It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:15 pm 

They've also included the next three for pre-order as part of the sale. This FOX sale is also going on at DVD Planet, for those like myself who are racking up frequent buyer points there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:22 am 

Langlois68 wrote:
FYI- all the Fox film noirs are on sale at deepdiscountdvd at $9.97- buy 2 get 1 free.

Can you provide a link for this promotion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:29 am 

At DVD Planet, you just addd them to your cart, and it automatically makes the 3rd one free. Sweet. =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:12 pm 

Fox sale at DDD
I think, as with DVD Planet, you can also just add any $9.98 Fox title to your cart and it will automatically count every third item as free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:53 pm 

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:10 pm 

Hey, anything I can do to shill for News Corporation...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:29 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Hey, anything I can do to shill for News Corporation...!

Hey! You trying to make me feel guilty about handing my hard-earned, left-wing bread over to a group of right-wing fascists?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:47 pm 
wax on; wax off

Help! My Nightmare Alley arrived without booklet (I know, I'm anal, but I want the whole package baby!) and I can't find the damn customer service email address. Anyone know how to reach these folks? I went to fox home but just have a million product links, not customer service. Help me obi-wan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 pm 

skuhn8 wrote:
Help! My Nightmare Alley arrived without booklet (I know, I'm anal, but I want the whole package baby!) and I can't find the damn customer service email address. Anyone know how to reach these folks? I went to fox home but just have a million product links, not customer service. Help me obi-wan!

The email is in the booklet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:02 am 

It seems Boomerang was pulled at the last minute and won't be coming out in June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:47 am 

Is there any more information concerning Boomerang being released or not released come 6 June?

It appears that Boomerang most definitely won't be coming out 6 June. It is quite an interesting story as to why. And here is another link to The Blackboard for more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:27 am 

Quote:
It appears that Boomerang most definitely won't be coming out 6 June.

Well, I am one of those people who took advantage of the buy 2, get 1 free deal at DeepDiscountDVD, only to have recently found out that the title now appears as a backorder in my "order status" section.

Oddly enough, I was visiting my local Borders here in Evanston, IL this past week and noticed that they have 3 copies of Boomerang STOCKED on their shelves. I decided not to get it as I already have the film on pre-order from DDD. But after having read the Home Theater Forum's discussion yesterday, I picked up a copy just in case this title gets indefinitely postponed.

If in the next month, Fox decides to place it in merchant distribution again, I'll just return my Borders copy back to the local store. But for now, I'm holding on to this puppy!

Incidentally, there were two copies left at the local Borders if anyone is interested.

Very, very strange that Fox would release this title 2 weeks before the previously announced June 6th date (and only select stores at that), then decide to hold back the title. I wonder if it's a bad press, or perhaps the commentary track contains information that the Kazan estate does not approve of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I just ran to a Borders nearby, and picked up their 2 copies of "Boomerang". It would be nice to have an extra one lying around, in case they become valuable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:42 am 

Wittsdream, thanks a lot! I just went to my local Borders and picked up a copy of Boomerang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:07 pm 

Ashirg wrote:
Wittsdream, thanks a lot! I just went to my local Borders and picked up a copy of Boomerang.

I did too. It's such a strange phenomenon that Borders nationwide would all be breaking street date on this particular title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:30 am 

This morning, I picked up a copy of Boomerang! from local Borders store too. This may be due to an inventory error, but I guess we should not complain. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm 

Quote:
It quickly became, however, that everything included a street-date in Border's own system and it didn't matter what actually came in with the order. The flaw, I believe, in this case is that, upon cancellation, Boomerang was erased from the system as it wasn't to be released at all. Rather than pulling it as Borders will probably do soon (my guess is next Tuesday) it was shelved because there was no longer a computer entry telling employees not to shelf it.

When I called, the Borders worker found it in the system and at first told me it wasn't going to be available until 6/6. I mentioned that I'd read online that people were buying this disc early at Borders stores across the country and I thought I might be able to do the same. She put me on hold for about five minutes and then said they had copies and had sold them already but were expecting to get more in the next few days. I then called another store and they looked it up in the computer, told me they had a copy, and put it on hold for me. I can't figure out what's happening but I'm not sure it's been erased from the system. If they were going to get a recall notice and act on it, I don't know why they wouldn't have already done so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:28 pm 

I emailed fox directly. Got this useless response. Emailed them back telling them to reread my email and try again.

Quote:
Fox has no plans to release the title in question at this time. I will forward your request onto our corporate office so they can see what the public would like to see on DVD. You may also contact us in July 2006 for updated new releases. Thank you for contacting us!

Thank you,

Fox Consumer Services

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:01 pm 

Apparently, in late March, a member of home-theater forum made the following comment about the "Boomerang!" DVD release:

Quote:
No mention of the deleted scenes for BOOMERANG, which is a remarkable semi-documentary film based on a true story from the 1920s. It was once announced as forthcoming as one of the original "Studio Classics" vhs releases, but it was abruptly pulled two weeks before (cover art already posted) without reason or replacement. I always wondered if that was the result of pressure from family members or survivors from the actual case.

Interesting that the planned DVD release has been cancelled at the last minute too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:04 pm 

There're no deleted scenes on DVD, but I found alternative shots in the theatrical trailer. I provided one such shot in my DVD review at DVD Beaver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:46 pm 

I was able to get a copy from the local Borders today. The spine number is #16 and the extras include the trailers for Vicki, I Wake Up Screaming, House of Strangers and the theatrical trailer for Boomerang. There is also the commentary by Silver and Ursini also. I am glad that I was able to get this film on DVD, it is a really important element of the tradition of making semi-documentary noirs at Fox in the 1940s.
For those unable to get the DVD, the film will be shown on the Fox movie channel on June 3 at 12 p.m. and again on June 28 at 1 p.m. Also I have a question to pose. If this batch and the ones in August bring the total number of films released in the collection to 21, are there going to be more than 22 films in the series? Originally I read in Variety that there were only going to be 22. If anyone knows please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:51 am 

I think the plan was 24 titles (see middle of pg.3 of this thread), although I had originally hoped for at least 30 or so. Now that Fox is set to distribute the MGM catalog (including the old United Artists catalog), it would be nice if they extended the series to at least 40 but we'll probably just have to wait and see. They may release film noir titles from this acquisition outside the present series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:33 am 

They will be only distributing MGM titles, although nobody is stopping MGM to start their own "United Artist Film Noir" series or something similar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:55 am 

Yes, perhaps I fooled myself into hoping MGM would make some kind of agreement with Fox and release some of its film noir holdings in the same vein as the Fox series, which has already proven successful. All I'm really hoping is that some of the UA titles see the light of day as rapidly and in similar quality to the Fox series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:23 am 

Well, I just looked up Boomerang on several online retailers' sites, and it's completely absent from them. It's still listed on dvdempire, but only as being "on order". I wonder if Borders stores still have a few, but I guess those who were able to snag a copy (including me \:D/) lucked out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next