Fox Noir Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
zone_resident

#76 Post by zone_resident » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:30 am

This morning, I picked up a copy of Boomerang! from local Borders store too. This may be due to an inventory error, but I guess we should not complain. :|

Gregory

#77 Post by Gregory » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm

It quickly became, however, that everything included a street-date in Border's own system and it didn't matter what actually came in with the order. The flaw, I believe, in this case is that, upon cancellation, Boomerang was erased from the system as it wasn't to be released at all. Rather than pulling it as Borders will probably do soon (my guess is next Tuesday) it was shelved because there was no longer a computer entry telling employees not to shelf it.
When I called, the Borders worker found it in the system and at first told me it wasn't going to be available until 6/6. I mentioned that I'd read online that people were buying this disc early at Borders stores across the country and I thought I might be able to do the same. She put me on hold for about five minutes and then said they had copies and had sold them already but were expecting to get more in the next few days. I then called another store and they looked it up in the computer, told me they had a copy, and put it on hold for me. I can't figure out what's happening but I'm not sure it's been erased from the system. If they were going to get a recall notice and act on it, I don't know why they wouldn't have already done so.

neal

#78 Post by neal » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:28 pm

I emailed fox directly. Got this useless response. Emailed them back telling them to reread my email and try again.
Fox has no plans to release the title in question at this time. I will forward your request onto our corporate office so they can see what the public would like to see on DVD. You may also contact us in July 2006 for updated new releases. Thank you for contacting us!

Thank you,

Fox Consumer Services

zone_resident

#79 Post by zone_resident » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Apparently, in late March, a member of home-theater forum made the following comment about the "Boomerang!" DVD release:
No mention of the deleted scenes for BOOMERANG, which is a remarkable semi-documentary film based on a true story from the 1920s. It was once announced as forthcoming as one of the original "Studio Classics" vhs releases, but it was abruptly pulled two weeks before (cover art already posted) without reason or replacement. I always wondered if that was the result of pressure from family members or survivors from the actual case.
Interesting that the planned DVD release has been cancelled at the last minute too.

Ashirg

#80 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:04 pm

There're no deleted scenes on DVD, but I found alternative shots in the theatrical trailer. I provided one such shot in my DVD review at DVD Beaver.

filmnoir1

#81 Post by filmnoir1 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:46 pm

I was able to get a copy from the local Borders today. The spine number is #16 and the extras include the trailers for Vicki, I Wake Up Screaming, House of Strangers and the theatrical trailer for Boomerang. There is also the commentary by Silver and Ursini also. I am glad that I was able to get this film on DVD, it is a really important element of the tradition of making semi-documentary noirs at Fox in the 1940s.
For those unable to get the DVD, the film will be shown on the Fox movie channel on June 3 at 12 p.m. and again on June 28 at 1 p.m. Also I have a question to pose. If this batch and the ones in August bring the total number of films released in the collection to 21, are there going to be more than 22 films in the series? Originally I read in Variety that there were only going to be 22. If anyone knows please let me know.

Gregory

#82 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:51 am

I think the plan was 24 titles (see middle of pg.3 of this thread), although I had originally hoped for at least 30 or so. Now that Fox is set to distribute the MGM catalog (including the old United Artists catalog), it would be nice if they extended the series to at least 40 but we'll probably just have to wait and see. They may release film noir titles from this acquisition outside the present series.

Ashirg

#83 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:33 am

They will be only distributing MGM titles, although nobody is stopping MGM to start their own "United Artist Film Noir" series or something similar...

Gregory

#84 Post by Gregory » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:55 am

Yes, perhaps I fooled myself into hoping MGM would make some kind of agreement with Fox and release some of its film noir holdings in the same vein as the Fox series, which has already proven successful. All I'm really hoping is that some of the UA titles see the light of day as rapidly and in similar quality to the Fox series.

jorencain

#85 Post by jorencain » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:23 am

Well, I just looked up Boomerang on several online retailers' sites, and it's completely absent from them. It's still listed on dvdempire, but only as being "on order". I wonder if Borders stores still have a few, but I guess those who were able to snag a copy (including me \:D/) lucked out.

