at most of the soundtrack specialty sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:17 pm 

J Wilson wrote:
On a Demy-related note, the complete soundtrack for UNE CHAMBRE EN VILLE is being released later this month in a limited edition of 1200 copies by a European label. It's up for order at most of the soundtrack specialty sites.

How is this later (1982) Demy and its music (composed by Michel Colombier)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:06 am 

filmyfan wrote:
There's a Demy retrospective starting later this week at the BFI/NFT-includes a couple of showings of Model Shop-one of which I am very looking forward to going to as it sounds great !

Note that a couple of films have had to be pulled due to rights complications - Une Chambre en ville and Parking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:47 pm 

Beaver