It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 am 

HerrSchreck wrote:
Do NOT fail to pick up a copy of KISS OF DEATH. It would fall under the ex-post facto appellation "DOCU-NOIR", out of which I would say it is one of the finest examples.

I just saw this for the first time and WOW! It may fall under the category of "docu-noir," but it's one of the finest examples of "domestic melodrama" I've ever seen. The socio-political commentary is just seething beneath the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:49 am 

I couldn't possibly heap enough superlatives on KISS OF DEATH. Definitely one of the gems of a marvellous collection. I just worked a few weeks ago through I WAKE UP SCREAMING (wanna talk cinematography?) and HOUSE OF STRANGERS (seething domestic melodrama in spades)... be interested to see what those August releases do for me. I always dug Richard Basehart-- great sinister undertones to this dude, awesome in HE WALKED BY NIGHT & THE BLACK BOOK, for starters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:08 am 

Vicki was in the latest run of 3.

The story is equal to/a remake of I Wake Up Screaming.

Why this in the Fox-Noir collection? There are so many not-released Noirs.

Last edited by Multi-Region on Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:07 am 

14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot (versus of course the primary Hathaway classics and masterpieces like NIGHTMARE ALLEY, etc). I enjoyed it quite a bit-- I always dug Basehart since seeing him back-to-back in the Mann-Alton masterworks HE WALKED BY NIGHT and THE BLACK BOOK. Very different role for him.

I need feedback actually on HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL (more Basehart). I also need to pick up NO WAY OUT with another well-known blond scumbag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:58 am 

HerrSchreck wrote:
14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot (versus of course the primary Hathaway classics and masterpieces like NIGHTMARE ALLEY, etc). I enjoyed it quite a bit-- I always dug Basehart since seeing him back-to-back in the Mann-Alton masterworks HE WALKED BY NIGHT and THE BLACK BOOK. Very different role for him.

I need feedback actually on HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL (more Basehart). I also need to pick up NO WAY OUT with another well-known blond scumbag.
NO WAY OUT is great: Linda Darnell en Richard Widmark, both with great performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:19 am 

Basehart is brilliant in HE WALKED BY NIGHT, one of my fave noirs. Unfortunately, House on T Hill is a nice emlodrama, but not much of a noir. Indeed, I found the whole concentration camp thing (even though it was too brief/commentary says alot cut) in the beginning. Would be the first Hollywood film to tackle the Holocaust (post-war), even though there may have been references in The Search (have not seen it) with Monty Clift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:31 am 

The scene in HE WALKED BY NIGHT where Basehart removes the bullet from under his armpit in his bathroom using a couple mirrors and a steam-sterilized home kit forceps & needle makes me cringe & wince like I'm being kicked in the nuts, time & time again. I watched it for the umpteenth time about a month ago and I suddenly grew aware of myself as that scene was drawing to a close and realized I was grimacing while gritting my teeth, my gut was clenched, and my hands were clawing the bed while holding my breath. When he actually drops the bloody slug in the little ceramic bowl, that little clink is so disconcerting... unbelieveable-- the power of good acting & suggestive directing; you never even see a wound in the dude's body. Just Baseharts face, sweating, grimacing, his trembling hands, and that awful tremoring breathing of controlled agony. Mann (anonymously, in this film) & Alton at their absolute finest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:02 pm 

HerrSchreck wrote:
14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot

I found this one to be a letdown and the least noir of any of the Fox series titles I've seen yet. The movie is mostly set in the bright daylight on a hotel ledge, for crying out loud. After watching this and Clash by Night, I've decided that I should steer clear of any other "noirs" with Paul Douglas because his acting style just does not fit the genre. I think Fox is misleading their consumers who are blindly watching these "Noir" titles based mostly on Fox's own labels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:33 am 

So, anyone got any more info on 'Boomerang'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:06 pm 

I don't, and its unfortunate that that inside tip I passed on about Fox clearing up the problems with Boomerang's release has (so far) not turned out to be accurate.

Now I wonder when they're going to announce the next (last?) round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:07 pm 

jcelwin wrote:
So, anyone got any more info on 'Boomerang'?

Maybe, for the time being, this helps...NETFLIX :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:03 am 

They're nuts if they think folks are gonna send that sucker back after renting it. At least some folks.

I've never ever ever done the same thing with oop books at the NYPublic Library.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:51 pm 

Has anyone heard what films are going to be released in the next wave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:10 pm 

So no word on a new wave I take it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:23 am 

milk114 wrote:
So no word on a new wave I take it?

No. I've had my ear to the ground for any kind of announcement, but not a peep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:12 pm 

In the latest issue of The Sentinel, Eddie Muller had this to say in response to a query about future Fox film noir releases:

Quote:
I'm not sure why Fox lost its momentum last fall, but another three titles, none of them are Boomerang or The Brasher Doubloon, will be coming soon. From what I've heard, Boomerang is dead in the water. Those who got a copy before the recall have collector's items. Cry of the City will come from Criterion, not Fox. I have no clue why Doubloon has not been released. Should we ask Clive Owen?

The final reference to Clive Owen is probably due to the news that he will be bringing Marlowe back to movie screens in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:56 pm 

wow, Cry of the City from Criterion. I never saw that one coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:52 pm 
Dot Com Dom

did they run out of films or what

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:10 pm 

Foxclassics is listing these as upcoming:

Daisy Kenyon
Dangerous Crossing
Black Widow
Boomerang!

Interesting to see Boomerang! listed. Fox must've cleared up whatever legal issues there were regarding that release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:00 pm 

souvenir wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:
14 HOURS was a worthy addition to this clearly weaker lot

I found this one to be a letdown and the least noir of any of the Fox series titles I've seen yet.

I loved 14 Hours, though I think you're right about Douglas not being "right". Basehart was perfect for this, though, and the film couldn't have had better cinematography (with all the process shots looking fantastic). Hathaway's noirs are all great (and I was impressed with 13 Rue Madeline as well from that same period). The commentarist for this disc, Foster Hirsch, throws in an early jibe towards Wilder's Ace In The Hole, saying that in comparison with 14 Hours it's "smug", and less interesting in its treatment of the media. After that he pretty much describes the action on the screen, and reminds us a few more times that its Grace Kelly's first film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:51 am 

mogwai wrote:
Foxclassics is listing these as upcoming:

Daisy Kenyon
Dangerous Crossing
Black Widow
Boomerang!

The cover art:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:52 am 

I like the look of the new covers but I have to express my feeling that I wish they would have tried to maintain some consistency with their release schedule and the design. It is supposed to be a collection afterall and in some ways they originally looked like the covers of the "pulps" that inspired so many of these films. Still it is nice to see that Fox has not abandoned the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:56 am 

filmnoir1 wrote:
I like the look of the new covers but I have to express my feeling that I wish they would have tried to maintain some consistency with their release schedule and the design. It is supposed to be a collection afterall and in some ways they originally looked like the covers of the "pulps" that inspired so many of these films. Still it is nice to see that Fox has not abandoned the line.

It would be nice, if Fox would continue to release real "Noirs" and no thrillers/crime films.
I like the "older" look (vol. 1-21) too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:59 pm 

I am not trying to sound picky here but when discussing film noirs it is important to remember that when these films were made and released they were referred to as action/crime/thrillers or even better they were known as "red meat" films as Sherri Biesen notes in her book Blackout. These were films designed for male audiences after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

filmnoir1 wrote:
I wish they would have tried to maintain some consistency with their ... design.

The spines look similar to the old range. So when you put them into your DVD shelf they shouldn't look out of place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next