Ashirg

#86 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:34 am

Amazon.ca still lists it although it's in "Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks" status. Amazon.com removed it a few weeks ago.

filmnoir1

#87 Post by filmnoir1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:59 pm

I purchased the DVD of I Wake Up Screaming today. The film is beautifully shot with really interesting use of skewed angles in certain sequences such as Christophe and his friends are drinking in the bar. Also the performances from Betty Grable and Victor Mature are captivating.
There is a deleted scene in which Grable is working as a salesgirl for a sheet music counter in a department store in which she sings a jazzy number entitled Daddy that is quite risque. I can see why this footage did not make into the film, more importantly this example of Fox's noir efforts demonstrates a further critique of the middle and upper classes in America at the time and their fascination with mass culture and popularity.
There also examples of the two different promotional materials for the film, it is interesting that the title the studio wished to use was Hot Spot. This title seems to be filled with sexual innuendos and attacks on American consumerism, this is why I believed the change the title to I Wake Up Screaming.
This is definitely one of the better films of the collection and well worth the 10 dollars I paid for it.

jesus the mexican boi

#88 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Apparently nobody told Netflix not to stock BOOMERANG! as my copy shipped from them today. At least I'll get to see it.

thethirdman

#89 Post by thethirdman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:27 pm

Borders apparently got notice of the recall. Four Borders within a hundred miles of me still show it in stock, but I don't know if they have already pulled them from the shelves. The Borders I bought it at only had one copy last weekend.

Harold Gervais

#90 Post by Harold Gervais » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:16 am

3 copies at my local Borders of Boomerang and I bought them all. One for me and 2 for friends without close access to any Borders stores.

BrightEyes23

#91 Post by BrightEyes23 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:43 am

what borders has everyone hit up? we should make a list of the stores that have been cleaned out!

alandau

#92 Post by alandau » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:46 am

I doubt that Boomerang will ever be re-released.

viciousliar

#93 Post by viciousliar » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:24 am

unless you want to secure it at a ridiculously inflated price off eBay.
Link

alandau

#94 Post by alandau » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:11 am

alandau

#95 Post by alandau » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 am

Guess it is giving Salo a run for it's money. I mean someone paying $204.50---- and this is just the beginnning. What will it be in a year from now, assuming - and most likely to be the case - that Fox loses the rights.

The Digital McGuffin

#96 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:26 am

viciousliar wrote:unless you want to secure it at a ridiculously inflated price off eBay.
Link
Alas, checking their less than perfect feedback, they don't hold stock of the items they sell, and order in from suppliers when they get a purchase. Plenty of complaints of non-delivery. Too risky for my tastes, but after the insanity of that last auction, someone might fancy a roll of the dice.

viciousliar

#97 Post by viciousliar » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 pm

I just got a message from the supplier that my order has been "delayed." You were right on the money on this one - I thought 80% + positive feedback would make it a fairly safe bet. You guys shy away from this seller(there are two, but they appear to be owned by the same party). Grrrrr. :evil:

skuhn8

#98 Post by skuhn8 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 am

what's the deal with amazon.com? They claim to ship Boomerang in 2-3 days.

edit: ordered it and found that they won't ship title until late August. Does this mean that they are of a proper release date after all or is this a limbo status for them?

zone_resident

#99 Post by zone_resident » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:27 am

We can't be sure about it. Here is my experience: I pre-ordered Boomerang from DDD in early May. Its status switched to "backorder" in late May. Then, in mid-June I received an e-mail from DDD saying that the title was being discontinued and the order was cancelled.

Gregory

#100 Post by Gregory » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:56 pm

I have it on very good authority that Fox is saying it expects to have the rights issues cleared up soon so that Boomerang can be released as planned. No guarantees, but there it is, for what it's worth.