It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:40 pm 

davidhare wrote:
Silver and Ursini on Nightmare Alley - in which Ursini says something as fact and Silver then contradicts him - this happens more than once!

Dude I got so angry at Silver on that commentary, for the first hour after I finished the commentary track I was convinced I was going to write to Fox & complain about that smarmy shtup. Hey Alan: that sure as hell was NOT violins, when you were so smug laughing at James chuckling saying that's a TOTALLY natural VIOLIN sound..

I thought I was the only dude whose on the brink of swilling Drano if he heard another half informed commentary with these two again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:06 pm 

Yeah. I would much rather see someone like Mueller who has visibly improved get even tighter and more together and give the Silver?Ursini duo a run for their money.

A general point about commentaries - I have had an allergy to them frankly since the old Laserdisc days. There were very few I enjoyed enough to ever replay - the Powell/Scorsese track on Black Narcissus is one and I still play it. But in all honesty, how often do people listen to even a good commentary track. Twice? only once? Once I've gotten what I want from it I really don't to disrupt any more viewings of the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:28 am 

davidhare wrote:
But in all honesty, how often do people listen to even a good commentary track. Twice? only once? Once I've gotten what I want from it I really don't to disrupt any more viewings of the movie.

how about if the commentary makes viewing that film a different experience? Such as the delight of watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with Hunter Thompson. I listen to him talk about the film as often as I watch the movie uncommented.

Also, inept commentaries often ask for repeat listens. I dare those who complain about these Fox Noir Collection commentaries to hear the Persona commentary with Marc Gervais.

"Oooh, a spider!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:03 am 

ka mai wrote:
The only Fox Noir commentary I've listened to so far is Ursini and Silver on House of Bamboo, and from comments here it seems like it is indicitive of the quality of their other commentaries in the series (about 30 minutes of interesting commentary surrounded by a lot of pointless, under-prepared banter). I was surprised by this because I remembered enjoying Ursini's solo commentary on Out of the Past.

I thought Ursini's track on OUT OF THE PAST totally mediocre. Admittedly I love the film very much, but I could have delivered a better one unprepared. I find it a bit annoying that often the commentators are picked in a rather random way. It's like having a book (e.g. the BFI film classics) included with the DVD and I find it very disappointing if such a great opportunity is botched completely by the folks who make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:15 pm 

On the website for the Noir City Film Festival in San Francisco next month it says "Fox Home Entertainment, in the midst of its 24-film series of film noir DVDs, is also a proud sponsor."

Anyone heard of this collection being finite before this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:28 pm 

All praise Eddie Mueller!! The City that Never Sleeps! (Never seen and on the lust list.) The Fox cable print of City Streets is extremely impressive - this is presumably the restoration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:11 am 

davidhare wrote:
All praise Eddie Mueller!! The City that Never Sleeps! (Never seen and on the lust list.) The Fox cable print of City Streets is extremely impressive - this is presumably the restoration.

Christ I love that movie. Hearkens back to my APPLAUSE post from several weeks ago singing Mamoulian's praises-- for his initial run of features 1929 to the mid thirties. My print is a TV VHS passed to me from a collector, probably pre-restoration as the audio is filled with edit pops-- usually the first to go during cleanup.

One of the most moving scenes with Sylvia Sidney (I'd build a time machine just to go back in time to gulp in that womans body in mouthfulls) in prison getting her visit from "Kid", through the wire mesh.

Lee Garmes w Rouben M.... a combo that you don't get every day. A watershed like his work on Dr. J & Mr. H w the great Karl Struss.

Reminds me of another cruelly overlooked noir from the following decade whose title I used to be forever mixing up w this one: SIDE STREET, by Anthony Mann. This title I believe is also missing from the home video market. Love the old NYC location shots, especially the 3rd Avenue El.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:42 pm 

milk114 wrote:
On the website for the Noir City Film Festival in San Francisco next month it says
" Fox Home Entertainment, in the midst of its 24-film series of film noir DVDs, is also a proud sponsor."
http://www.noircity.com/noircity.html
Anyone heard of this collection being finite before this?

It would be possible for them to go a little beyond 24 titles with their holdings, which are far more sparse in films noirs than Warner of course. Even if they were to do 30 it might be pushing the limits of what they consider releasable. After March we'll have 15 titles, and I predict almost all of the remaining 9 will be from among these:
The Lodger
Hangover Square
Blueprint for Murder
Vicki (released 8/29)
Road House (1948)
Night Without Sleep
Fourteen Hours (released 8/29)
13th Letter
House of Strangers (released 6/6)
Cry of the City
Boomerang! (released 6/6)
Brasher Doubloon (not coming)
I Wake Up Screaming (released 6/6)
Man Hunt
Swamp Water
Violent Saturday
Seven Thieves

Anchor Bay was going to release Road House but it's been delayed or canceled.

Last edited by Gregory on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:29 pm 

Just beautiful! I'm glad they changed cover for No Way Out. The previous one was just Blah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:08 am 

Ashirg wrote:
Just beautiful! I'm glad they changed cover for No Way Out. The previous one was just Blah!

Fucking thing looks like an episode of the Brilliant But Cancelled MARCUS WELBY'S INTERN from The Golden Age Of Television Brought To You By Crest (and the color plaid).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:59 am 

In my opinion, all the covers in this series would look much better if they hadn't ruined the poster art by slanting them back and to the left, hideously contorting the images on the posters. What effect were they going for, the view from the last seat on the far side of the front row of the movie theater?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:23 am 

According to Amazon and TLA Video, the following noirs will be released on June 6th.

Boomerang
Extras: Deleted Scenes
Audio commentary (Film Historians Alain Silver and Jame Ursini)
Poster Gallery
Photo gallery

House of Strangers
Extras: Trailers
Audio commentary (Film Author & Historian Foster Hirsch)
Photo gallery

I Wake Up Screaming
Extras: Trailers
Audio commentary (Film Noir Historian Eddie Muller)
Production Stills Gallery; Unit Photography Gallery
Photo gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:11 pm 

I just have to say that if you haven't purchased, or watched 'House on Telegraph Hill', do so immediately!

I just finished watching it. Everything about it is amazing. An excellent film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:21 pm 

I'm looking to pick up another noir title and I'm trying to decide between The Dark Corner, No Way Out, or Panic Streets. Any suggestions or opinions of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:21 am 

Get them all cysiam they are great!But of the three you listed I would go with No Way Out or Panic In The Streets.Richard Widmark's over the top racist performance in No Way Out is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:16 pm 

Widmark and Poitier are both good, and Darnell is simply terrific. But the Stephen McNaughton "liberal" character and his sermonizing is a real pain. Mank's own sceenplay here teeters into Krameritis. I think it's the weakest of the Mank Fox Noirs so far.

While not a Noir Five Fingers badly needs a R1 release, although the UK disc is quite acceptable. The writing is wonderful (The dialogue between the German and Japanese envoys expressing their revulsion to Wagner for instance) and the movie plays as a brilliant darkly semi-comedic chamber thriller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:42 pm 

Full specs and art are up for the June releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 pm 

My copy of Nightmare Alley doesn't have an insert like all of the other noirs I've bought, is this just my copy or are all of them lacking one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:16 pm 

mine had the insert, as did the 6 other fox noir discs I bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:23 pm 

I thought as much, thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:39 am 

cysiam wrote:

cysiam, my copy didn't have an insert either. I wonder if there was a batch w/o them. All my other volumes have inserts....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:01 pm 

Another wave comming this August:

Quote:
Fourteen Hours (1951)
1.33:1 Full Frame
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Historian Foster Hirsch
Interactive Pressbook Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

Shock (1946)
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with John Stanley
Theatrical Trailer

Vicki (1953)
English Stereo & Mono
Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Historian Foster Hirsch
Poster Art Gallery
Behind-the-Scenes Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:35 am 

bkimball wrote:
cysiam wrote:

cysiam, my copy didn't have an insert either. I wonder if there was a batch w/o them. All my other volumes have inserts....

Too bad you didn't have the insert-- it's a good one, outlining the background of the film with some interesting stuff, vs. the other inserts in the series, which tend to be pretty cursory stuff. Let them know, I'm sure they'll send you one.

EDIT: Glad to see the jettisoning of Alain "Discoboy Peanuthead" Silver is holding. That guy's nancing arrogance (particularly on NIGHTMARE ALLEY, coincidentally), especially vs. Ursini, irritates me to no end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:57 am 

SHOCK!! how awesome! been wanting to see this since i saw the Vincent Price documentary on the Laura disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:28 pm 

FYI- all the Fox film noirs are on sale at deepdiscountdvd at $9.97- buy 2 get 1 free.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next